RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Rock Art, how to photograph

Old 06-08-2010, 01:56 AM

Lightbulb Rock Art, how to photograph

Hello everyone, I am new to your site and am not sure how it all works. Any way my question is if anybody can advise me on how to best photograph faded rock art. I know there is a technique available to enhance faded, weathered images. (Colours: yellow, red, black & white, invisible for the eye, but with digital technique able to detect) Infra-red, layer upon layer, flash or no flash, what should I do & what kind of programme and equipment to use? Am about to start a research/data project and many sites are far and difficult to access, so it is a once off opportunity and when there, have to photograph and capture in best possible way in order to safeguard and share this great heritage in digital image. I really really appreciate if any of you could advice me! Kind regards, Natasja
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 02:00 AM

Question Rock Art, how to photograph

Hello everyone, I am new to your site and am not sure how it all works. Any way my question is if anybody can advise me on how to best photograph faded rock art. I know there is a technique available to enhance faded, weathered images. (Colours: yellow, red, black & white, invisible for the eye, but with digital technique able to detect) Infra-red, layer upon layer, flash or no flash, what should I do & what kind of programme and equipment to use? Am about to start a research/data project and many sites are far and difficult to access, so it is a once off opportunity and when there, have to photograph and capture in best possible way in order to safeguard and share this great heritage in digital image. I really really appreciate if any of you could advice me! Kind regards, Natasja
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 02:03 AM

Question Rock Art, how to photograph

Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 08:43 AM

Re: Rock Art, how to photograph

If the art is "invisible for the eye" how do you know where to aim the camera?

I have photographed some rock art. About the only thing I have done special is on a couple I used a bit of HDR to pull some stuff out of the shadows.

In post, sometimes a bit of curves or hue and saturation maybe called for.

If you are hiking in a long ways, then perhaps some kind of backup for the card in your camera is called for so you do not have all your eggs in one basket.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 09:59 AM

Question Re: Rock Art/fingerprint technique-identification?

Dear Mike, thank you for your reply. Of course the art is not totally invisible, but many times so badly weathered that it is difficult, hardly or not possible with the 'naked' eye to see what the initial image/painting portrays. Thereby as a 3-Dimensional spiritual canvass approach people over thousands of years have painted upon paintings. As mentioned in former mail I know there is a technique -but don't know how & am trying/hoping to find out- which is able to capture the weathered (hardly visible) paint residues at site and which than is enhanced/made visible through a specific technique/image manipulation photo programme. Maybe, as I just read, comparable with the latent fingerprint identification as mentioned in the forensic forum of this site? Would this be an option and who could advise? Again, I highly appreciate your response and guidance! Kind regards, Natasja
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 11:22 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasja View Post
Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, have fun!

Perhaps if you posted an example of what you have photographed and classified as "Rock art" we could offer better sugestions

If you use Photoshop you can post fairly large pictures which are under 100k using the 'save for web' function in Photoshop as described here: Size, Quality and/or Format your Attached Images.. (Click here)

How to attach Files/Images to your Posts or Threads: (Click here)

If you want to post a larger resolution that is over 100K then you can host your image elsewhere and attach a link in the thread, but also please attach an under 100K version (so the thread remains useful in the future, regardless of external links).

Other Hosts if you do not have your own site: ImageVenue.com (3Meg max, free) pixentral.com (2Meg max, free) photobucket.com (1 Meg max free, 5 Meg PRO) mediafire.com (100 Meg per file, free) post a link in the thread to the site that is hosting the larger image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-08-2010, 11:07 PM

Question Re: Rock Art, how to photograph-Fingerprint IDtech

Dear OlBaldy, Thank you! See reply to Mike for a better understanding & attached picture. "As mentioned in former mail I know there is a technique -but don't know how & am trying/hoping to find out- which is able to capture the weathered (hardly visible) paint residues at site and which than is enhanced/made visible through a specific technique/image manipulation photo programme. Maybe, as I just read, comparable with the latent fingerprint identification as mentioned in the forensic forum of this site? Would this be an option and who could advise? Again, I highly appreciate your response and guidance! Kind regards, Natasja
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Natasja RetouchPro.JPG (73.8 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 12:34 AM
Patron

Re: Rock Art, how to photograph-Fingerprint IDtech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasja View Post
Dear OlBaldy, Thank you! See reply to Mike for a better understanding & attached picture. "As mentioned in former mail I know there is a technique -but don't know how & am trying/hoping to find out- which is able to capture the weathered (hardly visible) paint residues at site and which than is enhanced/made visible through a specific technique/image manipulation photo programme. Maybe, as I just read, comparable with the latent fingerprint identification as mentioned in the forensic forum of this site? Would this be an option and who could advise? Again, I highly appreciate your response and guidance! Kind regards, Natasja
To enhance your primitive cave or rock art... You might try the Color Deconvolution Plug-in as I did here after doing a levels

I used the deconvolution in different layer modes and at various opacities then blended the final merge with the original

Good Luck !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deconvolution_layers.jpg (186.3 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-09-2010, 10:26 PM

i would try a number of ways, the first being bracketed shots at +1/-1 ev and maybe +.5/-.5. essentially this is the same sort of thing as mike's saying hdr but without the hdr post software.

your lighting is critical. rock generally isnt very reflective, but watch for it. if the subject is in direct sunlight you may have to shade it a bit or watch the angle at which you take it. i'm also guessing you're not taking your own lighting equipment, but let us know if that's not the case. if it's not in sunlight and in a cave or something, you're going to have to rely on a flash. again, bracketing here can save some time.

if it's indoors/cave/low light of some sort, try to get some natural lighting on the subject if possible and keep your iso as low as you can and use a tripod. high iso's sometimes tend to produce noise in low light... depends somewhat on the camera, too.

but, if it's outdoors and conditions arent that bad, just use bracketing with auto-focus and auto everything and see what you get. like i say, rock is generally pretty non-reflective. i mean, you do have a review pic button

oh, and even if you arent going to lug around a lot of lighting equipment, you might want to take one reflector if for no other reason than to direct some light into a darker area to avoid flash.

for a lens, a normal 50-55mm shld do fine for most stuff.

oh, and here's possibly the best tip i can give you for this, use a polarizing lens if you're working in sunlight. it can give you better detail and less flare/reflectivity and make the rock look better. a u-v lens would probably help a little, too, but the polarizing shld be best for outdoor sunlight shots.

now, if you're really feeling risky, take a bucket of water with you and if the art can stand it, wet the rock. this will most likely give you a lot better contrast between the rock and art. test this carefully first. you dont want to wipe out the art
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-10-2010, 03:13 AM

Re: Rock Art, how to photograph-Fingerprint IDtech

Dear OlBaldy, Thank you so much! This is what I am looking for, am so thrilled about the possibilities, now I have to study & master it! Kind regards, Natasja
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography