RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Amazing portfolio

Old 05-16-2008, 09:15 AM

Re: Amazing portfolio

The photographs are more like theatrical settings and from reading posts on the workflow and analysing the images myself it seems as though he approaches pp in that manner. The background, subject and foregrounds are treated differently. The lighting in the backgrounds are soft and low contrast whereas the subject is generally much stronger with occasional blown out highlights. It also seems as though he ties them all together using gradients and multiply mode with some d&b. I am of course guessing and may be totally wrong. Either way he has amazing ability to use natural light, create amazing compositions and capture his subjects in beautiful momments in addition to clever pp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before.jpg (97.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg aftre.jpg (98.8 KB, 59 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-16-2008, 01:55 PM

Undoubtedly there is a lot of post work done on these images, BUT, lighting is still lighting, and art is still art, no matter what when and where the steps were taken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 03:52 PM

OK, I guess it's just me, but I'm thinking Rarindra Prakarsa has a lot of people bamboozled. I believe he uses a lot of manipulation and I have serious doubts as to how it would hold up at larger sizes. I have not been able to find anywhere that show he would be selling stock or prints. As we know the easiest way to hide flaws in manipulations is to make it small. Does anyone know of anyway to view his work at a larger size?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Spears View Post
OK, I guess it's just me, but I'm thinking Rarindra Prakarsa has a lot of people bamboozled. I believe he uses a lot of manipulation and I have serious doubts as to how it would hold up at larger sizes. I have not been able to find anywhere that show he would be selling stock or prints. As we know the easiest way to hide flaws in manipulations is to make it small. Does anyone know of anyway to view his work at a larger size?

You asked me in this thread to post my comment here:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/har...opinion-2.html

MrAlexajlex:

"...both Rarindra and I have an XTi.
The last time I checked however, my pics were nowhere near his quality level.

He is a master of chiaroscuro, composition, Photoshop editing.
These traits are his and independent of what camer he uses, or what the size of his pics are when resized for the web. "

The rest of my comments are in the other thread (see link above).

I checked out your site and your work is exquisite.

I did however notice that in your flash portfolio most of the pics are 800x500px~

I guess whatever you say about him having only small size pics can be said about you as well.

In reality I don't think that is the case for either of you.

I believe that both you and Rarindra have high res pics that you work on.

In the end the reason Rarindra has the small pics online is probably because of the gallery rules on forums.

Just something to think about.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlexajlex View Post

You asked me in this thread to post my comment here:

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/har...opinion-2.html

MrAlexajlex:

"...both Rarindra and I have an XTi.
The last time I checked however, my pics were nowhere near his quality level.

He is a master of chiaroscuro, composition, Photoshop editing.
These traits are his and independent of what camer he uses, or what the size of his pics are when resized for the web. "

The rest of my comments are in the other thread (see link above).

I checked out your site and your work is exquisite.

I did however notice that in your flash portfolio most of the pics are 800x500px~

I guess whatever you say about him having only small size pics can be said about you as well.

In reality I don't think that is the case for either of you.

I believe that both you and Rarindra have high res pics that you work on.

In the end the reason Rarindra has the small pics online is probably because of the gallery rules on forums.

Just something to think about.
Mr.Alex,
First, thank you for the complement on my work. Actually, it is through my own experience that has led me to be suspicious. In the past I have done extreme manipulations that I thought looked very good until I made a large print of it. Then everything just fell apart. Through that process I learned and continue to lean to closely inspect things that could come back to bite me in the ass.
Like I said, I believe that Rarindra Prakarsa's work is very heavily manipulated. For my nickel, nothing wrong with that at all as long as it doesn't show. At close inspection I see some things on some images that just don't look right too me, but hard to tell for sure at that size. So I started searching. If in fact his work did stand up at larger sizes it would be made to order for selling as fine art prints. I looked and looked but couldn't find anything that suggested that he was using the images for anything but showing on the web. This make me very suspicious. Show me where he sells prints or stock photos. Has anybody in this world seen a full size image of his?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-08-2008, 08:11 PM

Rarindra Prakarsa's Photo.net profile says "Any question about commercial use, buy printed photos or any questions about photography please send me email."

I guess someone who is interested in knowing about the availability of larger prints could make such a request.

I haven't seen a full size image of his work posted anywhere on the internet, and don't know if it would stand up to large-scale printing or not. I do appreciate the artistry in his work, at the size he has posted. If is available in even larger sizes, that would be wonderful, if it is not, I will continue to appreciate his artwork as it is.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2008, 02:02 AM

http://www.fotocommunity.com/forum/r...51&i=132&t=132

http://www.fotocommunity.com/pc/acco...profile/574065

Little discussion in the FC.com channel.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=24971754

http://www.redferret.net/?p=9989

Last edited by The Baron; 07-09-2008 at 02:18 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2008, 04:07 AM

Thanx Baron. Especially the DPreview link there was quite useful!
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Spears View Post
Mr.Alex,
First, thank you for the complement on my work. Actually, it is through my own experience that has led me to be suspicious. In the past I have done extreme manipulations that I thought looked very good until I made a large print of it. Then everything just fell apart. Through that process I learned and continue to lean to closely inspect things that could come back to bite me in the ass.
Like I said, I believe that Rarindra Prakarsa's work is very heavily manipulated. For my nickel, nothing wrong with that at all as long as it doesn't show. At close inspection I see some things on some images that just don't look right too me, but hard to tell for sure at that size. So I started searching. If in fact his work did stand up at larger sizes it would be made to order for selling as fine art prints. I looked and looked but couldn't find anything that suggested that he was using the images for anything but showing on the web. This make me very suspicious. Show me where he sells prints or stock photos. Has anybody in this world seen a full size image of his?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=28225678

"In "Popular Photography Magazine - June 2008" there is an article about Rarindra Prakarsa technique. It's a kind of interview with him. I think it's interesting."

Hopefully this is proof enough that he is on top of his game.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlexajlex View Post
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=28225678

"In "Popular Photography Magazine - June 2008" there is an article about Rarindra Prakarsa technique. It's a kind of interview with him. I think it's interesting."

Hopefully this is proof enough that he is on top of his game.
I don't know. I went to the library but they didn't have Popular Photography. Tried online and they are showing the April 08 as their current edition. Will try B&N tomorrow. Did it say something to indicate that they had seen a print or full size image?
Were you referring too the number and creditability of people that have endorsed his work? If so you could add Scott Kelby to your list. However, judging through out history to present would lead me to believe that's barely an indicator, much less proof. Now, if they were saying they purchased a print or claimed to have seen a larger version in some form or another that would be a different story. I will say yes he does beautiful work, so much so that I would think he would have a cash machine selling fine art prints. That is if...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography