RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Composition in photography

Old 08-28-2008, 04:07 PM

Re: Composition in photography

Just finsihed to read this (long) thread. It takes me a while, but it was worth I hope we will see new ecamples soon
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2008, 10:36 AM

How have i done on this example with composition ?
I am trying to take on board what has been advised and i think i may be making small but sure steps

I Know the photo has a few other problems but it was took as a quick snap to show someone that this path existed using my compact p&s and has served its purpose and is due for the recylce bin so thought i would practice

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg path-1.jpg (96.1 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg path2.jpg (95.9 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2008, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
How have i done on this example with composition ?
I am trying to take on board what has been advised and i think i may be making small but sure steps
Palms
Palms, I think your crop really improved the composition - especially at the top of the image by removing the bit of sky that didn't add anything important to the subject.

Let's see what others think?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2008, 04:20 PM

I do like the crop but I tried leaving the little patch of grassland at the top---if you do that I felt that the round building should be cloned out. I also eliminated the trunk to the lower left. I'm not convinced you need to keep the patch of grassland --I just wanted to see how it looked. I also did a levels adjustment and I reduced the blue color cast-- It looked kind of like everything was the same shade of green in your second image so I didn't reduce the blue as much as yours. I ran unsharp mask and this is what I came up with.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg path-1.jpg (206.4 KB, 26 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2008, 03:11 PM

Nice take swarbees and some food for thought

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2008, 08:14 PM

I wouldn't recycle that one. It just needs a little TLC to be a spectacular image. I took swarbees levels a few steps further. I fine tuned the white balance and temperature, added highlights and shadows, and a few other minor things.
It really is a beautiful shot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg path-1.jpg (94.3 KB, 24 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2008, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFrazier View Post
I wouldn't recycle that one. It just needs a little TLC to be a spectacular image. I took swarbees levels a few steps further. I fine tuned the white balance and temperature, added highlights and shadows, and a few other minor things.
It really is a beautiful shot.
Thank you Alex for your work and inspiration i love seeing how people have different takes, will look at the photo now with new eyes

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2009, 07:48 PM

Really great thread, a big thanks for all the input of knowledge. Here are my crops from the examples. I used a 16x9 ratio crop for all. The first I went after the most depth, the water leading off into the distance. The second I put their eyes on a golden ratio line, but made the focal point the figure way back in the alley. The third I felt the fruit stand was the main point so put it's main opening on the golden ratio line. The fourth follows the road ending with the trees on the golden ratio line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg crop1-MA.jpg (194.3 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg crop2-MA.jpg (159.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg crop3-MA.jpg (137.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg crop4-MA.jpg (199.4 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by MiningArt; 07-15-2009 at 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 PM

The link below clarifies what the "golden ratio line" is as mentioned by Mining Art above. The whole article is worth reading. This ratio Mining Art talks about is widely used in architecture, art, photography, etc. The mathematician who is credited for bringing it to the forefront of society is Fibonacci. I've attached a very brief note about the formula. Try it. It works!

http://www.photoinf.com/Golden_Mean/...lden_Ratio.htm

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Composition-Rules.jpg (74.6 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-21-2009, 03:27 PM

What a really interesting thread, just finished reading this from the beginning.
I'm trying to think just how many of these guidlines / rules etc my brain computes just before the shutter is pressed and it's not that many lol..
May be i can train myself to combine the guidlines with instinct and react quick enough not to miss the shot, easy enough with a landscape thats not going anywhere, more difficult when it's past paced with differing lighting conditions and moving subjects..
Somebody mentioned photoshop earlier on being referred to as a one stop solution for everything, it's useful for enhancing an image beyond what a raw converter can do, but it can't repair a bad composition or change a wrong angle when cropping etc..
A very high percentage of the success of a good image is the lighting, composition, angle etc etc... stuff that needs thought, feeling, emotion, passion and raw artistic talent... i do admire these people, for us mere mortals it means practice and more of the same.
I have seen incredible shots done with a point and shoot, so although it's helpful to have the camera setup properly, the resulting image is more to do with making the picture than "taking it",
regards,
Gary..
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography