RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 03:20 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Great Gary! Question: Are the birds popped in after the fact and is the water from a plug-in (Flood or similar)? I ask because these seem almost too perfect! ;-)
Old 02-27-2011, 04:06 PM

Smile Re: Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Yes Plugsn'pixels,
it's a 3 part composite, the background taken with a wide-angle to get the spread of the sky and mountains in focus, the birds tracked with a 70x300 at the same spot retaining white balance and sun angle and the Flaming Pear flood filter used to cover clutter in the foreground.
I used the same technique on Tarifa Sunset i attached here compositing not only the birds and the foreground (Painter eleven image hose) but also a tree i had on a transparent background.
Have been recently honing retouching skills i learn from here, but darn well have to remember to make it look less perfect lol :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tarifa_sunset_rp.jpg (99.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Patron

See, I know my plug-ins ;-).

This latest work is gorgeous. It can also be fun to run the finished comp through Painter or PostworkShop Pro for even more artsiness.

It's also possible to create such scenes as this last one from scratch on the computer using Vue (etc.). But I bet you're enjoying being outdoors in Spain even more!
Old 02-27-2011, 04:22 PM

Ha ha -
gosh yes i love to get out with the camera otherwise i could spend an eternity on the computer with Painter / CS5 etc.
Question: is there a more flexible flood filter than Flaming Pear, i want to check out Bryce - have you tried that one?
I will also look at 'Vue' because i like the idea of composing an image as you would on a blank canvas,
regards,
Gary..
Old 02-27-2011, 04:27 PM

I just checked out the 'cloudscapes' on 'Vue' - very impressive and definitely i'm going to get this software - thanks for pointing me in that direction :-)
Old 02-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Patron

You're welcome!

In my upcoming ezine I will show two more Cloudscape products, but you may have found them already on his site.

Bryce is not really a plug-in, but a full app. But you'd probably be better off getting Vue; it's less of a toy ;-).

I think Flood may be the best water surface plug-in thus far, but AKVIS offers a NatureArt plug-in that might also be of interest. (I don't list Flood or other Flaming Pear products on my site because I have had trouble in the past getting the developer to reply to me. I will have to try again.)
Old 02-27-2011, 10:48 PM

thanks, phil i hadnt even noticed the reflections till you pointed them out and yes, that's the big sliding glass door giving light to that shot.

thanks, palms yes, several folks have remarked that he's a good looking cat and i agree. now, if i could just get him to chase mice and earn his keep!

very dramatic, plugs! i like it

my cat's prettier, gary good shot
i like that set, though the first is a bit over saturated. but the second is interesting in that you have one element, the sky, which really shldnt be the normal focus, overpowering the land elements, which probably shld be the focus, so it makes it quite interesting to have that twist to it. and the third is just great. good composition and balance and you always have good grain/quality to your pics. the fourth i dont like as well as the third, but still a good shot... a bit too much focus on the bird and i think this would have been better with the aspect ratio being a landscape type rather than a portrait type. still, great colors and quality of image!
and the red sky one is really quite good. like that one a lot!

ah me, do i have to keep reminding you gents about filter forge? we have several flood and water filters, several very good sky/cloud filters, too! and, if you tickle the authors a bit you'll find some even better stuff unpublished as yet. i've got a great pastel sky filter and another storm sky filter and some of my buds over there are hoarding some really good stuff pending the company doing some more incentives. custom filters are not out of the question either (mostly by the other guys, but i might do one or two if they're in my range of subjects )
Old 02-27-2011, 11:04 PM
Patron

Always good to be reminded, Craig!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:15 PM

hehe. i actually dont know which is better, plugs. i've used 'Flood' too. it was one of my first plugins ever. loved it. and it does do a very good job!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:23 PM
Patron

What particular FF presets do you recommend for nature effects?
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography