RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Composition in photography

Old 05-29-2008, 12:01 PM

Re: Composition in photography

Have a good trip, Hawkeye. I look forward to seeing how your photography has improved in light of this thread. Bon Voyage!

David
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye60 View Post
Thanks to everyone for their informative input...I am leaving for a trip to Israel and then on to Egypt (my 2nd time there) next week. I'll definately be taking more photos, hopefully I'll be taking along a "better eye" as well.
Travel safe, and don't forget your charger!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2008, 03:40 PM

Thank you all for the help and the kind send offs. I leave next Saturday.

In the mean time, at the risk of monopolizing this thread, I'll make this my last post....This is a picture I took in 2004 of a small village in Egypt. As it was taken from a moving bus, there was no chance to change perspective or get another shot, and the composition was obviously rushed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Egypt2004-001.jpg (99.2 KB, 41 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2008, 04:18 PM

For a drive-by shooting, this is right on target and nicely composed as is, hawkeye. If anything, trimming a bit off the left might help a bit. I could perhaps suggest some subtle enhancement strategies, but the composition is quite strong IMO.

P.S. Have an enjoyable trip...
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2008, 05:35 PM

I agree with Lonnie. Taking a bit off the left will move your focal point off-center to the left more. Also, you might try cropping off the bottom a bit, as the pavement adds no info to the photo, other than this is a roadside scene.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 07:05 AM

Hawkeye have a great trip and as you are going to Egypt will you be taking some photo's of pyramids ? becuse you will have the triangle bit of composition done for you

Janet been a bit bust of late but will get around to looking at your people photo's and maybe asking a few questions

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 12:57 PM

Let's keep this going shall we?

Generally speaking, people photos have a more specific subject matter than scenics or architecturals. Janet already offered a portrait of an individual and demonstrated a very effective tight crop interpretation.

With that in mind, here's another people snapshot with some scenic value. However, it suffers from a couple of very typical "point and shoot" shortcomings. How would you correct/crop this photo? State your reasoning.

Disreqard the low quality (small size, jpeg artifacts, etc.) and concentrate primarily on composition.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CropThis.jpg (95.8 KB, 31 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Patron

As a side note to Janet..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty View Post
I've been helping teach beginners the basics of photography; <clip>
One of the reasons I ask is that even after drilling composition into students for a full semester, the majority of their portfolios at the end of the semester ignored composition. Bull's-eye vision was the predominant theme.
<clip>
Janet
I am sure your photography classes spends time studying famous photographs by respected photographers. Have the students imitate the same styles and techniques. For example, look at close-up photos by any of the renowned photographers and talk about their careful use of shadow and texture to help the viewer see ordinary objects in totally new ways. Then have the students select an object of their choice and, using the same techniques, come up with their own versions of his photos. The resulting images will be original and creative, even though they were directly imitating another artist’s work. In fact, the more restrictions you placed on the compositional elements within a given photo project, the more creative the students will become.
Learning by imitation will give them practice and experience they would not get otherwise and may become second nature in the future. (The Photographers Eye)
Just a thought!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lonnie,
The photographer's intention is clear and the main subject is obvious, after straightening I cropped out extra elements that I was not interested in and felt distracted from the subjects. The perspective leads the eye to your main subject and suggest depth to the photo. All the parts of the picture work together to maintain the ambiance of the shot. As it is, the photo speaks for itself and will probably bring back some fond memories.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CropThisOK.jpg (99.1 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 03:51 PM

Late in the day and a bit tired so i had a go at this but what i thought and not what i have learnt from this thread

I made the two ladies a bit more prominent, but left the street in with the man as i wanted to see where they had been and what was round the corner, and cut out what i thought was extra mainly at the top and bottom and tried to straighten a bit

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CropThis.jpg (83.5 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
Late in the day and a bit tired so i had a go at this but what i thought and not what i have learnt from this thread

I made the two ladies a bit more prominent, but left the street in with the man as i wanted to see where they had been and what was round the corner, and cut out what i thought was extra mainly at the top and bottom and tried to straighten a bit

Palms
The hydrant or whatever it is does seem intrusive to me. I would probably try to crop that out as well.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography