RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Child Portrait Photography: Inspiration & Advice

Old 01-20-2009, 01:59 PM

Re: Child Portrait Photography: Insperation & Advi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuBBa View Post
Sorry for the long post but i tend to rant a lot
Dont worry about it, as long as its helpfull, people or I wont mind reading it.

The DOF master is also a very usefull tool. I have used it b4 and it seems to be correct. I once DL a DOF calculator that you can print the calculator so you can have it in the field. If anyone is interested i can try and find it again.

And i will deff get WRITTEN concent, type it up later tonight. And yea, the heavy editing will just be for fun, unless the client wants them... UPcharge.

Thanks again,
-Keven

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-21-2009 at 03:32 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 02:32 AM

Well it’s over. But I just wanted to give my own advice to anyone.

I found that communication with someone unable to talk is hard. Much of the comments here came true. The mother being there was not helping as the child clung to her for the first 20 min or so. Then I got smart and used the mom’s position to get the child to move around. But in all reality, I think it would have been better with the mom off to the side as suggested earlier.

Toys were a big plus but I made the mistake of having them all out at the same time. Introducing them one at a time would have been better. The cell phone was a big hit, struggled to get it away from him. So if the child has a favorite toy, introduce it last if possible.

A large studio with an all white background would have really helped here as the child would always move around. So a small background like I had was not good. I’m basically going to have to extract the child from every picture as almost every picture didn’t have him in the right place.

Over shooting is a must as most the shoots will be bad due to bad position or blinking or blurry. I would not recommend using a tripod unless the child can sit or stand still. But at 1 year old, it was hard. I was definitely on the floor and sometimes laying down. So a pillow is a nice thing to sit on. If you’re behind the camera directing the child is near impossible and I would recommend an educated assistant if possible if you have to be behind the camera. I say this because by the time you get in position, frame, and focus, the child is most likely moved. Being fast is the key here.

As for the lighting, I would recommend a simple set up for young ones that move a lot. You need the lighting to be perfect every time, so the simpler the better. I used a two strobe set up, both at 45 degree. This turned out well, as I never had to change my settings.

Unfortunately the family did not want to give consent so I cannot post them here. Sorry, I really wish I could see what some of you all could come up with.

Thanks all,
-Keven

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-27-2009 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Got permission :)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 06:14 AM

Glad it went OK for you . Just to put you in the picture so to speak . My " Studio " is a spare bedroom with white walls and ceiling . I've fixed a frame with a Black background to one end wall . I've got various backgrounds which I can drape over it .
Lighting is a softbox and brolly with overhead fresnal for the Ladies .For men I use barn doors or a snoot .
I use two cameras ( 20d & 5d ) with different lenses . ( I never swap lenses )
I don't use a tripod and have an Infrared trigger which allows me to be mobile . I'm either on my kees or stepladder to vary the view points .
For head shots needing a white background I've found that a projection sceen fits the bill . Hope this is of interest to you ! Bill
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2009, 01:23 PM

I’m kind of doing the same thing but The bad part is that the white walls are dirty and floor was a white carpet. So I put a white sheet on the floor but since the child kept moving, the background almost always had carpet or the moved furniture.

I don’t do work in there enough for a full convert to a studio. So until I do, I will settle with cropping children out. It works well for adults, as they can stand still. But a child is a diff beast.

Tanks for all your advice,
-Keven

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-25-2009 at 03:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2009, 12:15 AM

Hello again,

I got some good news today, I further explained what RTP was to the client and they allowed my to post a few. So here some are. I will also be posting the NEF's of the below pictures so you all can have a go at it. These are 5 of 300+ total pictures.

The below were only edited in lightroom. Softening is due to clarity reduction.

Have fun,
-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KSA_6800.jpg (94.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_6856.jpg (95.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_6970.jpg (96.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_7116.jpg (97.1 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_7051.jpg (96.5 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-28-2009 at 02:34 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2009, 01:05 AM

Re: Child Portrait Photography: Inspiration & Advi

I have made a new sister thread for the editing. The NEF's are there.

Child Portrait Photography: Editing advice

Feel free to keep posting here about advice and insperation.

Happy editing,
-Keven

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-28-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2009, 02:39 AM
Patron

Well shucks, I already started working this up using the first pictures (before the NEFs)

Your Cowboy came out pretty good!
When I played with it I selected around the football feathered a bit and did some lens correction.. just an idea

Oh well, Here is the other one I played with just keeping it simple and standard
Tried to stick with the 6X9 format
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KSA_6856.jpg (95.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_6856_B.jpg (161.8 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg KSA_6856_C.jpg (187.5 KB, 17 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2009, 03:57 AM

Looks like you got some good shots . My only crib is no eye contact ! That is what I meant by trying to keep parents out of the way ! Bill
PS. I like your work with the football ! Too advanced for my capabilities !
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2009, 06:31 AM

adorable baby and so glad it went well for you I mostly shoot little ones and find them to on the whole be more play than work . I did just shoot the girl from heck tho who really tried my patience. I usually can get kids to do exactly what I want but this one was 2 hours of no fun got a few good shots so all is well My next shoot with her is on the beach so she can run amok there. To get eye contact I have bizarre hats with toys animals bugs ect. attatched that I wear to keep there attention on me and camera. I look insane but it works Pat
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-28-2009, 12:43 PM

Should I start a new thread in the right place for the editing?

Olbaldy,

Great! That head addition! I’m definitely going to give that a try. I really like what you did here. Great creativity… Try again with the NEF's, I hate working with thumbnails. Plus you will be able to do the raw conversion to your liking, not mine or the clients.

Gobsmacked,

I know how you feel... I wish I got the eye contact, but at least he's happy at the ball... It’s just that everything else was present...Good pose, frame, smile. It was hard to get them all in one shot. I have more with eye contact, but the look is more confused with no smile. Still cute but not everything you want. Thinking about doing what Olbaldy did....

P.S. capabilities aside, just give it a try, I’d like to see what you could come up with; if you have the time. If backgrounds aren’t your thing... pick one of the ones with good backgrounds.

lolli,

I agree, wearing the toys is probably a better idea then putting them all on the floor lol. Plus the hat can double as a flag to block the flash from making ghosts. I could not get the kid to stop playing and taking a toy away would just make him cry lol... so I got what I could and said I’ll just edit the mess out later. A lot more work... but luckily they only want about 10 or so...

Thanks for the replies,
-Keven

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-29-2009 at 12:53 AM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography