RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Child Photography - ( Images and Ideas )

Old 12-11-2009, 02:30 AM

Re: Child Photography - ( Images and Ideas )

A few from yesterday. Still processing a good majority of the images. These were just a couple that I particularly liked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC8611-web.jpg (92.6 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg _DSC8659-web.jpg (97.3 KB, 33 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 03:12 AM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/...22eb71de4a.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3634/...fe26891704.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3441/...30b53fb59f.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3480/...46d11fc204.jpg

A few of my daughter. How do you embed pics here btw? (I'm new here)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 03:48 AM

Heres a sad one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg torgkonstbarn2_600.jpg (94.0 KB, 52 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 04:00 AM

Swarbees they are lovely particularly like the middle one

Alex nice ones especially the second one ( except the nail varnish draws my eyes ) it gives of a feeling of protectiveness

Michael some great shots and processing really like the colours and feel of the first one

Here is some info and adding your photo's, yes you will find them small but add your links as well that way when you go back in a few years your links might of gone but the smaller images will be there, it works well for reference etc

Pellepiano lovely makes you wonder what the child is looking at ! !

for the more "professional" photographers does is take a lot of work to get the children to pose or is it just see what happens (if you know what i mean )
and how do you stop the older kids from pulling funny faces or crossing there eyes etc ( I have one granddaughter who does this loads ) I have taken a nice shot of three of them only to find upon closer looking she has goofed around some

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 06:57 AM

It's a patience issue. If you do the Walmart-like route and try to just get that first smile, you're going to end up with a handful of shots that range from okay to acceptable. If you want to land "the shot," you have to entertain the child, have the parents entertain the child, etc. You have to be patient enough to stop, sit back, and wait for the child to calm down if they get upset, or in the case of older kids, wait for them to settle down.
But keep the camera ready and focused. When that smile happens, snap it. Then snap it again. And then again. You'll get a handful of brief smiley/laughy moments. If you shoot five to ten shots per instance, you'll have a good number of quality shots when you're done. And there's always one or two that stand out.
I personally spend about two hours on a kid shoot. I'll snap about seventy to a hundred frames, give or take. I generally come out of it with about forty to fifty quality shots, and at least three "wow" shots.
When you consider that high fashion photographers will shoot dozens of images, and with experienced models that can take direction, just to nail a single shot, my track record is pretty good. I land approximately one "wow" shot per twenty-five, and at least five quality shots.

I sold over $300 in prints off the shoot those two recent photographs came from. Again, it all boils down to patience, and being ready to click the shutter when they make the expression you are looking for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 07:02 AM

It also helps, if you aren't practiced at shooting children hand-held, to set the aperture small (about F/16) for greater depth of field. Then prefocus on the eye, and make sure you have 1:1 lighting so it doesn't matter which way the child turns when they start to play around.

If you set up this way and use a tripod, you can walk away from the camera and use a cable or remote. Funny faces go away when children think you aren't taking their picture.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 07:06 AM

michaelbs, I especially like the post on the first and fourth ones. The fourth has that polaroid-like feel to it. It's ironic that camera and film manufacturers have spent decades trying to get away from that look and generate true color, and now that they have, we spend our time trying to create nostalgic looks.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 07:47 AM

thank you Alex for your reply and tips, i sort of guessed it would be patience,
I think we "non pro's" think we should be able to get the shot in one go ! ! ! ! ! not realising that pro's take more than one ! ! !
I will try out the aperture setting
unfortunately i don't have a remote or cable, but my sort of trick is, Is to frame the shot and hold the camera as still as possible and look away then press the button, fooling them sometimes ( adults have fell for that trick as well ) sometimes it works others either i or they have moved.
Also i will use the continuous button so i get 2 or 3 shots and hope one is ok
Failing that i chase them and tickle the little blighters

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 09:25 AM

Most of the digital cameras today come with a wireless remote. What are you shooting with, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-11-2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFrazier View Post
Most of the digital cameras today come with a wireless remote. What are you shooting with, if you don't mind me asking?
Not a dslr
but a fuji finepix s5800

Palms
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography