Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Open Air Wedding Question ...

Old 08-04-2010, 05:02 AM
Open Air Wedding Question ...

hello all

i shoot weddings and most of them open air

i have lens 24-70 f2.8 and speedlite 580 ex ii

but problem in that no bouncing ceil bcoz its open air

so for me there are much light systems there and i have to capture them in the photos so i increase my iso.... and i catch them but quality of the photo is low

is there any way to capture those moments with excellent quality and little iso

some of my work :

Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Re: Open Air Wedding Question ...

Some digital cameras have very good performance at high iso settimgs while others produce very noisy images. You may want to check the camera's specs and perhaps buy one with a low noise / low light sensor. Another important part of your tool kit should be a good noise reduction filter to compliment whatever photo editing s/w you use.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2010, 10:43 AM

Quite honestly I have been up to this photography thing for a minute or two and I must first say that I am not too terribly disturbed by any noise you have. I'd like to see some more of your work to see what style your shooting it, i.e.; glamour, documentary, traditional, etc. With a tweak here and there you could be on the way to having a nice little style that is kind of all your own but to have that happen you’re going to have to make a lot of exposures to get your exposures down. See, in my opinion an exposure does not have to be perfect as long as it is under your control and very pleasing to the eye and you are already headed in your own little direction. I don't know your level of expertise, i.e.' if you have been shooting for a very long time or just walking into the room but if you are in the first steps of your career I can see some promise in the possible direction you are headed. I'd like to know if you are familiar with the term "dragging the shutter". This process could add some extra depth and dimension to your work, saturating colors and giving great feelings of movement within each frame. I don't mean to speak down to you but if you don't understand please feel free to ask more questions (any that you chose) and I'll get back to you as quick as possible. Meanwhile saturate yourself with images from books, magazines, other photographers, etc. Again, please don't be shy about asking questions.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-04-2010, 11:17 AM

Mawake3, I see great expressions captured in your images - joy, excitement, and tenderness. These will be treasured for years by the couple and their families.

Is the magenta cast (color tint) in the photos from the lighting at the event, or does your camera always add a magenta cast? I had one camera that added such a cast, and have one now that does not.

Be sure to take Sweetlight (Chris) up on his offer to answer questions (you can use the private messaging on the forum if you want) - he is an experienced photographer. You seem to be eager to learn more about lighting from other posts that you have written. Good luck in your work!
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 PM

i did a little adjusting on one of the photos. not much. i did a color balance, channel mixer and hue/sat, all three as adjustment layers. i then copy merged and pasted as new layer and then ran some denoiser on the whole. i'd have cropped the picture but weddings and such folks often like to see who was there as much as the main object of the photo, so i left that part alone. the same applies for blurring the background. you could, but weddings and parties and such, again, folks often want to see who was there and so on.

low light shooting is some of the most difficult. you want to raise the iso and open the aperture up, but like someone said above, different cameras handle high iso better and worse, so if you're shooting a lot of this type, definitely research that aspect of whatever cameras you're looking at. and sites like it can help you with that.

and, if you're fairly successful at what you're doing, you might invest in an assistant to help with lighting or pre-plan the lighting of the entire event yourself. also, invest in photoshop and such skills. post-processing can do some amazing things these days.

the shot isnt bad. you caught a good moment. but photography is ALL about the light. so, if you're going to paint with light, invest in the equipment that allows you to do that well and the skills and the knowledge of the equipment and that will take you a long ways
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39629-psp-1-k-1rp.jpg (190.3 KB, 14 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-06-2010, 11:51 AM

thanks all for replying really helpfull but i think my camera is good or better than others in high iso i have canon 550 d
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography