RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Help needed: Lighting Set ups for this Photo

Old 11-08-2009, 03:15 AM

Help needed: Lighting Set ups for this Photo

Hello there,

I am wondering what are the possible lighting set ups for this photo (attached). If anyone could de-construct some possible lights used, how the angles were positioned, etc. that would be very much appreciated! (I guess this helps a lot of people out there as well as we get to learn it together!)

I'm guessing the lens used in this photo may be a 70-200 mm lens (either Nikon or Canon).

Thanks!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RobHoward-RichmondCentre(100k).jpg (80.8 KB, 198 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 03:49 AM

Re: Help needed: Lighting Set ups for this Photo

light source flashes into a diffuser/umbrella on the upper left side (45 degrees perhaps)
all very easy
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-08-2009, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gng11 View Post
Hello there,

I am wondering what are the possible lighting set ups for this photo (attached). If anyone could de-construct some possible lights used, how the angles were positioned, etc. that would be very much appreciated! (I guess this helps a lot of people out there as well as we get to learn it together!)

I'm guessing the lens used in this photo may be a 70-200 mm lens (either Nikon or Canon).

Thanks!!!!!
Main light: softbox/umbrella at 45 degree upper left... with a white reflector on the right of the person really close to him. Back ground could be two more lights on grey, but probably just a white sweep that is catching the light from your main light (turns out grey because the light is darker by the time it reaches the sweep.)

You have them sit down on a stool and stand on a step ladder to get an angle down on them or have them rest their elbow on their knee (just make sure they have proper posture.)

If they will be wearing glasses you have to be careful to put your light off to the side more than in front or else you'll get direct reflections of the light in the glasses. Just google "family of angles, photography" if the direct reflections doesn't make sense to you.

The best way is just to set it up with plenty of time before hand so you can tweak it to where you want it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-17-2009, 04:48 AM

Cool! Thanks!! I'll definitely give it a shot when I can (currently no access to a studio yet... ).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2009, 06:39 PM

As mentioned above, the flash was 45degrees~ camera left. I believe the diffuser used was a shoot-through umbrella as well; because the light is quite soft/evenly lit and with a shoot-through umbrella the light could spread easier onto a reflector or even a wall to the right of the subject.

You can view the exif data of the image to view the settings used, and based on this I would say the flash was used on low power as well hence the fast aperture.

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III

Image Date: 2009:02:20 08:56:37
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 190.0mm
CCD Width: 4.50mm
Exposure Time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
Aperture: f/3.5
ISO equiv: 100

White Balance: Manual
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
Photographer: Alfred Meikleham
Copyright: All Rights Reserved.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2009, 10:43 PM

WOW that's even better! Thanks for sharing the tips! You just made my day. :P Haha.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Alright I got a new photo for you guys to help me deconstruct. Anybody know how the lighting is possibly done for this high key picture? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg _image_content.jpeg (48.9 KB, 70 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-27-2010, 06:54 PM

Large softbox positioned above the model plus two white polyboards either sides, close to the model. That's my guess...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2010, 10:37 PM

Judging by the defined rim of shadow in the tops of the eyes, coupled with lack of catchlight in the eyes and the shadow under the nose, my guess is it's a beauty dish high and frontal as the key light. I'd expect a couple of softboxes/striplights on either side to give the even overall fill light. And of course, a pair of striplights on the background. At least, that's the way I'd light it. (I'd also add a softbox or reflector below camera lens hight and angled up to fill in that shadow under the nose and add a catchlight in the eyes - that lack of a catchlight I find rather disconcerting.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 PM

Thanks Frank! Anyone else might want to add or take an alternate guess?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography