RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 07:45 PM

Re: Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Yep cheers Craig - i don't like the clinical look of a lot of macro's so i'm trying to introduce different elements for contrast etc..
Old 07-24-2011, 10:01 PM

you're doing a great job

here's one of my own. this is a 17 year cicada. they came out in full this year. they were LOUD! their 'singing' could be heard indoors with the air conditioning going. outdoors, it sounded much like the old power lines when they would hum loudly. cute little critters, no?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cicada-june-2011-psp-1-k-1-rp.jpg (191.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-25-2011, 04:21 AM

They are colorful little things Craig, i hear them every night, but i never get so close to photograph one just yet..
It's a good shot - minor point is the background is a little busy. I just submitted one of mine to 1x.com for screening and the first critique i had was i should have got my whole bug in focus ie: focus stacking 10 shots or so while the bug sits there for an hour motionless lol, as if that's going to happen ha ha
How do you know it's 17 years old or am i just being stupid after waking up 10 minutes ago :-))))
Old 07-28-2011, 12:18 AM

yeah, the background is a bit busy. i just shoots em where they be. i could edit some of that out or make it even more blurred, but i think the little guy stands out enough that i'm not going to bother this time. but i do thank you for the feedback.

oh, is that what focus stacking is, taking multiple shots of the same thing with each one focusing in a slightly different place? i saw you use that phrase in the gallery and didnt understand what it was. so, you just edit all these 'stacked' images into one to get the full focus on the bug. cool. god help ya if the sucker moves.

there are several different kinds of cicadas around here. there's a 17 year and a 13 year and i'm thinking one more, but not sure. i just happen to know that this one is the 17 year because it's been 17 years since he was seen. their life cycle is 17 years. the stage the picture is of is the fully mature bug. it dies shortly after this and we had a lot of dead protein lying around here after a while. i also know it's the 17 year kind because others were talking about it, as well. i dont know if there are any distinctive marks that set it off from the other types. i just know this is the 17 year variety because i havent seen these buggers in 17 years and others said the same thing real scientific, eh?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:52 AM

Yep that's what focus stacking is, best done on a "rail" and not a tripod - something i need to invest in at some stage.
I disagree with the critics that it's always necessary, i like to see a gradual blur in the DOF for depth sometimes.
Interesting stuff about the Cicada's i didn't realize they had such a long life span :-)
Old 07-28-2011, 03:03 AM

Smile Re: Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

Just a quicky from the other day i processed this morning..
I like the head on view, but can't make my mind up about the leaf behind which i may remove in post if i ever have time - only one exposure on this as he didn't stay put too long..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Eye to Eye RP.jpg (88.4 KB, 16 views)
Old 07-29-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algarve Images View Post
...I like the head on view, but can't make my mind up about the leaf behind which i may remove in post if i ever have time - only one exposure on this as he didn't stay put too long..
IF the leaf you're talking about is the blurred green part of the background, I'd vote for removal just to reduce competition with his body/body color, but if the leaf is the purple part behind him (don't know if he's on a leaf or a petal), I like it. I thought he looked dead in your last one (stuck on in place), so I'm glad to hear he didn't "stay put" and is hopefully alive. He is a cute model. I find mantids to be interesting to look at, but they still bring an almost instinctive chill to my backbone, whereas this little guy just makes me smile.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Swartz View Post
IF the leaf you're talking about is the blurred green part of the background, I'd vote for removal just to reduce competition with his body/body color, but if the leaf is the purple part behind him (don't know if he's on a leaf or a petal), I like it. He is a cute model. backbone, this little guy just makes me smile.
i second C.J.'s opinion
Old 07-29-2011, 03:39 PM

i'd remove the purple stalk/leaf behind him. it's superfluous and not blurred enough to be innocuous. add in a nice, dull brown or something like what's next to the leaf on the left or the dulled green on the right..
Old 07-29-2011, 08:11 PM

Smile Re: Photographed TODAY (or Processed today) con't

I think it is more green and brown foliage, anyways i got bored with that one for the moment as it was the last day of a weekly challenge for table top photography, i shot another today - however the bug when i found him on my car had only one back leg so i had to reverse composite two different stances to fill the frame and hide the back hopping leg, i added a coffee and blue gradient - so what i thought would take ten minutes or so actually took a few hours for that challenge, but i really enjoy this stuff :-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg You look like me! RP.jpg (85.3 KB, 10 views)
Closed Thread

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography