RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Nikon D70 and SB-600 help

Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 AM

Nikon D70 and SB-600 help

Hey guys,
I'm needing help with my external flash. How do I get it to fire when it's not hooked to the camera? I don't have a remote or whatever, I just want to hold it with my other hand. Someone told me I could do this but they couldn't remember how to set it up for this. I tried to go by the manual instructions and got lost. I couldn't get the correct menu to come up on the flash. I put the camera in commander mode but can't figure out how to set the group and channel on the flash. Can anyone help with this? Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 12:22 PM

Re: Nikon D70 and SB-600 help

This should get you started with your flash settings for using it remotely:

Turn flash on
Hold Zoom and “-“ for 2 seconds
Press Mode
Hold Zoom and “-“ for 2 seconds
Press Mode to select Channel and “+” and “-“ to change the value
Press Mode to select Group and “+” and “-“ to change the value

Make sure your on-camera flash in in Commander Mode and the Group and Channel settings match.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 12:37 PM

Thank you. I was going by the manual for what the camera group and channel settings are but is there a way to check this on the camera? Also, the group is supposed to be a letter right? I can't get a letter to come up on the flash. I'm very new with this external flash so sorry if I'm not making any sense. There's M 1/1, 1/64, etc, then when I press + or - then it brings up another little box with 0.0 and changing that changes the M number. Am I doing something wrong? When I press Mode again those numbers go away and it doesn't look like I can change anything else.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 12:48 PM

I haven't used the D70, but there should be a menu option for Built-in Flash where you'll find settings for Commander Mode. The M you're looking at on the flash means the flash is in manual mode and the 1/1, etc. is you output (1/1 being full). Press Mode and the Power button for 2 seconds to reset the flash to its default values and try following the instructions again in my previous post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 12:57 PM
Patron

This should help - not my work but from Ken Rockwells site

On your D70:
Use P, S, A or M exposure mode.
Press MENU. Go to the yellow wrench menu, and be sure CSM MENU is set to DETAILED. Otherwise you won't see the next setting!
Go to the CSM menu which looks like a purple pencil. Set #19, Flash Mode, to "COMMANDER MODE." Further click to the right to set the commander mode to "TTL."
You also may set the commander mode to Manual or AA, which are other modes to fire the remote flash. The SB-600 only works with TTL and Manual. You set the manual power level at the camera.
Don't forget to POP UP THE BUILT-IN FLASH!

On your SB-600:
Hold down ZOOM and "-" together to enter the CSM settings. That's why you see a gray "CSM" marking between those two buttons.
Press either the + or - buttons until you see an icon that looks like a wiggly Z-shaped arrow. This arrow refers to wireless communication between the flash and camera. When you see the wiggly arrow, press MODE to make it say ON.
Press ZOOM and "-" together to get out of the CSM mode. Even easier, just tap the power button to get back to normal operation. It won't turn off if you hit it while in the CSM settings.
Presuming you did this correctly you'll see "CHannel 3" and "GROUP A" displayed. If you see different channels or groups then press MODE to get one or the other to flash and then the + or - buttons to set them back to 3 and A. No, I have no idea why these are the settings you have to use instead of 1 and A; 3 and A are what you need to talk to the D70's built in flash. If you get smart and choose others then it won't work. The other channels and groups are for people much smarter than I who want to try to rig up a zillion flashes to work together and control them all separately and remotely. I prefer professional studio strobes if I'm using more than one strobe at a time.
The SB-600 doesn't go into standby in this mode, so you can run down your batteries if you forget and leave it this way. It just sits there blinking its little red LEDs visible from the front.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2010, 01:05 PM

Just figured it out, Thank you! I was doing it wrong.

Tony W - "Presuming you did this correctly you'll see "CHannel 3" and "GROUP A" displayed."

I was not doing this correctly. :o)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography