RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

B&W and Low Saturation Shots

Old 06-11-2008, 10:24 PM

Lightbulb B&W and Low Saturation Shots

Hey everyone. I've really fallen in love with Black and White and really low saturation images. I've taken a few that I think turned out "ok", but I'm finding that I'm not able to get that "wow" factor. I've included a few links to some of the images I've taken. If anyone has any tips, tricks, or suggestions for shooting with the intent to convert to B&W, I'd love to hear them.

As always, thanks in advance!

A View to a Kill (Hookie, yeah I know )
Timeless, Not Ageless
Chariot
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2008, 05:24 AM

Re: B&W and Low Saturation Shots

There are a couple of things I can suggest/recommend.
First, familiarize yourself (if you haven't already) with the different types of black and white. Most of the black and white styles, ironically, are not black and white, but tinted. Of the classic tones, you have Palladium, Platinum, Silver, Selenium, Sepia, Teal, and a few others. Each one has its own unique character and tint signature. Palladium has a yellow/orange cast, great for nature shots and some people images. Platinum, which is a yellowish gray, is usually very nice for scenic people shots (like wedding poses, for example). Silver is especially nice for low light or shadowed portraiture. It has a mild blue tint (barely detectable) mixed with the gray that gives the image a bright, but cold, appearance. Selenium, often with a reddish brown tint, is very moody and works nice for shots that are meant to be passionate, dark, creepy, or anything else that is meant to convey baser emotions. Sepia is also tinted with a reddish tone (reddish yellow in this instance), and is usually used in older portraiture (it can be great for giving your image an aged appearance). Teal is wonderful for city shots. People, in my personal opinion, don't look all that fantastic with the teal cast ... unless the photograph is showing the person in a suitable background that takes the teal tinting with only a mild showing of the blues in the tone.
The second thing I can suggest is that you expose your shots with black and white in mind if you are going to shoot with the deliberate intent to convert it. Underexpose silver shots so they have greater depth in contrast. Slightly overexpose a shot headed for a palladium tone so you have a soft effect and not an overwhelming orange cast.
Again, each tone has its own personality, so you have to compose and expose each shot with the intended black and white tint in mind.
The third thing I can suggest is that you experiment with the different tones. Sometimes a tone that usually looks horrible on a particular type of photograph might look outstanding in a specific case. So on any photograph you want to convert, try more than one tint style and see what looks nice.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 AM

Blindy,
Along with AFrazier's excellent advice I would say along with AF's suggestion to see the shot as black and white, get yourself a piece of red translucent plastic. You can find rolls of very thin plastic or cellophane at Hobby Lobby. Take a 6 inch square piece in your camera bag and look through it before you shoot.
It will take all of the color out of your shot and allow you to see the gradients of black and white.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-13-2008, 08:06 AM

Two more worthwhile things would be to study the components of the "Zone System" as developed by Ansell Adams and how it applies to Digital work.

Another author, and one who has excellent DVD's on B & W, is Katrin Eisenmann who teaches B & W in a unique and complete way. She currently has videos on the NAPP sight (Photoshopusertv.com) that can be partially watched free (as an inducement to join) and are very good.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-15-2008, 10:33 PM

I admire your photo skills. You have a great sense of subject matter, composition and bringing out subtle detail, esp. in the barn and stagecoach shots. Unfortunately color contrast is lost in a BW conversion so an eyecatching color pic often morphs into a less interesting low sat or pure BW interpretation.

To me the wow factor in BW comes from contrast... from the interaction of form, texture and/or grayscale tones.

I offer these quickly done examples (not so good masking) as food for thought by illustrating the possibilities by pushing things a bit contrast-wise.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 07:53 AM

Oh yes, Danny, you nailed the barn! Ansell would be proud!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet Petty View Post
Oh yes, Danny, you nailed the barn! Ansell would be proud!
I think the barn is dead on, and I think that the sky would be improved if there were not so much jet black. Am I wrong here?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-16-2008, 12:23 PM

Thanks for all of your suggestions everyone! I'll be back at home this evening from business, and I'll work through the Barn image and see what I can come up with.

Shooting with a filter to help me "see" the pure contrast is a great idea!

Thanks again all, it's much appreciated!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 09:50 AM

I think Danny was going for blotting out the power wires and giving the image a dreary look that sort of matches the mood of the broken down barn. The structure doesn't exactly say "lively" to me.
As with any art, to each their own interpretation, right? I kind of like the darkened sky with the selenium toning. It's very moody. It would look nice in a black art-deco type frame with a burgundy matte thinly bordered in white.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-17-2008, 09:34 PM

I did a quick bit of playing around with the barn image. I increased the overall black in the image by quite a substantial amount. I'm actually pretty happy with the end result, though I do feel I might have been a bit heavy handed, or perhaps I need to adjust the mid tones to keep from completely losing the detail in the areas which were initially already dark...the foreground corner of the barn for example.

I also tried to pick up on accentuate the color that was already in the wood of the barn...again, might have been a bit much on this as well. I do agree that the sky looks more agreeable dark, however I think I prefer a gradient look, but this is simply personal preference. I look forward to hear what you all think! Also, ignore the "down and dirty" cone out of the wires

Thanks for your time folks - it's much appreciated!

Barn Again

Also, I'm thinking a greenish tinge would work well HERE. Thoughts?

Last edited by Blindv; 06-17-2008 at 09:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography