RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Canon Powershot G2 or Nikon Coolpix 5000

Old 05-03-2002, 04:05 PM

Lisa,
I belong to a group of Nikon 5000 owners at yahoo. I'm not sure if it'll be any value to you but you might find it interesting.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nikon5000
Sandra
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-03-2002, 04:27 PM

Hi Lisa,

I goofed. What I ment to say was the auto settings. Could you give that a try at your daughter's birthday party?

Sandra, thanks for posting the Nikon Yahoo link.

Sharon
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-04-2002, 11:49 PM

Thanks for the link Sanda, I'll be checking it out and I'll let you know what I've learned.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2002, 10:19 AM

To all you Nikon 5000 users,

I have the Nikon 950, so I won’t be upgrading for a while. I’ll probably wait a few more generations.

I took an online digital camera course a few years ago when I first received my Nikon 900. As you can see, I have already upgraded once. It was interesting that almost every member of the class, some who had had their cameras for almost a year, had not read their instruction manuals. Also, no one was using any of the manual features of their cameras.

The course forced me to use the manual settings and it was well worth it. The auto settings worked extremely well, which I’m sure is true for the 5000, but I like the control that the manual settings give you. I do not work with my camera on constant enough bases for many of the manual options to be truly instinctive, but I’m slowly getting there.

I use the spot metering much more than the matrix setting. This way I have better control over the final image.

If you have the time, a good way to get used to any manual feature is to use it for a while and bracket the settings so that you can compare the differences. I often do this inside, so that I use the camera’s power cord. I do not care if the pictures are great since I’m looking to learn.

Two of my friends, both professionals, have the 5000 and it is really a beauty.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2002, 10:40 AM

Thanks for the tip Alan. I stayed up way too late last night reading the manual. That in itself can be intimidating! However, that said, I'm not one for auto settings. I learned how to make a mini movie last night - which was fun. We've finally had a sunny day, so I'll be working outside with the camera.

The manual is overwhelming for a beginner... I took out my pink highlighter and started learning one step at a time. I have only delved into learning the menu and setting date, reformatting, deleting and viewing features. My camera reminds me of my computer: There is so much to learn and the potential is so great... that it's up to me to discover just what it has to offer.

Nothing is truly instinctive until we do it enough times that we can do it in our sleep Works for me... now I just have to learn how to sleep

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2002, 11:07 AM

Hi Lisa,

It is a good idea to read the manual for an over view of the camera’s features. Also, the CD manual is even better than the book. I’m assuming that one came with your camera.

Once you have the overall view, than I suggest that you work on the features as you find the need for them. My camera came with a quick sheet of all the commands, etc. which I keep in my camera bag.

I still do not have the feel of the digital camera that I have with a 35mm. I will probably upgrade in a few years when I retire. Hopefully, the digital cameras will have faster shutter speeds and interchangeable lenses.

I find that looking forward to the future is what keeps me young at heart. I’ll be 67 this summer, but only my body knows it.

Alan
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2002, 10:17 PM

I'm in awe right now. I took a picture of my daughter against our wood weather worn fence and the quality of a 5 mega pixel camera in comparison to my old 2.2 is stunning! I have been fooling around with the settings a bit and familiarizing myself with the menu. I have learned how to make a small mpeg, and how to adjust lighting, and center weight, matrix, etc settings. It will take me a while.... but I have already discovered that the auto settings are not accurate enough for me. I'll have to figure out how to post a few shots in order for you to see.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2002, 05:07 PM

Lisa,
I came across a couple of sites which have great information on the Coolpix 5000, thought you might be interested.
http://www.nikondigital.org/discuss/ubbthreads.php?Cat=
and
http://www.dpreview.com
both have good forums discussing the CP5000
Sandra
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2002, 05:59 PM

I have a couple of awesome shots I took today fooling around with white balance and metering. I just wish I knew where to post them for you to see the clarity.

Lisa
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-08-2002, 07:11 PM

Congrats on the toy Lisa! Maybe you could post a cropped part of a photo? ...I'm so jealous!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography