Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Is this a good camera for professional photography

Old 09-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Re: Is this a good camera for professional photogr

Slight correction:

The 50mm lens will work on the D40, but it will not be auto-focus. You will have to manually focus the lens (same for the 105 and 85mm lenses too).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2008, 02:13 AM

Hi sskelsey,

There's a couple of points I like to help you with, I've been in the game for over 30 yrs.
With a dslr buy a camera with autofocus!! know what they say about kids and animals. Some kids are naturals...animals on the other hand!!! try and manual focus when Fido dosn't know what 'sit still..look at' means.
Give me adults any day.
Just joking , their all good to shoot, but I hope you get the point!!!

Low meg cameras can take great shots, around a4 size, 8-10 megs are better for larger photo's, more pixels to use.

It sounds like your going for an entry level outfit, thats fine...but save up as quickly as possible and invest in top quality glass, I use the term 'invest' because thats what your doing, investing in your future with better quality hardware...which in turn means better quality photo's...which in turn means a better reputation...which in turn means 'MORE MONEY', and that's what it's all about. ( I'm finished with the 'which in turns' )

For some reason when I talk about portrait shots with younger photographers they don't seem to know what '1:1 ratio' is, besides fully understanding what 'depth of field' means,
understanding that 1:1 ratio is the single most important factor when taking portraits (as well as fstop, lighting,etc,etc.,).
Briefly explained, i'ts when the the face of the model in the printed photo is in exact proportion to her face in real life, not ballooned out. Do a "google" on 1:1 ratio.
As an example get a friend with their 'point and shoot' to take your portrait at arms length, no zoom, then zoom out and physicaly move in or out to get your face in the same frame and then compare, you'll see what I mean.

The reason I went into all that was to clarify why i'm going to suggest, that when you can afford it, buy a 70-200mm quality lens, this will give you the versatility you need.
I use nothing less than 130mm to take portraits, and I move in or out to get the correct frame.(minimal or no cropping).

Good luck in your career, I hope this has helped you, if I can help you in some other way please let me know.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2008, 06:42 AM

I just wanna chip in a point of view. You can make decent A4 prints from those 6mp and if you work with ADs who respect your crop, you could probably get away with it.

But as soon as you start working with big companies and ADs who wanna be the artist you could end up with some problems.
One thing would be them cropping off 60% of the image to get what they want. I've seen ADs turn a landscape shot into a portrait close-up, and frankly if often ends up looking like shit :S
Another thing could be that they are pixel hungry and simply want want want as many pixels as possible. It could be because they are planning to make poster sized work and therefor naturally need a lot of pixel to interpolate it up a lot.
I haven't met a lot of retouchers that were able to brush up a 6mp to poster or billboard size and keep high quality. But I guess that's up to ones own definition of quality.

I would shoot 12mp for my portfolio, and not below 16mp for professional work. Optimal to keep myself safe in all cases I would shoot 30mp nowadays.
I would love to shoot 50mp. Buuuut... so damn expensive :P

Edit: I'm not saying it's a bad cam. Not at all... just raising the question of the threshold of "professional"

Last edited by flice; 09-27-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography