RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Lens filters ?

Old 08-31-2008, 03:25 PM

Lens filters ?

Having only recently gone into the area where filters can be used I have found that there is very little written about them even in the manual i couldnt even find which size till i read that the size is written on the lens barrel ?

so i was wondering what are your opinions?
which filters do you have and which do you use (if any)
and any tips > tricks > stories ?

I have bought a uv filter, a diffuse filter ( not sure on this one so good job it was relatively cheap) and have just ordered a circular polarising filter

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2008, 07:16 PM

Re: Lens filters ?

Of the three, the circular polarizer will be of best use to you. Remember, however, that for it to work best, the sun should be at or around 90 degrees to your position. The polarizer will also cut your light about one stop. Plan for that when you are using it.

The UV (ultraviolet) filter (in my opinion) just adds an unnecessary piece of glass to the front of your lens. A lot of people use them as added protection on the lens. Your image quality will be somewhat degraded with that extra piece of glass.

Enjoy the diffuse filter. It is strictly a specialty filter. You will want to use it for experimenting and playing for those one-of-a-kind effects.

I expect that someone else will come along with a differing opinion on these three filters. In fact, you can't have too much information; and differing opinions will often serve to make up your mind yourself. Just remember to have fun, experiment, and take LOTS of pictures.

Janet

Last edited by Janet Petty; 09-01-2008 at 09:11 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-31-2008, 07:21 PM

As a pro photographer for over thirty years, I can tell you that the use of filters over the lens has changed greatly since digital.
I used to carry dozens of filters, now with digital most of them are either not needed (color correction) or can be replaced with similar results in Photoshop (diffusion, etc.).
I still always leave a UV filter on my lenses at all times - mainly to protect the lenses and make cleaning easier, but they may still help color some. I also carry and use polarizers for my lenses when they help. Graduated filters can still sometimes have a use to hold detail in a bright sky, but with digital I would stick with a neutral Grad filter since color can be changed in Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 06:26 AM

Thank you Janet and Richard

I had heard about using the uv filter for lens protection which sounded like a good idea to me which is why i got one (and i am a bit clumsy at times)

and thank you for the heads up on using the polariser

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 AM

On the Polarizer, it will only do its work if it is 90 degrees to the light source and you should rotate it to get even coloration. I don't think that you can get the effect of a Polarizer in PS because it is made to reduce reflections!

I like soft grad ND filters in varying degrees of darkness, but HDR and the new Lightroom 2.0 are, perhaps in some ways, doing away for the need for these.

I use LEE filters out of the UK, but they are terribly expensive and slow on delivery. Cokin is a less expensive, more available alternative.

I never use UV filters because I don't think they do much of anything except protect the lens and that is what a lens cap is for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 07:43 AM

Thank you for the info Don I dont know why apart from price but the filters i have got so far have been Kood

as no one has mentioned skylight filters i take it these are not worth thinking of getting ?

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
Thank you for the info Don I dont know why apart from price but the filters i have got so far have been Kood

as no one has mentioned skylight filters i take it these are not worth thinking of getting ?

Palms
I have never really begun to understand the difference between Skylight and UV. Really, I think they are just a prtector for the lens (and something to degrade your image if the glass is low quality). Qualty in optics is costly!

Keep your lens cover On when not in use and keep a rigid hood on the lens when in use. The hood not only reduces stray light causing a flare, but prevents damage to the glass should the lens hit something,

I often see phtogs indoors, not using lens hoods because they feel no need, but I like the added protection they provide!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-01-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreesOfMyTime View Post
I have never really begun to understand the difference between Skylight and UV. Really, I think they are just a prtector for the lens (and something to degrade your image if the glass is low quality). Qualty in optics is costly!

Keep your lens cover On when not in use and keep a rigid hood on the lens when in use. The hood not only reduces stray light causing a flare, but prevents damage to the glass should the lens hit something,

I often see phtogs indoors, not using lens hoods because they feel no need, but I like the added protection they provide!
Again thank you for the info Don that was going to be my next question about lens hoods

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2008, 10:05 PM

You may see varying prices on filters. Bear in mind that when you put a filter on your lens, you are putting another layer between the lens and the subject. As one friend put it to me: If you put a cheap low quality filter on a $1000 lens it is like shooting through Saran Wrap.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography