RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Lens to use and copy table

Old 04-03-2008, 03:31 PM

Lens to use and copy table

In the restoration forum someone mentioned using a copy table or copy stand to photo an older picture too large to scan. Does anyone have plans for a copy table for this do it yourselfer ? What lights do you use etc. Also any suggestions on a good lens to purchase for this type project. Does it have to be macro? I am using a Canon XT digital.

bcarll
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-03-2008, 04:59 PM

Re: Lens to use and copy table

Rude and crude, take a regular table, place it so you have some room at one end or side, mount your camera on a tripod, lay the tripod flat on the table with its legs together, place some heavy objects (books or bricks or?) on the legs so the tripod will not tip off the table and point the camera at the original that is laying on the floor beneath it.

Lights can be most anything as long as you can adjust them so that they are of equal intensity on the original. Remember that light changes intensity when the distance from the light to the original changes. If doing color include a color chart on one of the images then balance the others to it. It really does not make any difference what the color temperature of the lights are, adjust your white balance to it.

Macro's are better but it depends on fussy you are and on the size of the original. It is better to use all of the cameras frame rather than just part of it.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-04-2008, 02:09 AM

Get a cheap old enlarger from ebay, remove the head and mount your camera there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfischer View Post
Get a cheap old enlarger from ebay, remove the head and mount your camera there.
Not a bad idea, especially if one could find an old Omega with the column that goes up at an angle rather than an enlarger with a vertical column.

But I am not sure that one would have to buy one on ebay. I spent 2 years or so trying to sell a Omega 4x5 enlarger, then another year trying to give it away for free!
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 11:45 AM
Patron

On the cheap.. made for coins but could be adapted for larger pictures.. the level is a great idea to keep things parallel
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/t...TOPIC_ID=19857
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-05-2008, 12:15 PM

Hi bcarll

A scanner is still the easiest way.

If a picture is too big for the scanner then scan it in sections and stitch it back together.

There is a tutorial here

http://retouchpro.com/tutorials/?m=show&id=125

Ken.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-25-2008, 07:54 PM

Agreed. I have done that with quite a few over sized prints. Just do it in sections and put it back together. Not only can you get the whole image, but you can scan it at ridiculous resolution. You're not likely to get that by shooting it with a camera, since the sensor's resolution will be divided over the entire image surface. You're lighting will be better too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2009, 07:45 AM

Both ideas are good, shooting it and scanning in sections. I do both. REally depends what you are using it for. I prefer the quickest most trouble free way for the use in the end. As for the copy-stand, if your going to use it on a regular basis (few times a month even) Use a table or even the floor, two cheap lightstands and two cheap 12 inch (10" OK) reflectors with 150 watt or equivalent fluorescent type bulbs. Set them on each side about 4 ft away for good light dispersion and at 30 degrees (I know 45 is what everyone likes) so that the light washes over the thing your copying. Set a white balance and have fun.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2009, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFrazier View Post
Agreed. I have done that with quite a few over sized prints. Just do it in sections and put it back together. Not only can you get the whole image, but you can scan it at ridiculous resolution. You're not likely to get that by shooting it with a camera, since the sensor's resolution will be divided over the entire image surface. You're lighting will be better too.
Interesting that I can take my camera, produce an image of a person, enlarge that image to fill a 30 x 40 inch print and be able to count the hairs on the subjects head, but not have enough resolution to copy say an old photo and make a decent print from it?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-26-2009, 12:19 PM

Well, when shooting life the light is there, the contrast range is there, shape and color are there, it's a feast meant for a lens. Take that same lens and copy a photo or any flat art and not too pretty. It really isn't about pretty it's about duplicating. Remember, real life has big dynamic range but what your copying has a very short range by contrast (OK so I made a pun) so if you copy something with at most a dynamic range of 2.0 fix it in post. In the film days we printed it on a more contrasty paper to get some umph back, and soooo, the beat goes on.

Last edited by PixFixGuy; 06-26-2009 at 12:25 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography