Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Is 12 megapixels enough?

Old 03-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Re: Is 12 megapixels enough?

I'd rather have higher quality capabilities then extra pixels. I've heard of new technologies in developement that would allow multi-focus shots (this actually uses more pixels then standard cameras; lol) which would prevent taking out of focus shots forever. Also, though the rovers on Mars use very few pixels as compared to the camera that we use today, each pixel, in essence, has it's own lens and via processing techniques, the images are equivalent to our vision which I thought was cool. Maybe a better way of utilizing each pixel (not really talking about Fovean, but that is cool technology in its own right) to the best of its capabilites would be the way to go. Don't think I would splurge on the type of camera that the rovers use though, so Mega amounts of pixels is going to be the norm for a long time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2009, 07:52 PM

you guys lost me fron the start with all the technical lingo. I have 10mp camera and I still havent figured how to use it right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-18-2009, 01:14 PM

Remember too that megapixels are a measure of area. 25mp is not that much more than 12mp. A 25 mp camera has roughly double the resolution of a 6mp camera not 4x as much. Something to think about.

12mp is more than enough for almost anything you'd ever do. It's honestly more than what you'd need for most work. Your time is much better spent working on photography than worrying if you have enough pixels. = )

Now, I'm mostly referring to commercial work here. At the studio, we use 16mp medium format backs and we recently got a couple 5d MKII's. I think if you were making HUGE fine art prints you'd probably want a higher resolution, or you'd want to shoot film.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography