RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 02:34 AM

Re: Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Nasturtium,
Is that really you jumping or is it a comp? btw, what do you play?
Oh, and I forgot, I love the tree. He looks like he wants a hug.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:00 AM

crazyfly1-lol. If I could jump like that I wouldn't need Photoshop :-) Most deflnitely a comp. I have a P&S Lumix but I'm playing around trying to learn how the Canon 40D works. It's a rather humbling experience. - Nancy
Old 04-02-2010, 10:39 PM

got my new kodak z981 today. thought i'd show you the diff tween the 26x optical zoom and regular, not zoomed in

these are both cropped WAY down to fit the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat-zoomed-in-1-k-1.jpg (195.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg cat-not-zoomed-1-k-1.jpg (193.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-04-2010, 11:41 PM

out playing by the lake recently. the geese can run now, but they cant hide!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0042-crop-psp-2-k-1ff.jpg (188.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-05-2010, 03:34 PM

New lashes. comments? =)
I would have wanted to get hair light but I dont have boom so.. Gotta propably get one.

Setup:
BXRi 500 with umbrella behind model left side from camera view. (lighting background and rim light)
AcuteB with octa camera left as main
TriGrip camera left as fill

40D + 50mm/f1.4 (@f2.8 1/125 ISO100)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abc1.jpg (97.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg abc2.jpg (92.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-06-2010, 03:24 AM

Craig - Very nice. I like your geese capture. Keep the feedback on your new camera coming.

Overdoze-We're always wanting the next thing, no? The lashes are more than over the top but I think that's quite all right in the context of high fashion
Old 04-06-2010, 11:19 PM

thanks, nancy

still learning. had a hard time finding out how to shoot in RAW. i finally found kodak's extended user manual online and dug through it. it seems that you cant shoot in RAW in every camera mode. i also found out paint shop pro x2 couldnt read kodak's RAW format. so, i'll have to write to corel now. but, i can shoot in RAW now.

i also tried out shooting a few videos. boy, talk about camera wobble. lol. time to get a good tripod or monopod. i did like the quality, though, despite the wobble. even zoomed in the quality was pretty good. i also had to get Apple's Quicktime in order to play back the videos. that was a bit surprising. i would have thought kodak would have had their own viewer/player. but, i suppose why re-invent the wheel, ay?

the geese are starting to get used to me. i was out on the dam and one pair let me get within about 10 yards of them. and the old boy, the king of the roost, was standing proud at about 20 to 30 yards. so, i got some nice shots today. havent offloaded them from the camera yet. i'm also feeding them, which may be why they're tolerating me more. i've got some old field corn still on the cob that i set out for them each day the pair that let me get close decided at one point that maybe i was a bit too close, but instead of swimming away like they normally do, they just started squacking their heads off, which made for some good shots. we've got about four pairs that are nesting around the edges of the lake. i even took a shot of one of the new nests. no eggs yet and the nest isnt fully formed yet, but how cool looking forward to some shots of the goslings swimming around with momma and poppa

the camera takes four batteries, unlike the two in my other kodak. this is good. the battery life seems to last longer with this one.

and, having a better battery life is crucial. when i'm holding the camera with it on, i can feel tiny vibrations within. i think this may be the continuous, active focus. this is kind of handy and kind of annoying at times. the continuous focus is constantly moving around when you're lining up a shot and thus the lens motor is constantly adjusting. this is ok for most shots, but sometimes, like today shooting the geese, the focus kept losing the geese and picking the water or weeds or something else. mostly, it's good, but you can change it in the camera menu to not be active and just be a single auto-focus. so, 50/50 on that one.

the white balance seems a bit strong to me, too. also, the exposure seems a bit too much in the main auto-capture mode. reflections are coming in as blown out whites and even white light on things like grass seems a bit too much and too bright in some daylight shots. i've been studying how to change these things and will probably adjust them downwards a bit.

one amazing thing i've found that i couldnt do on the other camera is i can set the lens practically touching the object i want to shoot and have it perfectly in focus! now, considering that this camera has a telephoto capability of 676mm (equivalent), that just amazes me that i can also zoom in that close! you do have to tweak the settings here and there to get that, but you can do it. so...wow

i've tried a few shots completely in manual. god, i've gotten so lazy with all this auto-focus, auto everything. i feel like a complete amateur again. the shots came out pretty badly. lol. back to the books! still, it's nice to have some manual control, even if i am out of practice. i think i need to go back to a pinhole camera and re-learn everything

and speaking of re-learning everything, i've been doing a little study of optics and camera internals. i always knew about depth of field and mostly knew how and when to use it, but i never knew WHY it worked that way, what was the theory and mechanics of why it works that way. now i know. how simple! lol. so, i guess you can teach an old dog new tricks

more later
Old 04-06-2010, 11:38 PM
Patron

Thought I had better shoot these Magnolias even though it was very windy out today.. especially before the wind, rain, and hail we are expecting tonight, got to the blooms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnolias.jpg (187.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 AM

Craig-"squacking" has to be the best new word. Yeah, manual. I had to get and read 'Understanding Exposure' :-(

Our Flip camera has that video shake problem too. The SLR has a focus mode that can be locked in or tries to follow movement.

In learning the 40D I just found out that it does WB auto bracketing (!) how cool is that?

The coolest thing you mentioned was the close focus. Can't wait to see those fly eyeballs or whatever you choose to shoot.

OLBaldy - Did those pretty pink flowers survive the hail? I hope so.

I thought I would document the rare occasion of a clean kitchen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-joys-of-a-clean-kitchen97k.jpg (100.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-07-2010, 12:16 AM

wonderful, OB! i'll have to post some pics of the redbuds i took the other say. i do hope we dont get a frost now. it would kill way too much
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography