RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Vote for your Favorite Photo - September

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 09:11 AM

Vote for your Favorite Photo - September

This voting thread is now open and will close this Monday Sept. 29th at 10pm (PDT)

You may view the entries in the Competition thread or all together here: -- http://www.pbase.com/shadepuppy/competition

Voting is open to all RetouchPro members. If you entered a photo in the contest, you may not vote for your own.

Post your choices (in this thread) for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd by listing the member's name. If you want to explain your reasons, please do.

Vote for the 3 entries you like the best - you might consider how well a photo captures your attention, how well it deals with the subject, how well it fits with the chosen theme, how well the technical details are handled -- lighting, composition, sharpness, etc., -- you are the judge of what appeals to you and what is important to you in an image and the subject category.

Votes will be weighted to give greater weight to First Place votes than to Second and greater weight to Second than to Third place votes. When you place a vote for First Place, that entry will receive four (4) points; when you place a vote for Second, that entry will receive two (2) points, and a vote for Third Place will receive one (1) point.

1. Entry X (their name) - First Place
2. Entry A (their name) - Second Place
3. Entry C (their name) - Third Place

The winner will be notified and will choose a subject for October.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:45 AM

Re: Vote for your Favorite Photo - September

1) snow_scene-Frank Lopes

2) 2008ike-swarbees

3) SeattleAndrea
Old 09-27-2008, 04:10 PM

1. CJ's cat:
I have to choose CJ's photo because-- with the caption-- it reaches out to the audience and elicits a response from the viewer. If the object is to tell a story then this one has my attention. I can imagine how this kitty feels--with all the changes in his environment. Cats hate change--every time my cat goes outside the look on her face says "there had better not be anything different out here!" If the lawn chairs are in a different order she hesitates to go out----it could be dangerous! Of course there are photos that can tell the story without out a caption, but sometimes you need a caption. One might look longer and with more interest if they know the story about the parade or festival than just presented with a cute photo of a kid with a balloon. Cute photos are ok but the caption can add interest and invite the viewer to pay more attention. This photo may have some problems (the bottle of fantastic in the corner--the reflection cutting across the cat) ----and it does need the caption to make an impression--- but with the information provided by the photographer, this one is captivating.

2. Janet's Buffalo river:
I think it is extremely difficult to get beginning, middle and end all in one photo. She has ---about to jump, during the jump and a completed jump---with flawless composition in my opinion --and technically good exposure---shadows not too dark and the highlights are not overly blown out. An excellent example of story telling with only one photo. The only reason this one isn't in first place is that, as a viewer, I didn't have any connection to the scene--I feel like I need more to stay interested . Reminds me of a professor I had who used to chide me "you have provided the perfect text book answer -- now surprise me with something more interesting" Still ---I couldn't find even one photo of those I took in the last month or so that included beginning-middle and end. I was going to need two or three images---or a note of explanation. Kudos to Janet for getting it all in one shot!

3. seattleandrea:
There maybe some technical issues here--with a hazy exposure and the image seems a little soft--horizon crooked---but as story telling goes this one is very exciting. The viewer can't see the top or the bottom of the rockface so the level of danger is left to the imagination. You could be standing on a hiking trail and your subject is only two feet off the ground or you could be several hundred feet high with only 20 feet to go--dangling from a carabiner next to your subject--either way the adventure is well composed and exhilarating for the viewer.

4. Frank's snow scene:
This is a very pretty scene -- It immediately brings to my mind the delight in skier's language ---"fresh powder," closely followed by "first tracks. ... it also has a little mystery (where do the tracks go from here). But its so serene that the story of the walk through the snow is sort of secondary. I didn't place it higher because its more a pretty scene than a story. Still a lovely image.
Old 09-27-2008, 04:35 PM

Swarbees for the photojournalistic view of the devastation caused by the hurricane.

SeattleAndrea for the rock climber. Shooting conditions for this one were difficult. But just the fact that it is on a cliff makes up for the technical problems.

FrankLopes for the tracks in the snow. I found peace and serenity in this cold, winter scene.

Take care all,
Janet
Old 09-27-2008, 05:28 PM

1st -- Janet Petty - for the reasons swarbees explained very well - the story is contained within the image: beginning, middle and end.

2nd -- swarbees - we don't see the beginning (I have NO desire to see a hurricane!), and hopefully this is only the middle - with a happy ending in the near future for all the folks related to this image. The power and destruction of Ike are well documented in the image.

3rd -- I'm intrigued by Frank Lopes image and will choose it because it tells a story, but I'm not smart enough to know exactly what the story is. The photo is engaging in both the beauty of the composition and the interest engendered by those footprints...
Old 09-27-2008, 08:11 PM

1. 2008swarbees ike photo
2. frank lopez snow scene
3. janet's buffalo river
Old 09-30-2008, 08:57 AM

The voting is completed and the winners are:

1st Place - swarbees Congratulations!!

2nd Place - Frank Lopes

3rd Place - Janet Petty
Closed Thread