RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Do you want to LEARN to USE your camera?

Old 07-16-2008, 03:52 PM

Re: Do you want to LEARN to USE your camera?

I am a visual and hands on learner and this is is just great Frank.

Thanks Janet for the time it took to put together the chart.

I appreciate both your time and effort. Neb
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 07:13 PM

Some links are repeats of those I posted in the first list, but putting them here may help keep the flow going for those who are trying to understand some of the important basics. These are all YouTube videos.

Exposure - what is it? (mentions aperture and shutter speed, but not ISO)

Camera exposure - goes over the basics

Shutter speed basics

Aperture - basic meaning, DOF - depth of field, (Repeats some of what other members have explained here - but repetition is helpful when learning)

Aperture sizes (your camera may NOT have the depth-of-field preview button shown here that makes it easier to see the change in aperture)

ISO settings - sensitivity to light

**(This is NOT a promotion for any instructor's DVD advertised on their video - I have no knowledge of the quality of the product and am only providing a link to these free video lessons.)

How to increase your available light (in order to capture your photo)
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpellerin View Post
Hi Janet, just one little thing pertaining to your chart:

You wrote "Big number=less depth of field....Small number=larger focus depth". It's actually the opposite. The wider your aperture is (smaller f number which translate in a "bigger hole") the shallower your depth of field will be.

I've added a few quick photos (no PP) taken to demontrate this. Notice how the car is becoming more "in focus" while the actual focus remains on the flower (due to the increasing Depth of Field).
You are quite right. My only excuse is that my morning wake up Janet hadn't kicked in yet. I changed it. If there are other typos, etc. chalk it up to the fact that I've had the flu all day today. Yuck!

Thanks.
Janet

Last edited by Janet Petty; 07-16-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-10-2008, 03:06 AM

Thank you for your help
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-23-2008, 07:11 AM

thanks for great resource
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty View Post
Ok, all those out there who are experimenting with camera settings, flash, or whatever, I have a question. Do you or have you used second-curtain flash for anything useful?

I recently took a class in using second-curtain flash. After I finally caught on and the capture was turning out like the instructor said it would, I tried it on ceiling fans, the school bus going down the street, the cat ( ), and some other things. Now, I admit to being extremely challenged when it comes to people shots. But what else can I use this for creatively? Nothing I tried worked as well as the studio lit, people shots.

Janet

example attached--This photo shares joint copyright with the model, the model's employer, and me. It is NOT to be duplicated or used anywhere else. Thank you.
THAT is stunning!! i must figure out how to do that...i have accidently caught a couple double exposure shots that i LOVE but i must figure out how to do it on purpose! haha
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Cheers CJ Swarts, great thread, and some very good posts and links to interesting sites.
First time for me on a Forum however the last couple of days i have learned a lot. I'm retired and doing a Photography Degree at Wolverhampton in the UK, so I'm learning a lot of different stuff, but since finding this site is really helping me a great deal, so thanks to everyone and keep that good advice coming in thanks James
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james grimston View Post
I'm retired and doing a Photography Degree at Wolverhampton in the UK, so I'm learning a lot of different stuff, but since finding this site is really helping me a great deal, so thanks to everyone and keep that good advice coming in thanks James
James,

So glad that you found the forum and found useful info. Since you're getting a degree in Photography, you can add some info from time to time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-22-2014, 01:02 AM

Hi, I am new here, but I am a photography coach and critiquer for digital-photo-secrets "Dash". The Dash is a month long tutorial on different subjects. There are two streams per month. For May it is post production and the Dash Blend, which is a general introduction to all the different types of photography. To read more you can go here http://www.digital-photo-secrets.com.../20854b63.html
I feel this would be a great resource for your members. I actually took the original Dash myself to see if it would be user friendly for me to refer people too and even though I have done photography for over 20 years I was amazed by how much my photography improved and I began to see things I hadn't before, it has also helped me to find my style, or the style I want to aspire too
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography