RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Canon .CR2 Problem

Old 05-12-2009, 08:03 PM

Canon .CR2 Problem

OK camera guys, I've got a situation I can't figure out. I have two cameras, a Canon Xti and a 40d. On a recent photo trip I had both cameras set to record in RAW (.CR2). When I copied the pictures to my laptop (PC laptop running XP Pro service pack 3) they are locked. That is, I cannot Move or Delete any of the pictures. Every time I try to Move or Delete a picture I get an error message that says it cannot Move or Delete the file because it is being used by another person or program. I’m the only person on the computer and no other programs are running. I’ve tried shutting down and restarting the computer, but no luck. I download a program called Unlocker that is supposed to fix this problem but it didn’t. The pictures will open OK in Photoshop and IrfanView and I can save them in any format and they do not lock. If I take the pictures in .jpg and copy them to my laptop there is no problem. Everything works normally (both cameras).

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 08:49 PM
Patron

Re: Canon .CR2 Problem

Have you checked the Security Tab in the Properties dialog box to see if any of the Deny options have been checked?
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-12-2009, 09:15 PM

Open Task manager and see of Canon's EOS Utility is running in either the applications tab or the Processes tab. If you see it, select it and end the process or end program. Then try again. Do this after trying Murray's suggestion.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 05:46 AM

Thanks for the responses

Murray - When I right click on a picture and go to Properties, the only two tabs are General and Summary. I bet there is another properties dialog I should be looking at?

ke5sua - I did check Task Manager and there is no Canon utility running in Applications or Processes. Good thought though.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Patron

In any directory check tools>folder options>view>use simple file sharing option. Make sure this is NOT checked in order to have full security options on folders.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 09:24 AM

Thanks Murray

I got the Security Tab to show in Properties. Unfortunately, none of the Deny boxes are checked.

Again, this problem only occurs when I am copying .CR2 to the laptop. I'm on the road at present and will see if I can duplicate the problem on my desktop when I get home. Have not had this problem before so I don't what to expect.

Thanks again
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 12:59 PM

I had this happen when I switched to Vista. The only "fix" I found was to copy them and save them with a different file name somewhere else.

Also, you don't say if you are using a card reader to put them on your laptop, or a storage device (i.e. Wolverine, Epson) as an intermediary. I do know that both the Wolverine and Epson allow for locking the picture for protection.

Also, on page 123 of your owner's manual (Canon 40D), it tells how to protect images still in your camera. Is it possible that you have that checked in your menu settings?

Good luck in finding the solution.

Janet
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 01:24 PM

Thanks Janet

I'll check the camera settings. But since the problem does not occur when the pictures are taken in the JPG mode, I'm not sure just what's going on.

As far as putting the pics on the laptop, I normally put the CF Card in a PCMCIA adapter then copy the to the laptop. I also tried hooking the camera directly to the laptop, but the same problem occured. As a last resort, I may go buy a card media reader just to see if that fixes the problem.

Stumped
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 01:38 PM

Hi Janet

The images are not protected on the 40D or the XTi. Problem occurs with both cameras.

Thanks again.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-13-2009, 03:33 PM

BINGO!!!

Although it did not show up in Task Manager, Microft RAW Image Viewer and Thumbnailer was the problem. After uninstalling using Add and Remove Programs and rebooting the computer the problem is gone.

Thanks for everyones help.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography