RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Child Photography - ( Images and Ideas )

Old 05-23-2010, 01:50 PM

Re: Child Photography - ( Images and Ideas )

Yes, you pretty much nailed it. I usually shot between 2.8 and 3.5, with an occasional jump to 4, and tried to stay either 100-200 ISO.

I used to use continual lighting in the form of two fluorescent based soft boxes, and two umbrella lights to try to mimic natural light on a cloudy day; with a large reflect to bounce flash ..... sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

I relied a lot on my Speedlite and diffuser to try to increase ambient light, where necessary. I still have a lot of learn when it comes to photography and lighting though; lighting is my weakest point, even when it comes to retouching.

Recently, I had to move my studio, so I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to create a good setup in a much, much smaller space. I went from having a commercial building to a home studio ..... bit of a rough transition.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2010, 02:21 PM

Go down to Home Depot and buy a bunch of 7 or 9 inch hot lights. They are almost the same thing as beauty dishes and cost about $7. Make sure you get ones that can handle higher wattage. Then use the curly flourescent bulbs. They don't get hot.

To diffuse it, you can buy the fabric the umbrellas and soft boxes are made of. Just build a wooden frame out of 1×1s, stretch the fabric, and then staple it.

If you have enough lights, you will have plenty to work with. You'll need at least six or eight to have enough light to work comfortably with a small aperture and a well lit backdrop.

Set your white balance to 3800º to compensate for the color difference.

That's the cheapest way I know to do a lighting setup. You can do a whole setup for less than $200.

Use 1×1 wooden frames to clamp the lights to.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2010, 02:24 PM

And a good rule of thumb, unless you are going for a specific artistic look, try to shoot portraits (when possible) at at least F/8. It gives the face better dimensions, and there is a lower probability of focus issues.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Thanks, I never really considered going to the hardware store and creating mock up lights on a tighter budget, but I think I'll go and see what they have down there this week. My current soft boxes use several 5500 K florescents; my umbrella lights use larger ones, but still 5500 K.

My shooting at less than F4 is artistically intentional, I occasionally drop down to 1.4, but yes, it can be tricky with children. When I'm taking the photos, usually, I only have one focus point active on the camera, and I try to nail the eye with it (this sometimes accounts for my sometimes off-skew framing, since I have very little time to choose between focus and framing). And generally, with children, they move a lot; so, trying to dial in camera settings, setting a focus point, and framing the shot during the action can be like playing a video game. However, when I have more people in the scene, I'll turn off auto-focus, use a tripod, and then I'll go into much higher Fstop; there's more preparedness in family photos, since there's more people; depending on the number of people, and how many are lined up front to back, I'll go from F8-F16.

But yeah, the hardware store might be a good place for me to go ...... I might see how about getting something to allow me to mount my lights from the ceiling as well, leaving the floor space more open.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2010, 07:34 PM

Was just setting up my camera and took a couple of shots to test lighting and all that and ended up with one lucky shot.
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...G_7599bkw2.jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7599wb.jpg (80.9 KB, 10 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-06-2010, 09:37 PM

One of my favorites from a shoot the other day, the first I've done since closing my main studio back in March.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sh0043.jpg (68.0 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2010, 12:20 AM

roob,

some good stuff there!

one other suggestion to the negative space comment, or at least similar. in the girl reposing, the 2nd pic in post #47, i'd be very tempted to crop that to a portrait layout rather than landscape. i'd take the front half, mostly the head and shoulders and use that. the rest is really of little importance. we would still get that she's laying down, even with a fairly tight crop. and by losing all the other part you'd enchance the real focal point, the face. it's still a good shot like it is, but if i were offering this up to a client, i'd probably give them both ways.

and on your last post, #56, this is also a good shot, but i'd vary the lighting tween the foreground and background a bit more. the face, the way it is, seems to slip/fade into the background just a bit. still a darling shot, though
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2010, 12:25 AM

mtpfamily,

really nice black and white there!

but, like roob's, there'a bit too much space around the main subject. crop it in tigher and offset the baby from center a bit. you could even crop this zoomed way in, even cutting off the top of the head a bit. you've got good resolution and good focus, so bring the baby forth!
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 AM

It was just a test shot. Was not even planning on taking pictures of her. The Wife was the subject. [PHP]My daughter just hapened to be there at the moment and I used her to ajust my settings. Will give your close crop a try and see how it looks. Thanks for the advice on keeping the space around your subject smalll.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 04:31 AM

beautiful and nice pics.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography