RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Patrick Demarchelier lighting how to?

Old 11-21-2010, 04:33 PM

Patrick Demarchelier lighting how to?

Patrick Demarchelier, whose lighting techniques always seem to fascinate me, prompted me to find out how he does his lighting set ups for the photo attached. Does anyone have a clue and help me out? By the way, he's the one who shoots famous brands like L'Oreal, BCBG Maxazria, Moschino, etc.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Odu7eqW6gA...chelier+01.JPG

Thanks,

GN
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Re: Patrick Demarchelier lighting how to?

GN, those photographers working with great lighting systems such as Bronocolor or Profoto, so they have a lot of options of those, like 5-8 heads, different diffusers, panels, strips, reflectors,...etc. then they have those retouchers to have the results at best, so if you will know that he was using 5 Profoto lights, will you go and buy 5 Profoto lights, if not then will you asking us how we can make his lighting effect done with 1 light or 2 if he was using 5 or more maybe?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-21-2010, 09:18 PM

What's great about him is his simplicity and I believe in this shot it's one large umbrella or octabank and a large reflector on the opposite side.... he does clean and elegant very well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2010, 05:42 PM

I agree. His simplicity is what makes his work pop.

@Tareq: I didn't specifically mean which or how many lights (or type of lights) but rather just trying to decode his lighting method. Is it a natural light source? Octabank as the person above said? How many lights were there? Reflectors? Etc. I was thinking there might've been at least 3 lights and that this can be accomplished with similar results. Of course this is why I asked because I am open to people's input. Cheers!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-22-2010, 07:39 PM

In studio he uses 1 large soft light source (usually Octabank with flash head in it).....
look at these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Te48JZTKU0
http://www.mod-tv.com/tag/patrick-demarchelier/
He keeps it simple and beautiful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
In studio he uses 1 large soft light source (usually Octabank with flash head in it).....
look at these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Te48JZTKU0
http://www.mod-tv.com/tag/patrick-demarchelier/
He keeps it simple and beautiful.
Thanks!!! Although I see another light source behind Emma Watson (or something else? Its a stand behind her... Wonder what that is).
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2010, 03:21 PM

And don't forget he was using Hasselblad, so it is like you use normal camera with many lights or 1-2 lights with so expensive high end camera, hehehe
about 95% of all those photographers who you are asking about their effects or retouching i find out they are using high end gear, we always saying it is not the equipment or gear but then when i look at their websites and video tutorials i found out as i said that they using high end gear either with cameras or lighting, and i know that gear doesn't make someone better but if i am a pro and expert enough in my skill why i buy a high end if i can do amazing perfect work with low end gear?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gng11 View Post
Thanks!!! Although I see another light source behind Emma Watson (or something else? Its a stand behind her... Wonder what that is).
I'm sure it's just a stand..... as I said it's one large, soft source... there is no mystery formula.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-23-2010, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
I'm sure it's just a stand..... as I said it's one large, soft source... there is no mystery formula.
Right. Would it be a 135 cm octabox or larger?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-24-2010, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gng11 View Post
Right. Would it be a 135 cm octabox or larger?
Octobanks or natural lighting (you can still use mirrors, diffusers, etc. to modify it) are your cheapest options for oversized lighting. 135cm isn't going to feel like a large lighting source lighting anyone head to toe. You'd probably be happier with the largest octobank and even then I'd rent it before you buy one. Briese and Broncolor both make higher end solutions for a really soft diffused look but they cost a fortune.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography