RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Web Site Hosting for Fashion Photographers??

Old 03-04-2010, 05:18 PM

Web Site Hosting for Fashion Photographers??

I am looking for a web site hosting place that is easy to upload images without me programming flash or HTML for days. Something similar to this:

http://www.gavinoneill.com

Any advice will be appreciate it.

Thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-05-2010, 12:21 PM

Re: Web Site Hosting for Fashion Photographers??

I read your post and I think you are asking two different questions:
  • One having to do with hosting compannies and the mechanism each uses to upload content to the sites
    and
  • One having to do with the code used to create the web site itself: flash or not, HTML or not etc.
The first question is easy to answer: 99% of the host companies use FTP as the uploading mechanism. It is very simple to use FTP. If you do an internet search for FTP client you will find many solutions with detailed instructions on how to use them.

The second question is a little more problematic. The use of flash or plain html depends of the level of interactivity you would like in you site. You could purchase a commercial site template and then customize it to meet your needs. It has the advantage of being mostly built but you lose the "uniqeness" that custom code would have.

I looked at Gavin O'Neil's web site and it appears to have been made from scratch. It doesn't seem to have come from a commercial template.
You seem to like it's overall look, but if I'm right regarding not coming from a template, then it means that you will have to do the programming yourself or pay someone to do it, to achieve that look

I hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotogen View Post
I am looking for a web site hosting place that is easy to upload images without me programming flash or HTML for days. Something similar to this:

http://www.gavinoneill.com

Any advice will be appreciate it.

Thank you

Last edited by Frank Lopes; 03-05-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2010, 11:06 AM

If you viewsource on that guys site this is the group that built it.

http://www.zerophobic.com/engine.php?home
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-17-2010, 03:27 PM

Biwa,

Thank you very much. It did not occur to me to look at the source You are awsome.
When I go the site, it gives me an error that "A script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player 10 to run slowly. Do you want to abort". When I say yet, nothing works anymore. I guess I am exiting Flash... Are you having the same issue?
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-19-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotogen View Post
Biwa,

Thank you very much. It did not occur to me to look at the source You are awsome.
When I go the site, it gives me an error that "A script in this movie is causing Adobe Flash Player 10 to run slowly. Do you want to abort". When I say yet, nothing works anymore. I guess I am exiting Flash... Are you having the same issue?
Same problem here, flash crashes.
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2010, 04:26 AM

Flash is really a bit hard to configure for a photography site but I hope you would still pursue using this because I think this would give a better impact for your photos. I hired a couple of people to do mine oklahomaweddingstudios.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 03-20-2010, 09:46 AM

Janicee, Awsome web site. I am looking for something much, much simpler than that
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-14-2010, 06:09 PM

Don't forget one thing - the iPhone and iPad will not play flash.That means that you need 2 versions of your site with a selection gateway script - one version in flash and one in QuickTime.

An alternative is to use the javascript JQuery library but that is fairly time consuming if you have a lot of images (as most pro photographers do). This forum uses JQuery to display images, rather than flash. IMHO Flash is on the way out; it's had its day and is being replaced with other technologies.

I'm currently replacing my flash galleries with JAlbum (some skins use flash but most don't) which more easily produces cross-platform galleries.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography