RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

How to get hair flying in head shot?

Old 10-16-2009, 12:38 PM

How to get hair flying in head shot?

I have seen lot of photographers/retouchers website where the lady has her hair flying and not straight down. Seems like she is standing front of a powerful fan that's blowing away her hair.
How do you guys do this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2009, 01:16 PM

Re: How to get hair flying in head shot?

Most of the time is done with a, well, a fan or multiple fans...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISeek View Post
I have seen lot of photographers/retouchers website where the lady has her hair flying and not straight down. Seems like she is standing front of a powerful fan that's blowing away her hair.
How do you guys do this?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-16-2009, 02:46 PM

Someone holding a hair dryer and directing the way the hair blows is best.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2009, 03:37 PM

On the cheep, a hair dryer works great, have the person holding the hair dryer aim it from below the model (aiming it from the side can cause the hair to fly in front of the face blocking it.) If you don't need her feet in the shot, a stylist could lay down right in front of the model aiming it up at her. Try different angles and have the person really moving the hair dryer around.

I've also seen it done with a large reflector card that you just fan the model with. There's also very expensive wind machines that I heard work quite well.

To make it freeze and not look blurry... you'll need to shoot at 500 sec or use strobes... but even strobes might not capture the action depending on the flash duration. I've shot motion with speedatron lights on power packs and it was a nightmare, the flash duration is really slow.... I've also shot with more expensive profoto lights and was very successful at stopping motion. You can obviously take parts of hair from one photo in the shoot and add it to another photo where the expression and pose are great but the hair is a miss. Do a little research on flash duration and stopping motion.

You can work around slow flash duration by shooting with a high shutter speed (500/sec) but you wont be able to do this with your standard SLR because the shutter will not work with the flash (flash synch stops around 125 or 250 for SLRs), you'll need something with a leaf shutter (hasselblad or 4x5) to shoot with that fast of a shutter speed. And if you shoot fast with a leaf shutter, you'll lose some exposure so your meter reading will be a bit off. You can determine how much fall of there is by first shooting a color checker chart at a normal speed (125th/sec) and then another at the faster action stopping speed (500th/sec) and then use lightroom/captureone measuring the RGB numbers of the grey patch and upping the exposure to see how many stops it takes to get the second shot to match the first one, then you adjust accordingly with the camera's aperture. Sorry, might be a little more detailed than what you wanted - just trying to get you past the frustrations I've had in the past.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2009, 07:53 PM

This works great.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=97762
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-18-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDphoto View Post
or if you have a lot of money burning a hole in your pocket, you could get the expensive one http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...d_Machine.html

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2009, 03:52 AM

My god! 925 bucks for a fan! lol
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2009, 05:18 PM

I agree! That's a lot of money.
And thanks Andrew for a detailed reply.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISeek View Post
I agree! That's a lot of money.
And thanks Andrew for a detailed reply.
No problem, I get fed up with quick replies that leave you frustrated when you try them out and they aren't as easy as people would have you believe they are, thus the detail.

Yeah it's a lot of money, but a lot of people aren't necessarily buying these things, they're paying to rent them from a studio or rental company and they are transferring this cost onto their client who needs the look and is on a very time sensitive schedule that might not allow for error or inefficiency.

Also, it can get weird in the world of photo because somethings seem like the have a higher price tag just because they are associated with photography (I've seen carts labeled for photo equipment cost twice as much as the same brand and model as carts that were being sold on a non-photo site) But on the other hand I've seen it go the opposite way where you really do get what you pay for (those Canon L lenses really do cost that much for a reason.)

The expensive wind machine might actually be worth it... but I've never used it so I'm not for sure. But I have heard great things about it.
If you are paying hourly for studio space, stylists, models, and make up people (or your client is paying for them with a very large budget for a major ad campaign) then the time you can save by using quality equipment can be very important, as opposed to having to deal with the failure of less reliable equipment.

So always think of it as having all of your i's dotted an your t's crossed and have a plan b and plan c and plan d. Because if you get a job that has months of research done by a ad agency and lots of pre planning done and all of the sudden the one hair dryer you brought breaks (or your stylist forgot to bring it) then what do you do? You have a team of people (all being paid a lot of money by the hour) looking at you for the answers. All of the sudden that hour you spend sending someone to target to get a hairdryer becomes a huge dent in your day as well as your wallet. And all of the sudden -> the 35 dollars you DIDN'T spend renting the $1,200 fan looks like a small 35 dollar mistake you'll never make again (seriously I'm not kidding when I say it's only 35 dollars for a days rental of that 1,200 dollar fan, I can show you the rental price list.)

35 dollars is not that huge of a line item on a major ad budget. USE THE FANCY FAN!!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydercam View Post
My god! 925 bucks for a fan! lol
Per-day rental can be as low as 35 dollars though, not too bad in the whole scheme of things (of course you'll need insurance to cover the whole cost, or a deposit.)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography