RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Discussion Thread - September Competition

Old 09-08-2008, 09:37 PM

Discussion Thread - September Competition

Open for discussion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 11:59 AM

Re: Discussion Thread - September Competition

Swarbees - "There are about 85 homes in my subdivision and all but 10 had flood waters--- my back yard is a mess but the water didn't come in the house--we are in Seabrook, TX about 4 blocks from Galveston Bay and every home between ours and the bay flooded... The house in this photo used to be a waterfront home on stilts across the street from where it is now. There are nearly a dozen homes along that stretch of road that were relocated in the same manor."

First - so glad that you are alive, unhurt, and perhaps undamaged. I've seen some photos of the destruction caused by Hurricane Ike, but none as personal as yours. I truly cannot imagine coming home to such destruction in my neighborhood, let alone to my own home -- there must be many people grieving and struggling at this time, and for some time to come. Thank you for sharing some of the details of this tragedy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2008, 04:06 PM

Re: Discussion Thread - September Competition

After being home for several days I noticed that the destruction is kind of like a burn. Doesn't look too bad at first, just a little red---right. Just a few trees down and limbs everywhere. Then the blistering starts--- after a few days of clean up you can't see any of the neighboring homes for the debris piles in the front lawn. Rubble, soaked belongings and uprooted landscaping line all the streets behind and to the side of our place. The ten or so homes that stayed dry must have looked like a little island. The water must have been lapping at my back door because the yard had a current that rearranged the landscaping. As you move a couple blocks closer to the water there are some who have to clean up the wreckage of the home that came to rest on their property along with their own waterlogged furniture, drywall, carpets, books, clothing---we are going to be debriding for a while.

The good news---"stuff" can be replaced for the most part and the loss of life from the storm is a remarkably small number given the damage I see.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography