RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

How to achieve the Peter Hurley look

Old 11-06-2008, 03:01 AM

Talking How to achieve the Peter Hurley look

I've been a bit perplexed, and I wanna know if anybody could give me some tips as to how to achieve the Peter Hurley style of photographing headshots. I'm extremely low on budget (and zero money to spend on additional gear, already have a Nikon D40 to start with) and going to do some headshots in the future and I just feel that's the style I am going for. Some examples here:

http://peterhurley.com/photography/a...eading-ladies/

Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-06-2008, 06:28 AM

Re: How to achieve the Peter Hurley look

I watched a video on his site where you see his lighting setup. Copy that or go with daylight and a white/silver bounce...it doesnt have to be so difficult or complicated.

- Wahl
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-07-2008, 09:53 PM

Ah, thanks... I do have a reflector though, no lights unfortunately. I reside in the often rainy fall seasons Vancouver, BC... so its hard to get good and bright daylight. Do I need higher ISO and aperture to compensate for this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2008, 04:19 AM

What camera do you use? More ISO gives you more noise, but perhaps you use high end cameras, this give you less noises.

f/2.8 should do the job for you, but still you need lighting to compensate

f/2.8, lighting, and ISO 100-200 is fairy for low lights, I don't think you will get any good pictures without flash
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2008, 08:13 AM

I don't agree....Daylight is wonderful to work with...what you see is what you get...so to speak. No "beeps" and other noises to distract the model...

Get right in front of a large window, as large as possible. Use a silk if the sun is out. Use a 85mm or 100mm, the model between 1 - 2 meters from you. Have a neutral background behind the model. If the models is female use the bounce underneath her chin to soften wrinkles etc.

L33t is right about camera and iso. I use 5d and can easily shoot on 400-800iso...it off course depends on what the end result is printed on, is it for web etc.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2008, 12:55 PM

I use a Nikon D40, entry level 6.0 MP DSLR. Minimum f stop is f3.0 on the lens. And I only have a 18-135mm zoom lens. Unfortunately that is all I can use with besides a reflector... no money to spend on additional gear. At least not yet... but I think it might work with 400 ISO, not that bad....
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-19-2008, 11:31 AM

Up until last week I had NO clue who Peter Hurley was! I am a wedding photographer and was realy only interested in that field. Last week an aspiring actor came to me to ask if I did head shots. I reluctantly said yes. She and I continued to talk and she mentioned Peter Hurley. Clueless on what headshots were,clueless on what to charge,clueless on the style that was needed for a good headshot, I visited Peters website. I relized that a good headshot is a good portrait.

I pride myself in being able to "See Light", how it reflects on objects and people. That is what you have to do..."See" The light.

Look at Peters website, and look for the diferences between the Women and the Men. The women are shot in a way that the light is full ( I don't know if that is the right phrase) to enhance their beauty. You can see how he lights the subject. Just look really close.

The Men are shot by using dramatic lighting. Not too dramatic but enough to see the diference. By looking at his Men, you can see he uses a bounce, from the right or the left of his subject.

Study his pictures, they are Great but the same. Aparently there aren't a lot of headshot photographers who shot like him, so he has a identifiable shot.

I know I just said this but study his pictures and practice, practice, practice. Even with a d40 you shoud be able to get some decent results.
1. Max iso 400
2. Tripod
3. bonce the light
4. Slow your shutter down( If your meter is telling you 125 of a secound drop down two stops)
5. Pose, give direction.
6. Look at various fashion magazines, look at how others pose and light
7. Develop your own Identifiable style. Apply what you've learned from others and make it your own.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-31-2008, 01:50 AM

look at the shape of the pupils & catchlights in their eyes and you'll get some sort of idea of the lighting.

The pupil appears as a square black box and the catchlights appear as 3-4 white rectangles surrounding the box. The catchlights are really beautiful and give the eyes life - I usually face my clients towards a large window for beautiful catchlights.

I use natural light so I'm not familiar with lighting setups so I can't pick it myself but if someone else can identify it it may help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-08-2009, 09:02 AM

Looks like something like 3-4 stripboxes or reflectorscreens, 2 to the side, one below one & on the top. This will create a very even and soft light with almost no harsh shadows. You can clearly see the square reflections. (almost like a "big mans ringflash" =)

Shoot close with a low-aperture for the DOF which might be even further enhanced post. Quite easy to get this DOF with say a 80mm F4 on a Mamiya or RZ (or hasselblad). example of this http://www.imaginara.se/EXP13.jpg (totally different light setup though . Shot with a Mamiya 645 AFD with Fuji Realla film at F4. You can get similar DOF of course with a full frame on a DSLR but i just prefere the medium format for that.

But watching the video you can see he's using 4 tungsten striplights or lightbanks similar to http://www.profoto.com/products/prof...ls/striplights and shoots with a Hasselblad.

The key technique here is large light source close to the subject to create soft shadows and even light, and the strip will provide a nice elongated highlight.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-14-2009, 06:03 PM

Hi,(first post)

He's using kinoflos.

2 4' Banks on the left and right and 2 2' Banks Top and Bottom... basically a square ring flash.

The flash trigger must be firing a background light.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography