Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Experience in the dark

View Poll Results: How much darkroom experience have you had?
Yes, lots, but b/w only 38 22.09%
Lots of b/w and color 22 12.79%
Lots of color only 2 1.16%
I've done it, but not very much 54 31.40%
Never 56 32.56%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-28-2002, 11:23 PM
It pops back up if someone votes, even if they don't post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Darkroom Class

I'm looking for darkroom class at Austin - Tx. Please let me know.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Darkroom ages

I finally sold my Beseler enlarger and darkroom supplies online back in 1992 when they were gathering dust. At home I did primarily BW and worked in an Expressly Portrait studio where they printed pictures for clients in an hour.

My darkroom career began in the 70's. I loved BW printing and got the chance to take workshops all over California. My favorite photographer at the time was Jerry Uselman. I got the chance to study with John Sextons assisstant to Ansel Adams and learned a lot about fine BW printing. But I'm so enthralled with the capability we have now with digital and Photoshop.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-05-2005, 12:57 PM
I'm no photographer, but I can lay claim to spending much time in a darkroom. I set type on Reels of film for headlines for quite a while. I used a hughe DS Screen Camera (up to 20" x 24".) I made film positives, 1/2tones, combination veloxes, stats, position prints etc. Full time work. Oh yeah, type distortions too, on a circle in perspective, outline, inline blah blah blah the list goes on. I really enjoyed it. Cleaning up graphic arts processors is not too much fun, especially in the winter in New England.
Now I have several frontends (Quark, IndesignCS, DesignStudio etc)for quality typography, and lots of specialty software for type and image processing (Photoshop, Expression, LetrasStudio, Typestry, LivePicture, Freehand, FontStudio etc) a few computers and a drum scanner. I can do more now than I did with a darkroom full of films, contact frames specialty cameras, processors and the like. A drum scanner in the 80's was only for color houses, now you can pick them up for a song, and Linotype Hells, DS Screen, Howteks etc are stable and excellent.

No, I don't miss a darkroom at all. The smell of developer and fix took years off my life and I'm sure years to stop smelling too! I learned so much though.

God Bless,
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2005, 06:28 AM
I started in a custom photo-lab in 1978 as a custom printer , and then started working for RCA and GE as an in house staff photographer in the 80's and 90's. We had a full service lab, color , B/W and E-6. We developed and printed everything we shot. Now that everything is digital ; it is still really nice to print a very large B/W print. I still keep my darkroom ready and print 35mm to 4x5 , but now it is only B/W.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2005, 01:00 PM
I've still got my Jobo CPP2, Beseler 45MXT II Enlarger along with my Minolta 45a color head sitting in a spare room. I did a fair bit of b&w prints but most of the time was spend developing medium format chromes and 4x5 transparencies.

Then I bought a Canon 20D and everything changed.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2005, 01:33 PM
It's always been digital for me!!!

The only time I've ever been in a dark room was during a field placement with my local police service. The crime scene techs did all there own developping at the HQ's lab.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 04:18 AM
I originally learned b&w processing at evening class in the 60s. I then joined the R.A.F. as an air photo operator where I was taught false colour I.R., ultra violet and b&w processing - rolls up to 12" wide and a thousand ft long.
Over the years I have used many cameras from 35mm through 6x6 to large format monorails, and of course the huge aircraft cameras of my R.A.F. days.
Some years ago I taught my children dark room techniques, while I was untill recently recoating plates for my thornton pickard quarter plate camera.
I have now dismantled my darkroom and although I concentrate on digital, I still use my Nikon "film thingy" but always have digital copies of my neg's.

The important thing is that all of these have had a place in my photographic education - I am by no means an expert in any of them, we must remember that without film we would not be where we are now as far as digital is concerned. Yet I honestly believe film is - or will be a thing of history - but never forget history.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 06:58 AM

welcome to RP!

I still use my Nikon "film thingy"
yup, i still have my Canon F1 'film thingy' as well. and my current 'darkroom' involves a film negative scanner and a computer. i never quite made the true darkroom experience despite having cameras most of my life. i tend to envy those that did as i'm normally a 'nuts and bolts' sort of person and enjoy getting into the workings and mechanics of such things.

i would ask you what a 'monorail' camera is and likewise a 'quarter plate' but i'd probably put myself to sleep in trying to understand

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2005, 01:45 PM
Small format camera and Darkroom technique

I took an adult education course called:

Small format camera and Darkroom technique

Part of a BTec here in the UK. At that time I was using a fully manual Pentax MZM.

I now have a Canon 20D (digital slr). I find that I tend to try out more techniques and I take way more photos with it because I am not worried about the cost of film and developing. I need to print more of my images out though!

I recently had my first photo published. A photograph of a zebra taken in Hluhluwe Game Reserve in Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa - my real home.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg zebra.jpg (55.6 KB, 9 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography