Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Need help on lighting strobe or continuos?

Old 02-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Re: Need help on lighting strobe or continuos?

The quality of light (softness etc) depends a lot more on the fixture and modifiers than it does on whether it's flash or continuous. You can't say that continuous lights are softer than flash because that's not enough information.

For more affordable studio strobes, I'd recommend Alienbees or Elinchrom D-Lites...or something similar. I've got Alienbees and I like them, but there are some advantages to the Elinchrom lights.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 PM

I prefer strobe lighting, hot lights can be uncomfortable for my clients, cost of running continuous is also a factor
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-16-2009, 07:32 PM

I also have questions about lights and I' hope lolli doesn't mind if I keep lighting discussion on this thread without creating another. I primarily shoot sports but I'm continuously am asked to shoot weddings. Typically I like to use natural light, but when I observe photographers who shoot weddings all the time they usually have at least one or two stobes raised high in the air which are romotely activated. So if you shoot weddings, what lighting equipment are you using..pls be specific, including the tripod used , the tripod head and activation device. Lolli, I will move this thread if you wish.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-20-2009, 12:45 PM

When I shoot weddings, the lighting I use depends on the situation. For the ceremony and all the getting ready type stuff...I'm usually using on-camera bounced flash. I have several flash accessories that I might use in different scenarios.

For the formal shots, where we have a little more time to set up. I like to use a flash on a light stand. Usually triggered with Pocket Wizards.

For the reception, I like to get creative and use a combination of remote flash and on-camera flash. Sometimes it's just a hot-shoe flash on a stand...but other times I use a studio strobe.

To me, the key is to have plenty of options and knowing how and when to use them. You can't just say 'use this and do that' because just about every situation is different.

If you have more specific questions, feel free to E-mail me (I'm not on this form very often).
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography