RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Child Photography - ( Images and Ideas )

Old 05-05-2010, 01:42 AM

Re: Child Photography - ( Images and Ideas )

Here's one of my newest. Shot this one about two weeks ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC1516BW.jpg (54.2 KB, 18 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2010, 02:55 PM

nice one, alex
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-10-2010, 06:23 PM

Many thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2010, 02:11 PM

I ran across this today and wanted to share. What a wonderful idea!

http://jeremyshane.deviantart.com/ar...ther-117671556
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2010, 03:45 PM

Clever idea.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-22-2010, 09:40 PM

nice one, dena
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2010, 06:44 AM

Smile Re: Child Photography - ( Images and Ideas )

Here's a few I have taken .....

I try to avoid backgrounds entirely and always shoot on white; it's just a personal taste, to me, it puts more focus on the people in the photo, and I try to stick to soft, all round, even lighting.

Some local 'old hat' photographers have said I'm breaking "rules" of photography with my haphazard style and lack of 'respect' for lighting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 045-9.jpg (31.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 027-3.jpg (31.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 032-2.jpg (24.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg 004-5.jpg (26.3 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 002-2.jpg (32.9 KB, 11 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2010, 08:29 AM

I hear you on the plain background thing.

I would make one very minor suggestion. Try to lose some of the negative space above the heads, particularly in shots like #s 1, 3, and 5. With such a tight crop on the sides and parts of the limbs cropped off, the negative space above their heads is distracting. It likewise begs the question that if you had room to move the image up, why cut into their limbs, if you understand where I'm coming from.

As for breaking the rules . . . those old hat photographers are more inclined towards a rembrandt look. The cheek on the dark side of the face should be lit, and the nose shadow is supposed to come down to the corner of the lip.
It looks like you are using short lighting, above and angled down at not quite a 45º angle, and it also looks like you are not lighting your backdrop, which is important not only for separation, but for a high key portrait. Not lighting it makes your subjects look like they are sitting in a dark room, or like they are in a garage with a white sheet behind them.

Personally, I'm okay with the look. In at least one of them, you were able to disguise the chubby face (#2) by your choice of lighting. However, what they are telling you is not wrong. It's words of wisdom from experience. There are ways to do exactly what you are already doing and really make the subjects pop.

Edit-

I added a portrait shot with an over/under technique. Light the subject from above and make a clamshell with a reflector underneath. This will give you a similar look to what you are already doing, but creates better specular highlights.
The other one is with classic lighting. Note the nose shadow that goes to the corner of the lip and the light on the cheek of the dark side. This is a variation of a rembrandt lighting setup with the light lower and a reflector on the dark side for fill.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SS-Stephanie-033.jpg (98.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg SS-Lauren-053.jpg (96.2 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by AFrazier; 05-23-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Added a Sample
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2010, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the advice, I do have issues with 'space' in my photos, a lot of it has to do with my shooting style that I need to get a bit of a grip on sometimes, and it's the one things that continues to plague me a bit is deciding how much space. I wish I could get better lighting for my background, but I don't quite have the space for extra lighting; but with that said, in a number of my photos the background is artificially darkened; initially, it was far too bright. Just, finding that balance between bright and dark, can be tricky.

The difficult part in my shoots is that nothing is posed, and I need to keep lights as far away from the area of the shoot as possible; when a parent brings a child in, I'll tell the parents "this photo shoot is for your child, not you, so you're going to stand there and you're child is going to show you what portraits he/she wants". So, you can imagine how excited a child gets realizing they decide how the photo shoot is going to go. I've had more than one light stand knocked over by kids who decide they want to "be a model" or wanted to dance or tried cheerleading moves, lol. So, I had to start keeping them at a much further distance, especially for the younger ones who get a little rambunctious. Of course, once they wear themselves out, they're usually ready for the portrait mom and dad want too.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2010, 11:34 AM

What are you using for lights? How are you setting them? And what settings are you shooting (in terms of aperture, shutter speed, and ISO)? I notice a shallow depth of field in several of the shots, so I assume you are shooting between F/2.8 and F/4, at maybe 1/60th-1/125th of a second to compensate for the low light output at a distance (inverse square law and all that), and ISO 200-400 when you can get away with it. Is that about right?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography