RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Lighting equipment query

Old 04-15-2010, 02:48 AM

Lighting equipment query

hi everyone,

i'm on a tight budget lately but i really love to venture studio shots. i wanted to know if the following equipment is enough. i only have 2 studio strobes, 300w each, i also have 2 shoot through umbrella, 1 bounce umbrella, 1 36x24 softbox, barn door with gels and honycomb grid. i know there are lots of people here willing to share their thoughts to a low budget person like me.

with many thanks in advance,
scott
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 AM

Re: Lighting equipment query

yes, you should be OK for the beginning. You can use one head as a main light and second one as a fill light on the model. You can use some additional light for a background - any small flashgun - but you need to find the way how to synchronize them ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeretouch View Post
yes, you should be OK for the beginning. You can use one head as a main light and second one as a fill light on the model. You can use some additional light for a background - any small flashgun - but you need to find the way how to synchronize them ...
thanks creativeretouch, that was very helpful. i guess i need to save more to fund for the 3rd lighting. by the way, i have a large reflector. is it possible to use it to replace the fill light and use the 2nd strobe to light the background?
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-15-2010, 03:33 AM

Look, this is easy - do not think about heads, just about light. You can move them around as you wish. But you need to keep their power in your mind.
If the light from a small flashgun will be strong enough bounce it anywhere you wish. But again - you have to wait a few seconds when it will be charged again.
If the light is not strong enough - just move it closer to your object.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2010, 01:40 AM

If you seriously want to learn about lighting people, I'd seriously recommend joining digital Wedding Forum. Some of the best wedding photographers from around the world frequent the forums and almost all are willing to help newbies and share their experience.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2010, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Look, this is easy - do not think about heads, just about light. You can move them around as you wish. But you need to keep their power in your mind.
If the light from a small flashgun will be strong enough bounce it anywhere you wish. But again - you have to wait a few seconds when it will be charged again.
If the light is not strong enough - just move it closer to your object.
thanks... i'll give it try.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2010, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franko60 View Post
If you seriously want to learn about lighting people, I'd seriously recommend joining digital Wedding Forum. Some of the best wedding photographers from around the world frequent the forums and almost all are willing to help newbies and share their experience.
thank you so much... but it would more helpful if you can provide the link for that forum.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-16-2010, 05:15 AM

I have found a nice tutorial here:

http://www.studiolighting.net/catego...deo-tutorials/
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-17-2010, 07:15 PM

If you have the funds I would also recommend the lighting series by Dean Collins (the original printed books are out of print now, but the series is available on DVD). Dean was truly the master of light. I bought the whole series when I first opened my studio in 1982 and am seriously thinking of buying the DVDs again, just so I have them available.

It appears from your post (and forgive me if I'm wrong) that you have little experience of photographic lighting. I would therefore strongly recommend getting some very good books on lighting. I have many in my library dating from the '70s and '80s (John Freeman produced some great ones also) before worrying too much about what equipment to buy. Frankly, you can learn the principles with 2 or 3 small on-camera type flashes with adapters to allow them to be mounted and fired on stands, preferably with an umbrella adaptor plus some modifiers such as translucent panels, reflector boards, etc. Once you've learned the different types of light, how each light source interacts with other sources, how to calculate exposure and how each type of modifier affects the quality of light, then you're ready to invest in good studio equipment. Learn first, buy later.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-18-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
thanks again for the interminable help, creativeretouch. i really enjoy applying the online tips provided in the site you gave me. you guys rocks!!!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography