RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Child Photography - ( Images and Ideas )

Old 12-11-2009, 03:54 PM

Re: Child Photography - ( Images and Ideas )

I see. That stinks that you can't use a cable or remote.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-22-2009, 08:10 AM

my first digital was a little light weight fuji finepix and my daughter has the 6500 which takes great shots--I love my Canon but there's a place in my heart for fuji- ;+}
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 03:35 AM

found this Flickr page today and thought i would share, some great photos and poses but not too sure how they achieved them or if i would try any

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kelleyryden/

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 06:33 AM

The woman who took those photos was on the Today show. Most of those poses with the newborns (which are the cool ones in my opinion) she said: Make sure the room is warm. Use a room heater if need be. Babies wake up and cry if they are cold. And make sure they are kept awake for a little bit before the shoot. Then feed them well right before bringing them. Between the two, they fall asleep and stay that way. When they are warm, fed, tired, and sleeping, you can do just about anything you want to a newborn.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/22043457/

The piece is on the left column a good ways down. It's called "Sleeping beauties." Photographs by Tracy Raver and Kelley Ryden.

You're absolutely right. The pictures are wonderful. I copied my favorites for imitation later when I first saw the Today episode.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFrazier View Post
The woman who took those photos was on the Today show. Most of those poses with the newborns (which are the cool ones in my opinion) she said: Make sure the room is warm. Use a room heater if need be. Babies wake up and cry if they are cold. And make sure they are kept awake for a little bit before the shoot. Then feed them well right before bringing them. Between the two, they fall asleep and stay that way. When they are warm, fed, tired, and sleeping, you can do just about anything you want to a newborn.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/22043457/

The piece is on the left column a good ways down. It's called "Sleeping beauties." Photographs by Tracy Raver and Kelley Ryden.

You're absolutely right. The pictures are wonderful. I copied my favorites for imitation later when I first saw the Today episode.
Thanks for the link just spent a happy half hour nosing around, all though the sleeping beauties was the only one i couldnt get to work ! but looked at other links for them.

They say they only use natural light from a window which is great for people like me who have no lights to know that you can still achieve good shots without them.

they also say that for newborns the cut off is about 4 weeks so as my newest granddaughter is 9 weeks that is out but luckily i have another grandchild due May and the light will be better, so some forward thinking going on here !

One draw back though is getting the room nice and warm so that the babies sleep better, wont that be the same for the photographer ! ! ! !

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 11:03 AM

Unfortunately, yes. If I remember correctly, they suggested about 80º. That's what I've been doing with newborns ever since. Makes me sweat like a pig. But it does the trick to keep the baby sleeping. What I did was buy a room heater from Walmart for about $50. Does a marvelous job.

And the only reason for the cut off at 4 weeks is that the babies don't stay asleep once they get that old. When they are brand new, all they do is sleep. Fill their bellies and you have no problem. When they are a month old or older, they are awake more often, more aware, and more difficult maneuver, pose, etc.

But frankly, nothing is as difficult as a two-year-old. I dread them every time I get a call. They tend to spend most of the time doing like this little boy (see the attachments). Although, these two shots gave his mother a smile and a chuckle when she got them in her email. She was having a bad day before they arrived. hehehehe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00035.jpg (98.2 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00036.jpg (98.1 KB, 21 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFrazier View Post
Unfortunately, yes. If I remember correctly, they suggested about 80º. That's what I've been doing with newborns ever since. Makes me sweat like a pig. But it does the trick to keep the baby sleeping. What I did was buy a room heater from Walmart for about $50. Does a marvelous job.

And the only reason for the cut off at 4 weeks is that the babies don't stay asleep once they get that old. When they are brand new, all they do is sleep. Fill their bellies and you have no problem. When they are a month old or older, they are awake more often, more aware, and more difficult maneuver, pose, etc.

But frankly, nothing is as difficult as a two-year-old. I dread them every time I get a call. They tend to spend most of the time doing like this little boy (see the attachments). Although, these two shots gave his mother a smile and a chuckle when she got them in her email. She was having a bad day before they arrived. hehehehe.
Nice photo's just the same, I must admit to having the thought a few days ago about how we always have the cute photo's out on display and not the ones like yours ! ! ! cause after all they are more true to life

Palms
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 01:41 PM

Hi everyone,
here's a couple of my favourites...

retouch.jpg

retouch2.jpg

Dave C
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-21-2010, 02:26 PM

Nice images. I like the first one best, but the second one is nice and crisp. Good job. You might consider lowering the white levels on the first image with the skin. It looks a touch overexposed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-05-2010, 12:46 AM

I want to put some more picture of baby from my collection ,she looks so cute and innocent .
Attached Images
File Type: gif babygirl.gif (12.5 KB, 8 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography