RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Do you want to LEARN to USE your camera?

Old 07-15-2008, 09:24 PM

Re: Do you want to LEARN to USE your camera?

Thanks Palms1:
I just bought a Canon Rebel xsi. I have learned a lot of the buttons and their functions. I have the 18/55 lens and also bought the 50mm f1.8 to try and take some portrait pictures of my grandchildren. I want to learn how to take pictures in other modes besides the auto, like Av and TV and P and some day Manual. I have learned how to set the camera for raw and jpg at the same time and also learned about the Adobe Ding Converter so I can open them in photoshop thanks to people here at retouch. I am also learning how to use the DPP software program to edit my pictures. It is the program that came with my camera. I have learned a lot of things..EXCEPT how to get the kind of pictures I want in other modes. So now that is the most important thing I want to learn. I am still confused about apature and shutter speed. I do have ISO settings figured out. I like video tutorials and learn th ebest with them. Reading is just not my way to learn, visual hands on learner here!! Do post back and let us know your camera and what you hope and want to learn . Thanks Neb

Last edited by nebgranny; 07-15-2008 at 09:35 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-15-2008, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny View Post
Thanks Palms1:
I just bought a Canon Rebel xsi. I have learned a lot of the buttons and their functions. I have the 18/55 lens and also bought the 50mm f1.8 to try and take some portrait pictures of my grandchildren. I want to learn how to take pictures in other modes besides the auto, like Av and TV and P and some day Manual. ...I have learned a lot of things..EXCEPT how to get the kind of pictures I want in other modes. So now that is the most important thing I want to learn. I am still confused about apature and shutter speed. I do have ISO settings figured out. I like video tutorials and learn the best with them. ...
Neb, if you're able to view videos on YouTube.com, there are some that might interest you --

Choosing the right exposure mode - Canon XSi

Shutter and Aperture modes

Setting Custom White Balance

Auto Exposure lock

Canon XSi - external buttons

Post what you think about the videos - there are more available on YouTube and might be a nice way to learn.

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 07-16-2008 at 12:09 AM. Reason: added links
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 06:08 AM

CJ, thanks for starting this thread. i am trying to learn a little about my new camera in other than auto mode but don't really want to get caught up in a site dedicated to photography as i have enough distractions from the photoshop skills i'm working on! i've already learned from a couple of these links i watched. they are short, to the point, give before/after examples and for me work better than reading about settings. now to try them out before i forget. maybe my next sunset and rainbow pictures won't be so washed out!
doreen
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 06:51 AM

Thank you CJ for the links, i have looked at a couple of them and found i liked the manner and style of the first one so i have bookmarked the other links by the same author and will study them in the near future (even though they are not specific for my camera)

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 07:31 AM

CJ, Got it right this time..Wink-Wink:
These are really great ! I have watched the first two this morning already. I like that I can watch them over and over(You know the ole memery is not as it used to be)! You found some good ones. When I did a search for myself some came up on UTube and were not that good. How did you find such good ones?

I am going to call the Camera store today as think there might be something wrong with my camera. I was taking a picture last night and the flash just kept flickering!! The other day I was taking a picture of a flower and getting close to get a nice close up and when I hit the shutter button to take the picture it just made a continious clicking sound. Something is not right. I am not having the best luck with cameras . I origionaly bought the xti and had to take it back and then the xsi came out so I added a little more money to the pot and bought the xsi. I sacrificed the telephoto lens though as I used it for awhile with the xti and was a little disappointed in it. So I decided not to get the kit and wait and get a better telephoto lens down the road.

I think with people like you, I will learn this camera and how to take some nice pictures in other modes than Auto. I had joined a group for a short time on Yahoo 2 days to be exact and posted a few questions about live view(someone else had the same question and no one responded ..should have gotten a clue then) The response I got was to read the manual!! The person said , what difference is there in reading the manual or reading a response to your question!! I said alot!! The manual can not respond back if I do not totally understand the reading and have a question, but on a GOOD forum or group people can respond and help you find some clarity. Needless to say I did unsubscribe. I remembered your post on Camera's and came back to old faithful Retouch where there ARE the best and friendliest people on the net!! That is how the other group promoted themselves !! LOL

Well thanks again for the links and great help, I appreciate it more than you know. When you invest in a decent camera one wants to learn to use it to it's full potential!!
Thanks so much. Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebgranny View Post
CJ, Got it right this time..Wink-Wink:
These are really great ! I have watched the first two this morning already. I like that I can watch them over and over(You know the ole memery is not as it used to be)! You found some good ones. When I did a search for myself some came up on UTube and were not that good. How did you find such good ones?

I am going to call the Camera store today as think there might be something wrong with my camera. I was taking a picture last night and the flash just kept flickering!! The other day I was taking a picture of a flower and getting close to get a nice close up and when I hit the shutter button to take the picture it just made a continious clicking sound. Something is not right. I am not having the best luck with cameras . I origionaly bought the xti and had to take it back and then the xsi came out so I added a little more money to the pot and bought the xsi. I sacrificed the telephoto lens though as I used it for awhile with the xti and was a little disappointed in it. So I decided not to get the kit and wait and get a better telephoto lens down the road.

I think with people like you, I will learn this camera and how to take some nice pictures in other modes than Auto. I had joined a group for a short time on Yahoo 2 days to be exact and posted a few questions about live view(someone else had the same question and no one responded ..should have gotten a clue then) The response I got was to read the manual!! The person said , what difference is there in reading the manual or reading a response to your question!! I said alot!! The manual can not respond back if I do not totally understand the reading and have a question, but on a GOOD forum or group people can respond and help you find some clarity. Needless to say I did unsubscribe. I remembered your post on Camera's and came back to old faithful Retouch where there ARE the best and friendliest people on the net!! That is how the other group promoted themselves !! LOL

Well thanks again for the links and great help, I appreciate it more than you know. When you invest in a decent camera one wants to learn to use it to it's full potential!!
Thanks so much. Neb
The flash will flicker (if you are in AUTO) or in any other mode (M, Av, P, Tv,etc.) if you've manually activated it (the little button on the side). It does this to when the light levels are too low and it cannot lock focus.

This is the inbody AF assist beam and it lights the scene with repeated flash bursts so the camera can lock focus. You can disable this from the menu (custom functions: set flash to not emit). This is normal behavior.

If you get an external speedlight like the 580EXII I have it has a red light which is the AF assist beam. It is more in obtrusive and works a lot better.

I really recommend looking at POTN (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/) the #1 Canon photography forum. Great resources and write ups.

I've been a member of that forum for quite a while and while my knowledge of camera operations (worked with Mamiya gear) is very solid I constantly learn how to tweak other aspects (mainly lighting).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 AM

This post has little to do with "how" to use one's camera and more to do with basics of photography. Understanding these few basics will help with camera settings and increase familiarity with how the camera functions, especially if one practices. Learning basics is essential to photography and essential in understanding one's camera. If one understands how these elements work together, then understanding camera settings becomes easier as well.

Learning the meanings of some common words used in photography helps negate confusion. A few terms are: aperture, ISO (used to be ASA a long time ago), film speed, shutter speed, shutter priority, aperture priority, depth-of-field, lens opening (f-stop)...

I made a rough chart that explains (hopefully) a little bit about some basic problems beginners have while learning to take pictures and while learning their cameras. Typos are free. The rest is open to discussion, clarification, and debate. I hope this helps.

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f-shops-and-shutter-speeds.jpg (192.3 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by Janet Petty; 07-16-2008 at 07:38 PM. Reason: replaced chart with major typo corrected
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 11:01 AM

Hi Janet, just one little thing pertaining to your chart:

You wrote "Big number=less depth of field....Small number=larger focus depth". It's actually the opposite. The wider your aperture is (smaller f number which translate in a "bigger hole") the shallower your depth of field will be.

I've added a few quick photos (no PP) taken to demontrate this. Notice how the car is becoming more "in focus" while the actual focus remains on the flower (due to the increasing Depth of Field).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A-POR_6470_RP.jpg (88.2 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg B-POR_6466_RP.jpg (57.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg C-POR_6467_RP.jpg (66.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg D-POR_6468_RP.jpg (69.9 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg E-POR_6469_RP.jpg (68.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by fpellerin; 07-16-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Added photos
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 02:48 PM

Thank you Janet, for your info I have saved it to go over when time permits ( that has been a problem this last week )

Frank that is a super way of seeing things thank you very much for the time and effort used

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 03:01 PM

My pleasure Palms!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography