RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Jewelry and Cufflinks!! HELP PLEASE

Old 09-29-2009, 03:11 AM

Re: Jewelry and Cufflinks!! HELP PLEASE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilized Soul View Post
EXPOSE FOR THE SHADOWS! Please use a grey card. Insert it between your lens and the subject. The grey card should be exactly where the subject should be. Expose on the grey card then lock the exposure. Then focus and shoot. If your not creating any shadows on your background you may not have to retouch it at all. Check your levels in the camera before you shoot. Be sure you're getting at least some mountains all the way to the left and all the way to the right. I might suggest getting your subject off the table a little bit. (with a couple of dots of dried glue in just the right spots) And what is wrong with shadows. Shadows create dimension. Get the cufflinks off the surface just a touch then add a narrow spot light from above. Photoshop pros get paid a lot of money to create artificial shadows for catalog items because a 3 dimensional effect is far more pleasing to the customers eye. It's not you that needs to be impressed, it's your customer. Get away from your work. Use a longer lens and a smaller aperture and a longer exposure. You'll get a crisp, clean photo with crisp, clean shadows.
Long live Jahmbi

OK Civil.. too much information for me
I really like shadow, and I want to create shadow when I have right white background. I was thinking to have clear background then use PS to create shadow separately. I think I am not happy with result, not because of shadow I think it's just not looking right. I am looking for customer point of view and keen to show the actual product, the product itself is fine quality but when you see in the picture it's not given me right look.

Anyway I will try to do step by step process and will try few different methods as what you all suggesting.

"Insert it between your lens and the subject. The grey card should be exactly where the subject should be." could you tell me little bit more about this method!! as you know that I have light box, which should control the all the lighting effect but when I go to close I she more grays area... anyway I am repeating myself... let me try again and I will post the new image soon.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB2005 View Post
True. You can also take 2 shots, one sharp focused for each cuff link. Not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but white plexiglass with a full spectrum light source underneath the item will brighten the background, although you will have to experiment with exposures. I know you don't want to cut out the items as clipping paths, but since these are mainly square shapes, it might be faster just shooting the item as close as you can, cut the path and then cut and paste to a pure 255 white background. It may take longer just getting the lighting correct. If you set up your magic wand or color range settings to mask out the item away from the background, you might get lucky and make your workflow run faster. Experiment and see what might happen. Let us know.
Thanks Steve!!

I have tried taking pictures with sharp and more white light using built-in camera facilities which actually producing the result!! but but!!! I am losing the product back details!! I don't mind clipping and I was testing Pen methods yesterday which will work fine for this Cufflinks but it's not going to work with more complicated jewelry which I have. I will take couple shot again and will try to show you guys to extra help!! You all were great!! Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2009, 06:48 AM

What about ligting the subject from the bottom. I have heard that jewelry pics are taken by iluminating from the bottom throught a translucent surface.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2009, 07:05 AM

OK!! I will try that too, I guess I need to buy one more lighting set!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2009, 07:13 AM

In theory, that's to avoid excesive shinning... You may should ask in www.digitalgrin.com There are lot of wiseass photographers in that website.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2009, 07:20 PM
Patron

Many different reflectors of various sizes, curvature, and colors, (depending on the object being photographed...) which are strategically placed inside the box/tent but out of camera lens view will sometimes help provide interesting reflections that emphasize shape and form..

This site (jewelryphotography.com) might help you with the photography.

(Click Here) for the retouching page

OR

tabletopstudio.com

These resources should help get you started in the right direction... Good Luck!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography