RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

How to see pics as they are taken on computer

Old 01-30-2009, 01:48 PM

How to see pics as they are taken on computer

Ok I am sure this is dumb question but I can't find the answer so here goes on tv shows such as America's next top model they can view pictures on the computer as they are taken. not after .I have a Nikon d80 can I do this and what would I need ? The pics appear as they are taken on the computer I have tried thru usb but it won't work . crazy huh.... Pat
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2009, 01:55 PM

Re: How to see pics as they are taken on computer

That is not a dumb question at all ...

Nikon makes a product called Camera Control Pro that allows you to do that.

It is basically a computer interface for all of the menu functions that you find in the camera.
You connect the camera to the PC/laptop via the usb port and Camera Control Pro takes over from there. As you shoot, the images are shown on the pc monitor/laptop instead of the camera display in the back.

Camera Control Pro 2 (I think it is the latest one...) supports your D80.

http://www.nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Ni...rol-Pro-2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolli View Post
Ok I am sure this is dumb question but I can't find the answer so here goes on tv shows such as America's next top model they can view pictures on the computer as they are taken. not after .I have a Nikon d80 can I do this and what would I need ? The pics appear as they are taken on the computer I have tried thru usb but it won't work . crazy huh.... Pat
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2009, 02:04 PM

Thank you so much I have tried to figure out what it was called or if there was such a thing forever. I tried nikon support and never got an answer probably because I didn't know what it was called again thank you with the type of photos I take this will make my job much easier am buying one and I am so excited Pat
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2009, 02:18 PM

Once you have tried it, drop us a note if you have further questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolli View Post
Thank you so much I have tried to figure out what it was called or if there was such a thing forever. I tried nikon support and never got an answer probably because I didn't know what it was called again thank you with the type of photos I take this will make my job much easier am buying one and I am so excited Pat
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2009, 05:14 PM

You might also have a look at the DSLR Remote by Breezesys that now also comes in a Nikon variant. I've used the Canon version for some time and it's very easy to use and powerful. (and cheaper than Nikon Capture i think) http://www.breezesys.com/NKRemote/index.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-30-2009, 07:01 PM

It is indeed much cheaper and it seems to be a very polished product.
Unfortunately the list of cameras that it supports is somewhat limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuBBa View Post
You might also have a look at the DSLR Remote by Breezesys that now also comes in a Nikon variant. I've used the Canon version for some time and it's very easy to use and powerful. (and cheaper than Nikon Capture i think) http://www.breezesys.com/NKRemote/index.htm
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-31-2009, 05:14 AM

Yes my bad. I missed the fact that her camera the D80 was not supported. That leaves a few other options though besides Nikon Capture. Bibble Studio (http://www.bibblelabs.com) and Capture One (http://www.phaseone.com/).

Now, neither of these are "better" than Nikon Capture so in the end, why get them. What i've seen and heard of Nikon Capture from other photographers it's a solid and very professional workflow product for Nikon cameras. And since it's between very close to Bibble in price ($40 off actually) and much cheaper than Capture one, there are no reason not to get it if you wish to shoot tethered with a Nikon.

Have fun shooting tethered btw. It's hard to go back once you get used to viewing the images directly on a large laptop/computer screen

Oh, another little tip. If your camera uses USB or Firewire cables for tethered control the maximum length is about 5 meters. You can however extend that up to about 20 meters with active repeaters which works very well provided you get good quality cables.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography