RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Chat Room

Photography Both digital and film

How to: get sharp photos - Peak of Action

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-24-2010, 12:14 PM

How to: get sharp photos - Peak of Action

Moose Peterson, for those who don't know the name, is a veteran wildlife photographer who also has written numerous manuals to help folks use their Nikon camera equipment better. I've enjoyed a lot of his info and photos for the past 15+ years, and thought I'd let you get the benefit of his experience.

The video explaining peak of action is below the quotes, if you don't want to read. For those who would like to know more about Moose's point of view, here's a couple of quotes --

From one of Moose's "Friday Thoughts" --
Quote:
"...Knowledge is such a powerful tool in whatever endeavor you might tackle in life. This is especially true in wildlife photography. The knowledge starts with the basics of f/stop and shutter speed and advances to the knowledge of light. Itís from light that all our images are born. This then progresses to applying this knowledge to our subject. With wildlife, we commonly start and are pleased with just finding the critter and getting a sharp image. But as we all know, thatís not the end all of critter photos. What gets you to the end all is, knowledge."
Quote:
...To master photography is to master light, seeing when it's perfect and when it's not. The threshold of perfect or not perfect is all in the eyes of the beholder. It comes down to what you see and what you want to communicate about what you're seeing.
Quote:
Engage the brain before shooting

Peak of Action
(click on the video below the coyote photo)

Last edited by CJ Swartz; 08-24-2010 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added a quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:07 PM

Re: How to: get sharp photos - Peak of Action

nice site. but, what is 'peak of action'? i found no definition of it on his site. i think i may know, but would nice to see his definition.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraellin View Post
nice site. but, what is 'peak of action'? i found no definition of it on his site. i think i may know, but would nice to see his definition.
Craig - did you watch the video of the coyote eating the elk carcass? It's right below the photo of the coyote.

At 1:03 in the video, he explains how the coyote is at the "peak of action" - the best time to shoot to get the tack-sharp image.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:43 PM

ah, ok. and no, i didnt watch the vid... ok, now i've watched it. that's what i thought it was, but just wanted to make sure. i've used this many times. this actually gives you a bit of prediction, too, though he didnt mention that. with the coyote, you know he's going to look up every few seconds and you can use that knowingness to get your shot ready and predict when to click. i'd just never heard it called that before, but it's a good tip

and that's a good site. lots of good stuff there!