RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:28 PM

Re: Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

awww, thankers
Old 09-17-2010, 01:34 PM

I took some tips from this blog today to try out ( well till it got too technical )
and this is the outcome, i used slightly to heavy a paper so will have to find some other out, and just as i set it up the sun went in ! ! ! and then the cat ate my flower ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

but i think i will try again soon

palms
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fern-flower.jpg (86.0 KB, 23 views)
Old 09-17-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms1 View Post
I took some tips from this blog today to try out ( well till it got too technical )
and this is the outcome, i used slightly to heavy a paper so will have to find some other out, and just as i set it up the sun went in ! ! ! and then the cat ate my flower ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

but i think i will try again soon palms
Lovely, Palms!! The quality of the diffused light thru the petals is especially lovely on those in the top 2/3rds of the image, and maybe just a little darker at the bottom edge (might be me). I hope you do shoot some more since it works well for you... except when Mr Peeps is around... < 0\p
< 0/l
Old 09-17-2010, 11:46 PM

very nice, palms, but if the cat ate the flower, how did you get the shot?
Old 09-18-2010, 02:00 AM
Patron

Quote:
...and then the cat ate my flower!...
And yet they get all precious about the food they are supposed to eat- go figure! Your flowers are exquisite though Palms, I think you've done a beautiful job there.
CJ- I raise orphan doves and pigeons, so it goes without saying I think your little fella is adorable heee.
Andy- Cute little girl you have there! You've done a superb job with the colours in that shot- looooove that soft green. I don't feel that the upper latch part of the door is too distracting...for me at least I rather like that detail, I found the black (cable?) thingie in the top right to be the main distraction.
Nancy- I always love to see the results of your "farting around". Good call on the out-of-focus lantern the effect of the sunset really makes that image- dreamy abstract.

I just got myself a new camera. I caved in and finally retired my old film SLRs in favour of a Canon 550D with a 55-250mm lens and I've gotta say I am already noticing a few things I'll have to relearn I guess with regards to my shooting habits- exposure setup/management for one and the freakin' auto focus that I guess I'll have to get comfortable with to get that pin sharp focus in shallow DOF shots that I love, and all the different priority settings...never had any of that before- my film SLRs were mostly manual affairs and my focus er... I went though a lot of film LOL! Down the track I plan to invest in a couple decent prime lenses, especially for macro work.
Anyhoo, just out of the box and to my absolute glee my first victims are a trio of Rainbow Lorikeets, but a small sample of the few different types of stupidly colourful birds that come to my yard for a free feed.
I'm chuffed at how they turned out- I used a polarizing filter on my lens to kill much of the glare and that did a lovely job with the colour overall so post the images only really needed some exposure tweeking and cropping. Now I'm eagerly waiting for next lot of "practice targets" to fly in....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lorikeets1_web.jpg (194.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg lorikeets2_web.jpg (198.3 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-18-2010, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
very nice, palms, but if the cat ate the flower, how did you get the shot?
did you see a cyclamen shot ?
Old 09-18-2010, 07:20 AM

Thank you C.J. i do have some more flowers lined up just waiting for the sun to come out ( and peeps to go to sleep)

Littlecoo
you have hit the nail on the head about cats ! ! !

love your birds, wished something that colourful would come into my backyard ( plus it would distract peeps some )

Palms
Old 09-18-2010, 09:36 PM

wow, those are gorgeous, littlecoo!

you'll like digital. most decent digital slr's will allow for manual use. even my little kodak 981z has manual controls for just about everything, focus, aperture, f-stop and so on. you may have to download a manual in order to find everything, though

Quote:
did you see a cyclamen shot ?
ok, ya lost me. what is 'cyclamen'?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlecoo View Post
... I caved in and finally retired my old film SLRs in favour of a Canon 550D with a 55-250mm lens and I've gotta say I am already noticing a few things I'll have to relearn ... the freakin' auto focus that I guess I'll have to get comfortable with to get that pin sharp focus in shallow DOF shots that I love, ..my film SLRs were mostly manual affairs and my focus er...to my absolute glee my first victims are a trio of Rainbow Lorikeets, but a small sample of the few different types of stupidly colourful birds that come to my yard for a free feed.
I'm chuffed at how they turned out- I used a polarizing filter on my lens to kill much of the glare and that did a lovely job with the colour overall ...Now I'm eagerly waiting for next lot of "practice targets" to fly in....
Yum! I'd say that you hit that focus very well, and I love that DOF. You can still shoot manual all you want - only now you can see how great they are a bit sooner, and get "chuffed" sooner. I've never had Rainbow Lorikeets in my yard (Palms - our cats probably make that a bit unlikely), and I'm looking forward also to the next lot of "practice targets" that fly into your yard. I think you're going to enjoy seeing those results right after you shoot them, and the room in your fridge now that you don't have to keep your film cool.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post

ok, ya lost me. what is 'cyclamen'?
a flower ! ( one peeps ate )
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography