RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 02:20 PM

Re: Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Steve i love the butterfly's they are gorgeous ( and pretty nifty with the flies in flight on the one) the first one would make a super painting

and great colours on the (not sure of this) damsel fly very nice work

Palms
Old 05-22-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by palms View Post
Steve i love the butterfly's they are gorgeous ( and pretty nifty with the flies in flight on the one) the first one would make a super painting

and great colours on the (not sure of this) damsel fly very nice work

Palms
Hey thanks Palms!

As for the flies they just happened by. I was surprised to see them when I loaded the pics on the PC.

The Damsel Fly name probably is as correct as any. Here in the South US we grew up calling them Mosquito Hawks. They are great mosquito eaters. Another name is Dragon Fly, so who is to say?

Steve C.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:37 AM

I finally got the nerve to post a couple of shots from my new camera. I'm still using auto mode. Too much to learn to try other options, yet. These are both cropped because I can't get as close as I would like. Which makes me wonder, how much cropping is too much?

Shari
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fly crop (Custom).jpg (90.0 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg bachelor button (Custom) (Large).jpg (74.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 05-23-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Conway View Post
Hey thanks Palms!
The Damsel Fly name probably is as correct as any. Here in the South US we grew up calling them Mosquito Hawks. They are great mosquito eaters. Another name is Dragon Fly, so who is to say?

Steve C.
What you have there is a dragonfly. When at rest, most dragonflies hold their wings outspread; most damselflies keep theirs pressed together along their backs, as in the photo, and are generally smaller than dragonflies.

There will be a quiz on Friday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue-damselfly.jpg (10.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-23-2011, 02:21 PM

Steve, love the bee - the close-up shows great detail on the hairs and he looks almost "pettable". I admire your dragonfly because I've missed so many shots of them over the years since they dart off just as I get set with framing and focus. Lovely flubberbys also - they are such wonderfully beautiful peaceful creatures.

dkcoats - "There will be a quiz on Friday."
One of the truly great parts of photography is that each subject can become a new chapter in our education if we so choose. I've always called them dragonflies - without noticing whether their wings ever folded, so it's good to get a tip on ID'ing our subjects.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharynideas View Post
I finally got the nerve to post a couple of shots from my new camera. I'm still using auto mode. Too much to learn to try other options, yet. These are both cropped because I can't get as close as I would like. Which makes me wonder, how much cropping is too much?

Shari
Shari - you got closer to the fly than I have with a lens. Since you mentioned cropping a lot, I'm guessing that you don't have a macro lens or a close-up attachment, so good job getting that close with your regular lens. You'll see when you have cropped too much since the image artifacts will degrade the image too much to enjoy. Getting a macro lens or close-up attachment would be a good idea IF you plan on shooting little critters a lot or getting close-ups of flowers - otherwise, just keep shooting.

Which camera/lens combo did you end up choosing? I know it's hard when there are so many choices and lots of them cost quite a bit.
Old 05-23-2011, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz View Post
Which camera/lens combo did you end up choosing? I know it's hard when there are so many choices and lots of them cost quite a bit.
CJ, I finally decided on a Nikon D3100 with a AF-S Nikkor 18-55 mm kit lens.
I picked Nikon because I have an older telephoto lens which will fit it if I ever get to the point where I'm brave enough to try it. I picked the D3100 because I am such an amateur and it is supposed to be easy to use. I like it a lot but I really have so much to learn...
Someday I'd like to get an automatic telephoto, but that's down the road a ways.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:33 AM

Came across another 'Lady' yesterday.
Shari you can always try extension tubes for your existing lens, way cheaper than a macro :-)

regards,
Gary..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LadyBird Reflection RP.jpg (83.1 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Algarve Images; 05-24-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-24-2011, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz View Post
Steve, love the bee - the close-up shows great detail on the hairs and he looks almost "pettable". I admire your dragonfly because I've missed so many shots of them over the years since they dart off just as I get set with framing and focus. Lovely flubberbys also - they are such wonderfully beautiful peaceful creatures.

dkcoats - "There will be a quiz on Friday."
One of the truly great parts of photography is that each subject can become a new chapter in our education if we so choose. I've always called them dragonflies - without noticing whether their wings ever folded, so it's good to get a tip on ID'ing our subjects.
Many thanks CJ. I'll admit they were fun shots to make. Yes Bumble bees are kinda slow moving, at least this one was and gave me a real chance at getting a shot of him.

DK is correct re. the difference between the Dragon..& Damsel fly. I had never heard them called Damsel flies or Damselflies. So in checking just what the heck the preferred name was I came upon the difference that DK pointed out.

Don't know how I survived without the Internet for so many years. 8-)

As for the Dragonfly, Mosquito Hawk, or whatever...I have had them light on my hands while sitting outside in the summer time. Interesting creatures.

Steve C.

Last edited by Steve Conway; 05-24-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:02 PM

Not exactly today but only last Thursday, at Beamish open air museum, raw from camera.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Beamish-5.jpg (99.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Beamish-4.jpg (97.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Beamish-3.jpg (99.0 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Beamish-2.jpg (99.9 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Beamish-1.jpg (98.8 KB, 13 views)
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography