RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:13 AM

Re: Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Craig, here he is in color.

Thank you for your comments on the dock shot. I've been working on my framing and cropping, black and white seems to help with that as all I see is the tones. Seems like color can kind of cloud a picture for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SC-01b4-2.jpg (97.6 KB, 24 views)
Old 03-12-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
william,

i'm a fan of black and whites. however, i'm thinkin the first, the alligator shot, might look better in color. but, i love the dock shot. great perspective and great contrasts. very nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfly1 View Post
Craig, here he is in color.

Thank you for your comments on the dock shot. I've been working on my framing and cropping, black and white seems to help with that as all I see is the tones. Seems like color can kind of cloud a picture for me.
Crazyfly - I agree with Craig on both images, and with you about color interfering with our concentration on composition. Color is such a strong element that it can blind us to other pieces of the image (I have the same issue myself); I think your working in b/w while working on composition and cropping is a sound idea. After working on composition, then you can decide which images you want to keep b/w and which would look better in color or in both b/w and color. The dock image has strong lines and interesting composition and works well in b/w. The alligator shot doesn't have enough contrast to show well in b/w, I think. Color can sometimes BE the subject, it is that strong of an element.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:47 AM

Cj, Thank you. I was hoping for more feedback after the color post. I thought that the bw was better because the only color was green. After reading your post and looking at it again with new eyes I see that you and Craig are both right.
The bw doesn't have any lights and the color brings out the water plants and the algae and the wavy green lines in front of the gator.
Again, thank you both for your sound advise.
Old 03-17-2010, 05:30 AM

crazyfly1-the BW dock picture is great. On the 'gator shot I think you have to 'forget what you know and look at what you see'. Alas the way our brain directs attention can be pretty darn hard to duplicate in a 2D static picture. :-(

I'm messing around with trying to learn how to shoot in manual mode. Gosh! It's hard! And thank goodness I'm doing this in the digital age. lol. I think I'm going to give up on expensive face creams and just depend on photoshop to make my skin look good from now on out. :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg C3PO-Happy-meal-Toy73k.jpg (75.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg stpatricksdayselfportrait92k.jpg (91.2 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg Nasturtium151.jpg (154.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg stpattydaystillife168k.jpg (170.7 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-18-2010, 11:58 PM

is that you, nasturtium?

i much prefer manual. i wish these smaller cameras had manual zooms. and yes, digital helps
Old 03-20-2010, 10:25 AM

Had to find something to do. And I got birthday tomorrow so made a picture for myself. What you think?

About the setup:
40D with 16-35mm/f2.8 @ (16mm/f5.6 ISO 100)
2x BXRi 500 with basic reflectors. (behind model both sides, minimum power)
1x acuteB with zoom reflector and grid (right from camera)
1x 430EX with omni bounce (as fill from camera direction)

postprod:
LR and PS
removed little this and that from background in PS
Added and modified the smoke in PS (liguify)
toning in LR (i dont know why but this is reaaly much easier in LR)
curves and vignette in PS
save for web
Attached Images
File Type: jpg birth2.jpg (96.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 03-20-2010, 07:20 PM

Overdoze, Nice pic!! Love the smoke. If you don't mind I might steal that whole idea for my facebook pic.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:26 PM

K, sorry guys I'm back with deer and I have 4 fav's so I'm gonna mini blow up the thread.
I shot these tonight in my driveway.
It's nice that they want to pose, but I can't get them to stop staring at the camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deer6.jpg (89.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg deer3.jpg (98.3 KB, 16 views)
Old 03-20-2010, 07:29 PM

BTW
1/100 sec
f/8
ISO 200

Bet you never saw a deers tongue before lol.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deer4.jpg (96.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg deer2.jpg (98.1 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-20-2010, 11:13 PM

those are good, william, especially the first two. i'm hoping to get some that close up with my new camera coming soon
Old 03-21-2010, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Overdoze, Nice pic!! Love the smoke. If you don't mind I might steal that whole idea for my facebook pic.
Thx! =) and I dont mind.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:42 AM

Quote:
...It's nice that they want to pose, but I can't get them to stop staring at the camera.
LOL!!

I love seeing your deer visitors, and I especially like the first one -- I like having more of the background show. It would be my choice of enlargement or turning into a painting. Of course, those close-ups with the tongue are wonderful views also.

Overdoze - great portrait concept and execution! Sounds like you are experienced with lighting, which is a subject many of us are still nervous about.
Old 03-21-2010, 04:44 AM

Happy March equinox, everyone!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MarchEquinox10.jpg (86.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 03-26-2010, 03:31 PM

just as we think spring is coming apparently winter may be back next week ! ! !

hopefully these will get through with a bit of TLC

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sunflower-seed.jpg (90.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg sunflowerseed-2.jpg (96.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-27-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz View Post

Overdoze - great portrait concept and execution! Sounds like you are experienced with lighting, which is a subject many of us are still nervous about.
Thanks! Usually great ideas leads to great pictures. And like many others, I got good light days and bad light days. Learning all the time and expirementing is key to success. Shame that I havent had enough time/models to train. And somehow expirienced, Im thinking that my level is somewhere between total amateur and "pro". =D I got lots of know how and now im just trying to learn how to use my knowledge in real situation.

Last edited by Overdoze; 03-29-2010 at 07:40 AM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:29 AM

Craig - yup, 'tis I.
Overdoze-that is so cool.
Crazyfly-What a magical moment - in your own backyard!
CJ-gorgeous flowers. The long cold, gray winter has made us all so hungry for bright colors
palms1-We sure had some crazy spring weather. Hope your sprouts survive the hardship

I've been giving myself assignments - how to get a proper exposure, using the tripod -n- stuff. Today is Monday so I tried to get a good 'Bench Monday' (a really kewl group on Flickr) shot.

This is an HDR shot of a tree. The light is pretty awful today but I messed with it until it was purdy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg one-of-the-oldest-memeber-of-the-neighborhood197k.jpg (196.2 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-31-2010, 04:47 PM

My friend wanted a picture about her new hair so this is the result.

Camera and lens: 40D + 50mm/f1.4 (@5.6 ISO100)
Quick setup for lighting:
AcuteB camera left as main light
BXRi 500 cameral left behind model to blow out background (cleaned in photoshop)
Canon 430EX bounced from ceiling to hair ( to give little fill on the opposite side of main light)

Postpros:
Camera raw for basic adjustments
Toned what i wanted it to look like
lots of cleaning with hair (model skin was great)
little dodgin and burnin all a round (mostly hair, but little hand and face too)
With channel luminosity mask highlight little up with levels and shadows little down to add contrast . (http://www.goodlight.us/writing/lumi...tymasks-1.html) never tried it before.. looked pretty nice.. better that only curves or levels contrast adjustement.

Hope you like it =)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1417-Edit-grained.jpg (97.4 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-31-2010, 09:26 PM

odd, those dont look much like your avatar pic, nasturtium. pretty

spring has finally arrived here, as well. temperatures starting to hit in the 70's. forsythias are out in full, daffodils are going crazy and even the large tulip trees are blooming their large pink and whites. gotta say, i'm liking it

oh, and i love that tree in that shot, nasturtium! what a grand old beast!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:35 PM

Overdoze, she should be very happy with that picture. Thanks for including your lighting details
Craig-Just call me a woman of mystery :-)

This turned out more 'Linda Blair' that I intended but it's just my first attempt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lol170k.jpg (169.2 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-01-2010, 10:59 PM

alright, miss woman of mystery, what in the world are you doing playing trampoline on the couch? didnt your mother ever tell you... lol. i like it
Old 04-02-2010, 01:34 AM

Nasturtium,
Is that really you jumping or is it a comp? btw, what do you play?
Oh, and I forgot, I love the tree. He looks like he wants a hug.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:00 AM

crazyfly1-lol. If I could jump like that I wouldn't need Photoshop :-) Most deflnitely a comp. I have a P&S Lumix but I'm playing around trying to learn how the Canon 40D works. It's a rather humbling experience. - Nancy
Old 04-02-2010, 09:39 PM

got my new kodak z981 today. thought i'd show you the diff tween the 26x optical zoom and regular, not zoomed in

these are both cropped WAY down to fit the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cat-zoomed-in-1-k-1.jpg (195.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg cat-not-zoomed-1-k-1.jpg (193.0 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-04-2010, 10:41 PM

out playing by the lake recently. the geese can run now, but they cant hide!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0042-crop-psp-2-k-1ff.jpg (188.5 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-05-2010, 02:34 PM

New lashes. comments? =)
I would have wanted to get hair light but I dont have boom so.. Gotta propably get one.

Setup:
BXRi 500 with umbrella behind model left side from camera view. (lighting background and rim light)
AcuteB with octa camera left as main
TriGrip camera left as fill

40D + 50mm/f1.4 (@f2.8 1/125 ISO100)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg abc1.jpg (97.0 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg abc2.jpg (92.0 KB, 19 views)
Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 AM

Craig - Very nice. I like your geese capture. Keep the feedback on your new camera coming.

Overdoze-We're always wanting the next thing, no? The lashes are more than over the top but I think that's quite all right in the context of high fashion
Old 04-06-2010, 10:19 PM

thanks, nancy

still learning. had a hard time finding out how to shoot in RAW. i finally found kodak's extended user manual online and dug through it. it seems that you cant shoot in RAW in every camera mode. i also found out paint shop pro x2 couldnt read kodak's RAW format. so, i'll have to write to corel now. but, i can shoot in RAW now.

i also tried out shooting a few videos. boy, talk about camera wobble. lol. time to get a good tripod or monopod. i did like the quality, though, despite the wobble. even zoomed in the quality was pretty good. i also had to get Apple's Quicktime in order to play back the videos. that was a bit surprising. i would have thought kodak would have had their own viewer/player. but, i suppose why re-invent the wheel, ay?

the geese are starting to get used to me. i was out on the dam and one pair let me get within about 10 yards of them. and the old boy, the king of the roost, was standing proud at about 20 to 30 yards. so, i got some nice shots today. havent offloaded them from the camera yet. i'm also feeding them, which may be why they're tolerating me more. i've got some old field corn still on the cob that i set out for them each day the pair that let me get close decided at one point that maybe i was a bit too close, but instead of swimming away like they normally do, they just started squacking their heads off, which made for some good shots. we've got about four pairs that are nesting around the edges of the lake. i even took a shot of one of the new nests. no eggs yet and the nest isnt fully formed yet, but how cool looking forward to some shots of the goslings swimming around with momma and poppa

the camera takes four batteries, unlike the two in my other kodak. this is good. the battery life seems to last longer with this one.

and, having a better battery life is crucial. when i'm holding the camera with it on, i can feel tiny vibrations within. i think this may be the continuous, active focus. this is kind of handy and kind of annoying at times. the continuous focus is constantly moving around when you're lining up a shot and thus the lens motor is constantly adjusting. this is ok for most shots, but sometimes, like today shooting the geese, the focus kept losing the geese and picking the water or weeds or something else. mostly, it's good, but you can change it in the camera menu to not be active and just be a single auto-focus. so, 50/50 on that one.

the white balance seems a bit strong to me, too. also, the exposure seems a bit too much in the main auto-capture mode. reflections are coming in as blown out whites and even white light on things like grass seems a bit too much and too bright in some daylight shots. i've been studying how to change these things and will probably adjust them downwards a bit.

one amazing thing i've found that i couldnt do on the other camera is i can set the lens practically touching the object i want to shoot and have it perfectly in focus! now, considering that this camera has a telephoto capability of 676mm (equivalent), that just amazes me that i can also zoom in that close! you do have to tweak the settings here and there to get that, but you can do it. so...wow

i've tried a few shots completely in manual. god, i've gotten so lazy with all this auto-focus, auto everything. i feel like a complete amateur again. the shots came out pretty badly. lol. back to the books! still, it's nice to have some manual control, even if i am out of practice. i think i need to go back to a pinhole camera and re-learn everything

and speaking of re-learning everything, i've been doing a little study of optics and camera internals. i always knew about depth of field and mostly knew how and when to use it, but i never knew WHY it worked that way, what was the theory and mechanics of why it works that way. now i know. how simple! lol. so, i guess you can teach an old dog new tricks

more later
Old 04-06-2010, 10:38 PM
Patron

Thought I had better shoot these Magnolias even though it was very windy out today.. especially before the wind, rain, and hail we are expecting tonight, got to the blooms.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnolias.jpg (187.4 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-06-2010, 11:15 PM

Craig-"squacking" has to be the best new word. Yeah, manual. I had to get and read 'Understanding Exposure' :-(

Our Flip camera has that video shake problem too. The SLR has a focus mode that can be locked in or tries to follow movement.

In learning the 40D I just found out that it does WB auto bracketing (!) how cool is that?

The coolest thing you mentioned was the close focus. Can't wait to see those fly eyeballs or whatever you choose to shoot.

OLBaldy - Did those pretty pink flowers survive the hail? I hope so.

I thought I would document the rare occasion of a clean kitchen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the-joys-of-a-clean-kitchen97k.jpg (100.1 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-06-2010, 11:16 PM

wonderful, OB! i'll have to post some pics of the redbuds i took the other say. i do hope we dont get a frost now. it would kill way too much
Old 04-06-2010, 11:29 PM

hehe, nancy. i love the way you put that, 'document the rare occasion...' lol. as if, nobody's going to believe this unless i have proof? love it oh, and nice pic

yes, ducks quack, swans sqawk, but geese squack! they actually get quite loud, are very protective parents(!) and quite territorial during mating season. the house overlooks the lake but you can hear them from there chasing each other, giving alarm and generally just being party animals. just be careful where you walk on the dam. they are also NOT housebroken

yeah, the image stabilization isnt really good in small cameras. i'm thinking of getting a monopod that i can wear from my belt, one of those telescoping ones i can fold up and hide away easily.

yup, white balance auto-bracketing is cool. i can also set cluster shots and do exposure bracketing, shoot these in RAW and then do HDRI on them.... erm, once i get a bit more familiar with things.

yes, the close-up surprised me. i thought it would more like 12 to 18 inches for a limit, but i tried this out just sitting in my chair and took a pic of my blue jeans i was wearing. the lens was just about touching the pants and it came out that you could read the thread count. i was nicely surprised

i havent done any close, close-ups like that yet, well, nothing worthy of showing. just some test shots. but, back in my film slr days, i had macro lenses, extension tubes, reversing lenses and the whole gamut of closeup attachments. my favorite was a shot of a cigarette ash in an ashtray. it looked like some alien, bug-ridden... something.

i'm definitely having fun with it so far
Old 04-07-2010, 11:46 PM

well, i found out why the geese were tolerating me being so close. we have eggs! in fact, i found two nests along one shore and each had five eggs within. so, momma and poppa werent tolerating me, they were guarding against me!

this isnt the best shot in the world, but it shows the scene fairly well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0241-psp-1-k-1rp.jpg (194.9 KB, 21 views)
Old 04-08-2010, 12:17 AM
Patron

Nice shot! I'm suprised you didn't get attacked!
Old 04-10-2010, 09:22 PM

thanks, OB

they were definitely keeping an eye on me
Old 04-10-2010, 09:49 PM

Smile Re: Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Now the challenge is to make the bananas look fresh. Hey, good job.

I started a new thread ~ the last one was getting really long.

First I took a snap with my P&S on the 'food' preset to see what aperture it chose. Then I set up the SLR with that setting and played a bit. I now have a new found admiration for still life painters. DS helped me with the dodge and burning. This probably would have looked better BEFORE I ate half the grapes. [/QUOTE]
Old 04-11-2010, 06:24 PM

this was taken from my secret stash of flowers. shhhh! nobody else knows about these
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0266-psp-1-k-1rp.jpg (196.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-12-2010, 03:59 AM

Chuckcars - lol. I've had to toss two bunches of bananas that I bought to photograph but never got around to in time.
Craig-those are eye-poppin' loud

there was good light this morning so I played with trying to get a good exposure on manual setting.

WB-check
Aperture, ISO, shutterspeed-check
manual focus-check
light metering mode...ummm

there's so much to remember. I really need a pre-flight check list
Attached Images
File Type: jpg late-spring-V3-95k.jpg (98.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-14-2010, 10:40 AM

It's just getting to be spring here, I really like all the flower pics!
Old 04-14-2010, 10:48 AM

Here are 2 that I took yesterday on my way to the store. I'll up exif data later.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_0654.jpg (89.2 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg _MG_0558.jpg (85.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-14-2010, 01:43 PM

Nice day at the park. Just for fun pictures. What do you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_2063.jpg (98.4 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-14-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
there's so much to remember. I really need a pre-flight check list
lol. sounds like me and why i've been tending to go to 'capture' mode way too often they look lovely. good use of depth of field

nice, william. like the ram one best.

overdoze, a bit bright in the face, but a nice composition.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:52 PM

I took this photo today so that i could try and work out if it was a native ladybird or a Harlequin invader ! ! !

Still not sure

if you would like to know more here is the web site

http://www.harlequin-survey.org/default.htm

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ladybug.jpg (84.2 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 AM

crazyfly1-Must be cool to live so close to wild nature
Overdoze-I really like the picture. The model is so great I think the dog isn't necessary.
palms1-sorry. not a clue.
Craig, were you reading the optics stuff online, or from a book? I'd be interested in a link if you've got one.

So today I read that the sweet spot on my 50mm lens was F2. So I went to test it out for myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kooltjesburt83k.jpg (85.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 04-19-2010, 09:17 AM
Patron

I took this photo on Seabrook Island yesterday. All the Azaleas around here are in bloom the countryside is full of this sort of interest and color.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Betty'sYard2.jpg (63.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 04-21-2010, 10:40 PM

nancy, here's a couple decent articles online about depth of field. beware, however, some of it is quite technical, so have a good dictionary with you http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/camera1.htm
http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...h-of-field.htm

i think if you tried to smudge the bug, palms, he'd be squished nice shot

see, now i can tell you why that's not all in focus, nancy f2 = big aperture = small depth of field! odd that the small numbers are larger apertures and the big numbers are small apertures. who decided all that?

very lovely shot, phil! i love grand old trees!
Old 04-22-2010, 11:04 AM
Patron

Quote:
odd that the small numbers are larger apertures and the big numbers are small apertures.
Not odd at all. f-numbers are ratios. f2 means the aperture diameter is 1/2 the focal length; f8 is 1/8, f16 = 1/16...you get the idea. The usual sequence is, or was in the old film days, ...1.4, 2, 2.8, 5.6, 8, 11, 16, 22...see the pattern? Given an f number, to get the next one you multiply by the square root of 2, then round off.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:48 PM

Craig-thanks! just the kind of info I was looking for
dk-I could kiss you! What a lucid explanation. Now that makes perfect sense!

I bought these tulips with the intention of learning the flash but I'm intimidated! All those three letter acronyms! Must read

50 mm f1.4 1/60 iso200 partial light metering, auto white balance
no flash

mucho Photoshop (mostly color balance, for fun)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tulips-2-134k.jpg (137.4 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Nasturtium; 04-23-2010 at 03:24 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 PM

nancy,

forgive me, but i liked the image and i also did quite a bit more than just a contrast adjustment or anything. but, i liked it and thought you might also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tulips-2-134k-1-k-1d-rp.jpg (191.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-25-2010, 01:26 AM

Craig-wait a minute - let me put on my sunglasses first. BLING!
terrific edit
Old 04-25-2010, 07:44 PM

thank you it's always a bit of a hesitation to post these.
Old 04-29-2010, 11:05 PM

this was taken today, out on our lake. we had four goose nests around the lake this year. one is still sitting, but these were out and about and was the first time i'd seen them. two of the other nests are empty now, along with this pair's nest, so only one nest left with eggs and she's got six. not sure what happened to the other two pair. sometimes right after hatching the parents will take them elsewhere, but most times they'll stay around the lake for a while. so, dont know if all the others hatched or if some got eaten or abandoned or what, but at least we've got these four little goslings. there's just something soothing about watching them swim about on the lake, like, yes, this is what's supposed to happen

shot taken with my kodak z981, pretty much full telephoto and cheated with the auto-focus and other auto-settings, but hey, i like it i did doctor it a bit in psp but nothing extreme, just a little hue/sat, contrast, clarify, fade correction and a little usm, all with fairly small adjustments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0457-psp-1-k-1rp.jpg (192.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 04-29-2010, 11:28 PM

Craig, thanks for the shots of the goslings - love "baby" photos! I love ducks and ducklings, but goslings go thru a stage of fuzziness that is even better than baby ducks.

I'll have to go to the local artificially created pond (it is Arizona, after all) and get my baby duck/goose fix if there are any still there.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:33 PM

hehe, hadnt thought of this as a 'baby' pic, but yes, i guess it is about a month ago we had three others. this four is the latest and if the last eggs hatch on the last nest, we'll have six more. she's still sitting. he stays very close guarding. i went down there yesterday to check things out and to leave her a little corn. as i approached she got up and slowly, and reluctantly, got into the water. he came in close and they were both raising a storm. i stayed just long enough to count six eggs and leave the bits of corn.

today, i didnt see the four little ones or their parents, but the remaining couple was still there, diligently sitting and guarding. i look forward to taking some more 'baby' pics
Old 04-30-2010, 09:54 PM

Craig - they grow up so fast!

I found out how much time you have to take a picture of a 10 year old. Not very much. He got tired of the whole exercise after only two frames. Here he is waiting for me to set the EV (50mm, f5.6, iso 400). In the 2nd picture I used the fill flash.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg themusician81k.jpg (81.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg itoad113k.jpg (116.2 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-02-2010, 08:52 PM

hehe, yes, i feel like a poppa and they'll be leaving all too soon

your boy? nice composition. and that 2nd one looks like you(?) were having a quiet, content morning. love those
Old 05-06-2010, 01:49 AM

Craig, yeppers - he's my pride and joy. And yes - it looks like I was having a quiet morning lol.

I have houseguests so we visited the Dutch tulip gardens at Keukenhof yesterday. Fabulous day! I love my 50mm lens.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dutchmansbritches122k.jpg (121.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 05-07-2010, 01:15 PM

he looks like a sweetheart. i feel your pride

lovely composite. i like that
Old 05-11-2010, 03:12 AM

this was taken yesterday a little foray into b&w again

Palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg key.jpg (87.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 AM

Palms - love the sharp detail on the key with the soft out of focus background. Also love the tight framing excluding all but your subject. Very nice job!
Old 05-15-2010, 12:12 PM

nice one, palms. i could see running that through a high pass filter in filter forge, but regardless, it's a good shot. makes you wonder "whose keys and what's the door go to?" and yes, i like the sharp focus also.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:07 PM

Fresh out of Photoshop.Anna Ericsson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg anna_hidden_face_normal_700.jpg (99.9 KB, 24 views)
Old 05-18-2010, 10:00 PM

good night shot, pelle!
Old 05-19-2010, 01:50 PM

Anyone good at identification of snakes? It might be a corn snake or a coachwhip. My dog and I came across it late last nite as we started our walk; the snake was draped lengthwise across the sidewalk at the entrance to our neighborhood greenbelt park. At first I thought it was either a dead snake or a toy that some bratty person placed there to scare people. If it had been tan, I would have turned around and headed away for fear that it could be a venomous young snake (I'm not good at telling whether a snake is small because it's a small snake or a baby ). Since I could see that it was orange (?!), and was long and narrow including its head, I thought it probably was a non-venomous snake IF it was a snake and not a rope or toy. So I tossed some pebbles at it to make it move - no movement. I finally reached down (keeping my dog behind me safe from harm) and touched it -- it was soft, and then I noticed that the head and upper area started moving -- away from me... So I took my dog home and grabbed my camera. The snake had moved near a bush and had hidden its head in the leaves, but I could see the rest of it against the granite ground cover. Went home with the photos to try to ID it, but not sure what it is, and with the increase in worldwide snake trade, there's no guarantee that it is an Arizona snake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snake-park_1.jpg (90.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Snake-closeup.jpg (90.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 05-19-2010, 06:57 PM

i'd say it's a rat or corn snake. take a look at 'snakes' under google images?
Old 05-19-2010, 08:07 PM

Quote:
i'd say it's a rat or corn snake. take a look at 'snakes' under google images?
I looked at several sites for ID'ing snakes - in Arizona and other locations. There are images of corn snakes that look close, but not exactly. If anyone puts up a sign looking for their "Lost corn snake", then I'll be sure.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:09 AM

Quote:
I looked at several sites for ID'ing snakes - in Arizona and other locations. There are images of corn snakes that look close, but not exactly. If anyone puts up a sign looking for their "Lost corn snake", then I'll be sure.
no expert here at all but i would say corn snake,
C.J. love your instinct "run for the camera" ( I would of had to scrape hubby up of the pavement, he dislikes snakes big time, (we dont have many here ) but after getting the camera of course )
Old 05-20-2010, 10:47 PM

Quote:
"run for the camera"
i wear mine on my belt now
Old 05-23-2010, 03:40 PM

New hair for her.

Edit(24.5):
Canon 40D @ 1/125, ISO100
Canon 50mm/f1.4 @ f4.0
Elinchrom bxri500 with white foam to background
Magnum reflector in front angled downwards
Tri-grip reflector with white/silver cover about belly height.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_3428.jpg (44.4 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Overdoze; 05-24-2010 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 05-25-2010, 07:11 PM

some pics shot in the last few days. the turtle was out sunning himself after the flood waters have gone down a lot. the deer were out in back about 200 to 250 yards away... tough to hold the camera steady enough for those. and, the thistle was along one of the farm roads looking away from the fields, just sitting there by itself waiting for me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1104-1-k-1rp.jpg (197.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1078-1-k-1rp.jpg (193.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1128-1-k-1rp.jpg (190.2 KB, 13 views)
Old 05-26-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
the thistle was along one of the farm roads looking away from the fields, just sitting there by itself waiting for me
Wow, Craig. I love the angle for this. I thought it was some kind of exotic sunflower. really neat shot!
Old 05-26-2010, 07:38 PM

thank you! you just made my day
Old 05-26-2010, 10:34 PM

Pelle-putting the eyes in the shadows like that is really interesting
CJ-eek! You touched it!!!
Overdoze-Now I'm very curious what the SOOC hair looked like - I can't imagine it being any other way
Craig-nice of the deer to pose for you out in the open like that :-) That thistle is eye catching - doesn't look the same as the ones around here. Great job on capturing the turtle - did you stumble upon it or were you stalking er I mean looking for it? I can tell none of the wildlife in your vicinity is safe from being shot by you with your new camera on your belt.

Believe me. I just climbed the local church tower with two (!) cameras weighing me down.

I'm trying to figure out how to make the ground look more convincingly real in the composite of DS.

- Nancy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zipline64k.jpg (65.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg grotekerknaardenhdr95k.jpg (150.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 PM

hi nancy,

the deer come out most every evening. they stay hidden pretty much during the day. but they're definitely shy and have excellent eyesight. they generally catch me sneaking out to take their picture pretty quickly. sometimes they'll let me and sometimes they'll dodge back into the woods.

i found some more thistles today. the bees were having a party.

and the turtle i stumbled upon. he had a buddy with him, but the buddy jumped into the water as i got close.

explain the composite and what is DS?

gorgeous church. nice shot
Old 05-28-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
explain the composite and what is DS?
I guess I was trying to do too many clone things at once. Since I had the camera on high speed burst and pivoted ... it's not the same as various tripod shots with DS in different spots in the same frame.

DS=dear son
Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 PM

ah, dear son. ok

wait, you said composite. i had to look again. all the same boy... i'm gettin slow in my old age so, what do you consider is wrong with the ground? looks fine to me.
Old 05-29-2010, 09:20 PM

took this at the local bank a few days ago. very fragrant too. not sure what they're called.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1061-1-k-1rp.jpg (191.0 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-03-2010, 03:19 PM

I shot Anna on location and tried to frame her a little with some out of focus plants.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg between_the_green_6454_bw_600.jpg (87.9 KB, 18 views)
Old 06-03-2010, 10:52 PM

i'd have framed her a little differently, but good idea. the blur across her chest is what i'd have left out, btw
Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 AM

Just thought I'd share this picture of a crab spider (I believe that's what it is) eating a bee on one of our clematis flowers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crab-Spider_100k.jpg (99.7 KB, 23 views)
Old 06-06-2010, 12:37 PM

Wow, thats different. Great capture, never seen anything liket it. Good posing from both =)
Old 06-06-2010, 11:12 PM

indeed, james, nice capture. whenever i try to get bees to pose for me they're always just...well, busy as bees and harder to get into focus than a two year old. so, kudos on that one!
Old 06-17-2010, 02:51 PM

Shame that you cant pick up on how funny this was !

it took him about a hour of looking this way, then that trying to work out how to get the seed

then getting the balance just right using the top wire to stop him going all the way over

we usually get one a year who work out how to get the seed, will have to keep a eye out to see if he remembers tomorrow or the next day

And yes i think it was a man, i know i wont have to explain why to the ladies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seed.jpg (90.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg upside-down.jpg (84.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg updown.jpg (92.3 KB, 22 views)
Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 PM

This is what I was up to today, at our local fire department running around with a camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg smFirehall01.jpg (92.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg smFireTruck01.jpg (90.9 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg smFiretruck04.jpg (88.0 KB, 20 views)
Old 06-19-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Penner View Post
Just thought I'd share this picture of a crab spider (I believe that's what it is) eating a bee on one of our clematis flowers.
I thoroughly enjoy this picture, even though I thoroughly dislike spiders.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
...it took him about a hour of looking this way, then that trying to work out how to get the seed then getting the balance just right using the top wire to stop him going all the way over
Palms, you stayed with it all that time?! Good for you - I am impressed with animals abilities to figure things out. You captured his success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RooB View Post
This is what I was up to today, at our local fire department running around with a camera.
RooB - cool ! Love the comparison between the old model equipment and the modern. Good images, but you omitted those cute firemen!
Old 06-20-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Palms, you stayed with it all that time?! Good for you - I am impressed with animals abilities to figure things out. You captured his success.

Thank you C.J. it was hard work sat in the garden in the sun, i had to have a cup of coffee and some biscuits to cope

A bird i have given up on trying to snap today is the swallow they are super fast and i end up with a tiny dot ! !

Palms
Old 06-20-2010, 05:51 PM

Quote:
A bird i have given up on trying to snap today is the swallow they are super fast and i end up with a tiny dot !
Palms
They are FAST; doves are easier - they just like to walk around looking for seeds... Cactus wrens are easier also - they are cheeky and like to hang around to scold you for coming near them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhitewingDoves-sm.jpg (83.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Cactus-Wren-sm.jpg (95.8 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-20-2010, 07:35 PM
Patron

That wren looks p_ _ _ I mean angry at the photographer
Old 06-20-2010, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach View Post
That wren looks p_ _ _ I mean angry at the photographer
You should have heard her - sounded even worse than her look. My dog and I were on the sidewalk, so we weren't intruding into her nesting area, but wrens are very territorial and protective - they scold my cats very loudly if they go out in the back yard. But they don't divebomb like the mockingbirds. I've ducked a few times to avoid a mocker's "attack". There used to be a mocker who would dive at a neighbor's cat every time the cat went outside. The cat ignored the bird, and it was fun to watch - from a distance.

I'm trying to get closer to a baby bunny that is living in the park. He's very aware and runs at the hint of danger, thank goodness, but I'm hoping to get a bit closer with my telephoto. I did manage to get his ears backlit - they glow in the sun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bunny-sm.jpg (93.8 KB, 13 views)
Old 06-21-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
And yes i think it was a man, i know i wont have to explain why to the ladies
wait. what? are you saying that ladies wouldnt be clever enough to figure this out. i think if i were a lady that i'd be offended those are great shots, palms

roob, how'd you get that effect? surely that's not straight out of the camera. very nice, btw.

love that second one in #187 post, cj

awww, a bunny
Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 PM

these thistles kinda fascinate me, specially when the bees are around.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1221-1-k-1b-rp.jpg (173.7 KB, 17 views)
Old 06-22-2010, 04:15 AM

C.J. great rabbit shot hopefully you will get a closer one

Craig i am with you thistles are fascinating

palms
Old 06-23-2010, 05:05 AM
Patron

I took this photo yesterday on Port Washington Wisconsin's upper park. A nice view of the harbor on Lake Michigan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PortHarbor.jpg (192.8 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 AM

Hi
This is my first post here ! This is what I did yesterday for client

summergirl
Old 06-23-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
these thistles kinda fascinate me, specially when the bees are around.
Really like your shot, Craig - I love the look of thistles, and you have really isolated it and the bee well.

Quote:
C.J. great rabbit shot hopefully you will get a closer one
Thanks, Palms - I'm hoping !

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbach View Post
I took this photo yesterday on Port Washington Wisconsin's upper park. A nice view of the harbor on Lake Michigan
I live in the desert, and all that water looks SO cool and lovely - thanks for the drink, philbach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olinn View Post
Hi
This is my first post here ! This is what I did yesterday for client
summergirl
Nice creation! Lovely image and effects. How did you do that, olinn (if you're willing to give any pointers)?

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 06-23-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Patron

Olin an interesting photo and effect.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:25 PM

Thank you guys, it was litle bit of work . I had the dress solo, with the girl, took some water-splash pictures, select the water and drops, overlayed the copy of the dress on top of the water selection, invert the selection and delete-the rest of the dress , then it was just playing with colors, masking, adding some motion blur effect and so on, and so on. Hope you understand my english/Icelandic steps

One question back to you, how do you display thums in the thread, not just links like mine ?

Ólinn
Old 06-23-2010, 07:40 PM
Patron

http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/ima...ads-posts.html
This link should show you how to post images directly on this site.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:01 PM

Philbach gave you the instruction link, but I noticed that the linked post is so old that everything looks a bit different now, so I added an image that shows where the "manage attachments" bar is now. Olinn, scrolling down to the "manage attachments" bar is the only hard part - then just click on it and browse your hard drive as usual for the photo you want to upload - 100kb limit.

Iceland, hmm. Did you get photos of your volcano?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RPro-attachment.jpg (68.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 06-24-2010, 06:48 AM

Thank you very much. Yes did get some pictures of the Volcano I will uplod them later today, thougt maybe I would get some angry-my-flight-was-cancel post if I did But I will post here , I think anyone with a camera in Iceland went there, so maybe it has become cliché here in Iceland!
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography