RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

James Quantz Jr portfoliio

Old 08-13-2008, 09:55 AM

James Quantz Jr portfoliio

while reading through some posts i will quite often look at members web sites, today i looked through retouchpro's member "Quinter's!

Wow Wow and double Wow superb work I love it all but if you dont look at any other just look at portfolio 2 ( under work heading)the animals there are beyond words ( and yes there are cats there )

http://www.quantzphoto.com/#a=0&at=0...=10000&s=0&p=1

great work James will look in again and hope others do

Palms

Last edited by palms; 08-13-2008 at 09:56 AM. Reason: forgot link
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2008, 11:24 AM

Re: James Quantz Jr portfoliio

Palms, I think what makes his animals so striking is 1) good sharpening technique 2) dark backgrounds instead of the expeceted whites.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2008, 01:45 PM

Wow, thanks for the very kind words. I don't get a chance to post too often here so recognition from two legends is quite humbling! Swampy, I do use some selective sharpening as well as saturation for the desired effect on those images. I gravitate toward the dramatic(only in imagery!) and when developing the series of animal portraits I felt black would give them a nice effect by accentuating the "painted" light.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2008, 01:47 PM

Quinter... I don't know about being a "legend", but thank you. :-)

It is nice to go to a gallery where the images aren't all washed out and grungy looking! LOL Yours are super images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2008, 03:05 PM

me a legend not

Such a great portfolio needs recognition (and not just the animals ) and some might find it strange (that it is not a cat) but my favorite has to be the Orca did you take the photo as well ?

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2008, 03:17 PM

second the above, stunning work :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-13-2008, 03:26 PM

Yes, I photograph all the elements used in my imagery(no stock!). That doesn't mean I can't use "models"...

The "Orca!" image is actually one of my first in this style of imagery. I figured if I was going to construct a composite I may as well make it as outlandish as possible just to see if I could pull it off. A more detailed story(better written than I could do myself!) about that image and a few others is coming out in the next issue of AfterCapture magazine.

Thanks amica!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-14-2008, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qinter View Post
Yes, I photograph all the elements used in my imagery(no stock!). That doesn't mean I can't use "models"...

The "Orca!" image is actually one of my first in this style of imagery. I figured if I was going to construct a composite I may as well make it as outlandish as possible just to see if I could pull it off. A more detailed story(better written than I could do myself!) about that image and a few others is coming out in the next issue of AfterCapture magazine.

Thanks amica!
Thank you for the info, I am off to have a major sulk now as i would LOVE to see a orca/whale let alone photograph one ( mind you i have seen dolphins )

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-15-2008, 03:44 PM

Palms, thanks for bringing up Mr. Quantz's work - I've looked through it before, and it is so good that it's a pleasure to look at again. I especially remember the elephants in the carwash -- love that concept!

James, I agree with all the above accolades, and also think that your work on the rhino is especially good; the lighting (whether pre or post production) brings out the skin texture and the shape of the ears and even emphasizes the eye in a way that brings out a level of attractiveness that I don't normally ascribe to a rhino.

Love the lady and the tiger leaving the upscale restaurant, the lions appreciating the portrait of a gazelle, the photographer facing the inhabitants of Area 51, your WWII images... etc.

Now I'm going to read your blog.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-18-2008, 02:12 PM

CJ- Thank you for your feedback. I always enjoy hearing other people's take on some of my work. I hope to see you on my blog sometime.

Palms- Note I mentioned "models" - Mr. Orca is sitting right here on my desk(along with a few planes and helicopters)!

Best,
JQ
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography