RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Photo Competition - September 2008

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:34 PM

Photo Competition - September 2008

Entries are now being accepted for this month's competition -- make a post in this thread and attach your entry. Be sure to make it as large as possible within the forum's restriction to images less than 100k - read the link below for help in sizing your image if you are new to the forum -

Click for Info on how to size and attach images to your posts

Since member gracelight (who won the August competition) has not been in touch to give us a new subject / theme, I've decided to make the assignment on my own -- the subject is "Tell us a story".

"The key to a great photograph is to develop a clear understanding of what it is about the scene that compels you to take the photograph in the first place. This is the underlying story of the photograph. It may not be an action; it could be a mood, a texture, or just the beauty of a landscape. There are many stories to tell, so photography is a rich art form..." -- Phillip Northeast (see link below - "Tell a Story"

I'd like each entrant to read the articles linked below as they discuss subject and theme, and then decide on their story and create one or more photos that tell that story.

Tell a Story

Theme, Emphasis, Simplify

Deadline for submitting your image(s):
Friday September 26th, 2008 at 10pm PDT.

Each member may submit only one entry for this competition, but it may be more than one photo. All entry photos must be included in the one entry post. You may change your entry (by submitting another entry in its place) up until the deadline.

The goal of these friendly competitions is to inspire members to grab our camera and actually use it. New photos are our goal, but we also accept recently photographed/recently processed images that fit the topic also. Honor system applies.

We'd love to hear any shooting info you have (shutter speed, ISO, f-stop) as well as any regular photographic post-processing -- cropping, levels, saturation, dodge/burn, etc.

Note: This is NOT the forum for photo art filters or art programs - let's keep the photos looking like photos.

Entries may be deleted if they do not meet criteria (nudity, photo art, etc.), but we do not encourage arguing about entries -- the voters will decide which images they prefer.

What does the winner get? The winner gets to choose the next assignment PLUS gets all the nice accolades that come from being chosen "Winner". (No, a Brinks truck does not arrive with a large check...)

Post your photo submissions in this thread, and we'll have a separate thread for discussion of this assignment and your comments regarding any of the entries that strike your fancy.

All RetouchPro members may take part in the competition and all members may vote, whether they have submitted an entry or not.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:15 PM

Re: Photo Competition - September 2008

The picture tells its own story.

Have fun all.

Janet
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SwimmingintheBuffaloRiver.jpg (123.3 KB, 61 views)
Old 09-21-2008, 11:38 AM

Where is everyone??
Anyway -- my entry is (of course) Ike --There are about 85 homes in my subdivision and all but 10 had flood waters--- my back yard is a mess but the water didn't come in the house--we are in Seabrook, TX about 4 blocks from Galveston Bay and every home between ours and the bay flooded-- We went for a walk around the neighborhood and I took several photos. The house in this photo used to be a waterfront home on stilts across the street from where it is now. There are nearly a dozen homes along that stretch of road that were relocated in the same manor.
Taken with Canon 20D
shutter 1/40
f 8
ISO 100
I did some post production---to lighten shadows and adjust levels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008ike414.jpg (218.2 KB, 47 views)
Old 09-21-2008, 05:37 PM

My "story".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg snow_scene.jpg (72.5 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Frank Lopes; 09-26-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:50 PM

This doesn't really tell the story without knowing the story, but I'm putting it up for now. My brother, a retired staff sargeant in the U.S. Army, died unexpectedly 3 weeks ago, and left behind not only his human relatives, but his many cats. Here, Angel looks out the window at the flag flying at half mast for his "daddy".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Looking4Sarge.jpg (95.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 09-23-2008, 02:09 PM

This is my first submission. Beginning photographer, camera set to auto.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 309512-R1-12-11A_1.jpg (96.0 KB, 33 views)

Last edited by seattleandrea; 09-23-2008 at 02:14 PM. Reason: turned photo right side up
Old 09-27-2008, 08:50 AM

Competition is now closed for this month. Please vote for your favorites in the voting thread.
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography