RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Obama's official portrait

Old 01-18-2009, 05:52 PM

Re: Obama's official portrait

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepplinn View Post
Everybody see that the background is blurred in photoshop.
I agree that the background was blurred in PS (CS3 to be exact). The aperture was F/10 and 105mm (EXF data). So everything should have been in focus.

Also, the lint should have been removed. But when you reduce the image to size, most all the blemishes and lint go away except for two pieces of lint.

As for the AP, if they do not want altered pictures then is even brightening ok. And why would this picture with blur added be ok. Is D&B ok? Are you even allowed to crop, as you are not showing the full picture?

I believe that you should be able to remove imperfections and edit as you see fit. As long as the image is noticeably the person, it should be ok.

-Keven

Last edited by igot2pman; 01-21-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: See below post for update
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-18-2009, 06:49 PM

I don't think the flags are gaussian blurred.

His right lapel is fading out of focus like normal focus blur. The flags are far behind him and are large and probably on risers to raise them up in the image.

As for the AP...
"For us, there's a zero-tolerance policy of adding or subtracting actual content from an image," said Santiago Lyon, AP's director of photography."

Then, as for Senior Santiago, he needs to double check every handout official portrait from the White House that is in his files and purge them asAP. He'll talk out of both sides of his mouth when the need arises.

REMEMBER...
It's an official handout... and supposed to be a portrait.

Perhaps Pete Souza thinks it's a news photo and not a portrait. Therefore no PS was needed or called for. Maybe it's the cheap Canon glass that he uses and the Dell laptop screen that kept him from noticing the flaws in the image.

I did notice that it was shot the same day the PE made a video that can be seen on youtube via his website

http://www.youtube.com/barackobama

I'll bet dollars to donuts that he (Pete) never released an official portrait photo of Nancy Regan to the AP that wasn't retouched even a bit.

edit: AAAAARRRRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!
Just found the Biden portrait....download the large file and look at the hairs on his coat....geeze...it's supposed to be a portrait...I don't care who it is, clean the coat off of stray hairs (they don't resemble Joe's hairs....long, blonde and no crinkles...perhaps he had just hugged Mrs. McCain.)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...portrait_2.jpg

Last edited by kglack43; 01-18-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: adding comment
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-20-2009, 03:47 PM

There seems to be NO point in post-blurring the background if he didn't bother to do the most basic and minor clean ups, so I do think the flags are out of camera focus. The subject seems both off center and low in the frame to me, making him look small.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twopoint0 View Post
There seems to be NO point in post-blurring the background if he didn't bother to do the most basic and minor clean ups, so I do think the flags are out of camera focus.
This made me think. At first I though F/10 was small enough to get full sharpness. But then I decided to do the math calculations with a DOF calculator. I found that at 105mm, F/10, at 10 ft., only 1.03 ft. would be in sharp focus.

So I then decided to test to see how far i had to move back to get the subject in proper framing. I found that it was about 10 ft. Oh my! After taking a few test shots at the same settings, I found that the DOF was correct in the about one foot.

So assuming the one shoulder closer then the other position, the tip of the nose to the almost the back of his ear should be in focus. Which is about right. So the picture is not blurred in PS or at least it didn’t have to be.

I reteact my pervious statement,
-Keven
Attached Images
File Type: jpg officialportrait--summary.jpg (95.4 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2009, 12:39 AM

Well, some may argue that deciding on what to photograph during a military endeavor or whatever could be considered editing. Someone must choose what image will be taken and how it will be presented. Thus comes the long lasting argument with photography... does it portray real life or not? I think for the most part it does.

In regards to the image of Obama, I think it's a great photo. Strait to the point portrait. Classic. I would imagine if he had an out of the ordinary large zit in the middle of his forehead they might get rid of that. Who would care about that? No one painted the rings under Washington's eyes.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography