RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Is this a good camera for professional photography

Old 09-21-2008, 09:08 PM

Cool Is this a good camera for professional photography

View Camera Here

I'm in the process of getting my 1st dslr, and I finally found one that I can afford is it a good camera and should I get the added lense?
It comes with a 8-55mm DX Zoom-Nikkor lens but I could also get for an extra xtra lens: Nikon - Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm for $100.
I'm going to be doing mostly portraits.
Please offer your advice
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by sskelsey; 09-21-2008 at 09:21 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2008, 01:21 PM

Re: Is this a good camera for professional photogr

please help
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2008, 01:31 PM

I have seen some very famous photographers using a 6.1 mp camera for their work. And I have heard others swear them off. I use one made by Canon.

It all comes down to what size you are shooting for. If its something you are going to crop in on to enlarge, its not great. If you are shooting for a 8x10 its pretty decent.
Its not so much the camera as it is the lens that matters. Once I put on a nifty-fifty my details jumped a lot more than what I was getting.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2008, 01:37 PM

ok, thanks a lot. So I should try to get the 55-200mm lens?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2008, 01:50 PM

If you're doing portraits I would go for a nice 105 lens.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2008, 04:45 PM

whatever you choose is good... focus on getting a really good lens! something around 2.8 or less.... actually just look for old fixed ones! 50mm 1.4f WOW, 85mm....

105mm might be too much, because of the crop factor on ccd!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2008, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskelsey View Post
...I'm in the process of getting my 1st dslr, and I finally found one that I can afford is it a good camera and should I get the added lense?
It comes with a 8-55mm DX Zoom-Nikkor lens but I could also get for an extra xtra lens: Nikon - Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm for $100.
I'm going to be doing mostly portraits.
Please offer your advice
Thanks in advance.
You titled the thread "good camera for professional photography" - Do you mean that you are starting a photography business shooting portraits?

I bought the Nikon D40 last year with both the 18-55mm and the 55-200mm VR lenses. Most professional photographers would not consider the D40 as a "professional" camera since it is not built for heavy professional use. It does not have an internal focus drive motor and can only Auto Focus with AF-S and AF-I lenses - this probably is not a big problem for your planned usage, but is something you should know and understand before you make a purchase. The D40 does not have a connection for a synch cord for off-camera flash, but you can use a (more expensive) Pocket Wizard or other set-up for off-camera flash. (Lighting is a key component of portrait photography.)

I use the D40 for candid portraits of dogs at the county shelter for use on Petfinders.com for marketing purposes to draw interested people into the shelter to adopt the dog. I have been very happy with the camera, and would recommend it to anyone who wants a DSLR for home use. I'm not a professional photographer, but my opinion is that the D40 is a good entry-level DSLR.

If you are turning pro, the biggest question is which lens system are you going to need/prefer -- the camera body just holds the film and the lens, while the lens is the truly important part for a professional. You are not going to be able to afford really good glass now (or you wouldn't be looking at budget cameras), but you need to start learning about which system will offer you what you will need in the future. Nikon and Canon are the big two, but there are other companies that are competitive. Once you start spending money on lenses, it is hard to change to another system (some folks say they can get their money back when they sell their lenses, but it's still a possible loss).
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2008, 07:24 PM

The advice I continually read and support is to first put your money in good glass. The camera technology is constantly improving and getting cheaper while the the investment in glass and resale stays very constant. Last year I bought a 40D and now the 50D is out. I was considering buying a 5D earlier this Summer and decided to wait for the 5DII...glad I did. I'm sure the next generation of Canons with be coming out in another 12 to 18 months....buy the glass. Also as Chris says you can take very good pics with the lower end cameras.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2008, 06:09 PM

Are you planning to do studio work or available light?

Most portrait photographers (who shoot Nikon) prefer to use the 50 and 85mm lenses, or the 28-70. Of those 3, only the 28-70 would work on the D40. The other 2 you will be manually focusing (and if you're shooting kids, that will be an exercise in frustration).

The lenses you mention are considered entry level kit lenses. They don't have wide apertures or some of the coatings on the glass that help cut down on flare and ghosting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2008, 12:27 PM

I think you already got some good information here, but I'll try to make it a little more clear.

First of all, any of the current DSLRs cameras can deliver stunning image quality, with more expensive models you mostly pay for convenience. As a beginner you should try to save as much as possible on the body, and be prepared to spend most of your money on glass.

The Nikon d40 is an exception though: As a cost-cutting measure Nikon has left out the auto focus motor, so it WILL NOT WORK with most lenses in the Nikon lineup. For example the 50mm prime lens (the "nifty fifty" that was recommended above) will not work on this camera.

For this reason I recommend you to buy the new Canon Rebel XS, which is about the same level and price as the d40, but does not limit your choice of lenses. With the camera I recommend the lens " Canon EF 50mm f/1.8" which can be had for less than $100.
(This comes from a Nikon shooter btw)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography