Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Looking for some advice with canon files

Old 07-25-2009, 09:23 AM
Re: Looking for some advice with canon files

Man, that's my same feel!!!
I've a 30D.
I think is something in the raw converter, try out PhaseOne Capture One 4 and tell me what you think.
I want use Camera Raw so I've only tested Capture One for a little time but the feel changes.

If you can mail me one or two raw (compressed ), I'll give you my email via pm (or just upload on your own host and mail me the link).
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-25-2009, 09:46 AM

Man we are not alone, from (

For example:

* Lightroom interprets reds as oranges, whereas Canon DPP keeps reds red
* Lightroom tends to render skin tones with a greenish cast, whereas Canon DPP doesn't suffer from this problem

Those are just two examples; there are many other differences. I myself have noticed this in Canon RAW files coming from 2 different Rebel XTi's and 2 different Canon 5D's. It's not a camera problem; it's just that Adobe Camera RAW just doesn't know what it's doing when it comes to interpreting the colors from Canon RAW files. I've heard similar complaints re: its handling of Nikon RAW files.

Yes, using the ACR 'Camera Calibration' *can* help; but it really doesn't give you as 'rich' or 'nice' colors as Canon DPP. And it causes other artifacts. For example, every time I use the ACR calibrator & a Gretagmacbeth color checker card to come up with my values for the ACR calibration sliders, invariably the results indicate that I need to up the red saturation and move its hue 'to the left' (toward magenta). This causes magentas in the image to become overtly magenta, gaudily so. What happens is one gets patches of fully saturated magenta, which look unnatural. I will try and post some visual examples shortly.

The recent release of the 'beta DNG profiles' from Adobe (here:, changes all that and finally gives colors & renditions similar to the manufacturer's software (e.g. Canon DPP).
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-01-2009, 12:32 PM

I think you get to a point when you know what it should look like and you get overly critical.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography