RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

New Camera Owner

Old 06-09-2008, 05:51 PM

New Camera Owner

Hello Everyone:
I just bought the Canon Rebel XSI. I have it set to shoot Raw. I wish to work with my pictures in photoshop CS2. The program does not recgonize the Raw files. I was told to go and get the update for my camera at Adobe. I checked and there is an update for Adobe® Photoshop® Camera Raw 4.4.1, however it says it is for Photoshop CS3 and Adobe Creative Suite 3, I have CS2 so does that leave me out!!

This is bothering me so if anyone migh thave the answer to this I would appreciate hearing what the verdict is on my working in Photoshop. Thanks to anyone who can help...Nebgranny

PS:I am not going to upgrade to CS3
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2008, 06:30 PM

Re: New Camera Owner

If your copy of CS2 is legal you can upgrade to CS3 for about $200.

If you don't have that option, I think you can get the latest PS Elelments
for under $100. and I believe it has the raw converter.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Download the .dng converter. Run it and then open your files (process) them in PS CS2. DNG is a non proprietary file format that you should not have to worry about your files in the future not being supported by anyone.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2008, 06:42 PM

Well I have a legal copy of photoshopcs2 but do not want to upgrade. So does this mean CS2 users are just left out?? This is not right.
So I spend 100's of dollars for a new camera just to have my photoshop program not be usable with it's images...This just plain is not right!! Nebgranny
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2008, 07:12 PM

Actually Ant has the easy solution.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2008, 08:23 PM

Agree with Ant.

However, you are correct in thinking this isn't fair. I went through the same thing with the same thoughts. I upgraded. I've not looked back since. CS3 was the way to go for me.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 03:17 PM

I have Canon 400D Rebel XTI. and Photoshop SC2 and don't have any problems opening raw files. But I also have Canon software which goes with camera (if u buying new). Zoom Browser, Digital Photo Professional and EOS Utility. And of course I can see raw in both Photoshop and Canon software.. mey be you need to install it? as far as I know they are for free (in case you don't have CD)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 04:24 PM

Yes, Ant hit the nail on the head. Get the DNG converted. All the RAW data is kept with the file. And actually it's a better format because if you make changes, the changes are retained with the file itself and not in a very losable "side car" meta data file.

Put your camera files in a folder, make a destination folder then run the DNG converter (which has a real nice naming format so you can name your files as they are converted) then store the DNG's safely on CD or something. Double click and the DNGs will open in Camera Raw.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 07:59 PM

Well I did download the DNG after calling Adobe , and giving the poor man a piece of my mind . But it sure makes it a longer process. I have to put the CR2 files from the card in a folder by themselves. And this takes forever because such huge files. I then make a new folder called DNG files. Then I open the converter find the CR2 folder ..convert them to DNG and have them save to the DNG folder I made. The longest part is getting the files from the card to a folder. This takes forever!!

And skauskas, I did get the software programs you mentioned with the purchase of my new camera. I have used it , but again a new learning curve comes with it. When I tried to use it and click on the tools icon it comes up as a narrow verticle box and is not attached to the program and when I open the raw file ..let me think what happens for sure..OK..The raw file opens full screen and it covers the whole Digital Photo Professional interface and then I have to pull the opened picture down a little to see the top of the DPP screen to be able to hit the tools icon and then when I do that the tools open as that verticle box which I have to pull to the side to work. What is going on with that??

How are you able to see the files in photoshop, do you have the converter?? You said..
Quote:
And of course I can see raw in both Photoshop and Canon software..
I can see the raw without converting using the DPP program , but still can not use the CR2 file in photoshop till I convert to DNG ?? I am confused how you can see them in photoshop??

I would just use the DPP but that darn tool box and the photo covering the whole interface is a pain for me too. What might I be doing wrong in that program? Can you help with that? I am trying so hard to learn all of these new things with the purchase of my new camera, shooting raw images , settings of the camera, it is both exciting and frustrating. Any help..newbie language will be much appreciated. Thanks Neb

I am a Granny and learning does not come that easy anymore LOL

Last edited by nebgranny; 06-17-2008 at 08:11 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 08:05 PM

Hey Swampy can you please explain this information you posted so I MIGHT understand it better? You said
Quote:
And actually it's a better format because if you make changes, the changes are retained with the file itself and not in a very losable "side car" meta data file.
What is a "side car" meta data file?? Thanks Swampy...Neb
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography