RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

tips for shooting planes

Old 07-27-2008, 04:23 AM

Re: tips for shooting planes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza64 View Post
Hi Palms,

Your getting better, as i said before it take practice. Take photo's of anything that moves, cars, animals, small planes, people, birds(their the hardest). Hold back on the zoom a bit and just practice getting your subjects in the middle of the viewfinder. Just a suggestion when you get another filter, try a circular polariser filter(it's adjustable).

Post some more photo's and show us how your progressing.

Barry
Thank you for you help and encouragement i will keep practising and let you know ( i had fleetingly thought of birds when they fly overhead but then cowardice took over )

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 02:43 PM

For aircraft with rotors or propellers slower shutter speeds show their motion and provide a much more realistic look. The often requires shutter speeds under 1/200 and in bright sun even at ISO 200 there is the need for ND filters to reduce shutter speeds to this level.

A lot of great images are taken head on or slightly to one side. More taxing on the camera's AF but no need to pan. Helps to use the continuous setting and take a burst of 3-5 shots to insure at least one is well focused.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-28-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkhornsun View Post
For aircraft with rotors or propellers slower shutter speeds show their motion and provide a much more realistic look. The often requires shutter speeds under 1/200 and in bright sun even at ISO 200 there is the need for ND filters to reduce shutter speeds to this level.

A lot of great images are taken head on or slightly to one side. More taxing on the camera's AF but no need to pan. Helps to use the continuous setting and take a burst of 3-5 shots to insure at least one is well focused.
The "sunny 16 rule" states that in full sunlight, one can get real close to the proper exposure with a shutter speed of 1/100 at f16 using ISO 100. This will get you into the right shutter speed to show props turning etc. If you where to use a polarizing filter, the exposure would be less yet allowing you to use a still lower shutter speed.

For most of the images I have seen on the thread, focus is not a problem as the subjects are all out at infinity, so just turn the AF off, set the lens at infinity and blaze away, especially if you are shooting at f16 or better.

Depending on the speed of the subject as it passes by I would most certainly pan along with it, helps one to position the subject correctly in the frame.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography