RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

How often do you photograph?

Old 12-08-2010, 04:26 AM
Janitor

How often do you photograph?

My Nikon D7000 just arrived today. I still can't use it, the memory cards shipped separately. Plus it's 19F degrees out. But this camera has for the first time in years got me interested in taking pictures again (thanks again, CJ).

But this has me wondering: how often do you go out photographing?

Do you carry your camera with you at all times, or do you go back and get it if you see something interesting? Or do you make a date and head out hoping to find something?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2010, 07:10 AM

Re: How often do you photograph?

Hi! To me photographing is a matter of mood...If I have money issues or worried about my family or my employment, I don't want to go outside, I don't bother taking my small Lumix in my handbag. But when I feel enlightened ( ) or simply fulfilled or happy, I would take a wooden 8*10 in my handbag and take pictures of the north pole in my swimsuit. I must admit at the moment I barely shoot anything. It's Christmas time, and always been bad times for me
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2010, 08:29 AM

Nowadays i always carry my D3 in the boot of the car after cursing so many times that i wished i had it with me and consequently missing many opportunities :-))
Congrats on the D7000, it's a great bit of kit and i guess we are all looking forward to seeing some of your new images up here soon :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 AM

Thank goodness you didn't post this as a poll bcs I would have had no idea how to answer.

I shoot-
when I have an idea and/or when someone has just given me flowers

if there's light (I check the weather and 'plan' a shoot if it appears there might be sun)

Sometimes I need to get out and away so I just grab a camera and my ipod and walk around the local footpaths

I think my best pictures are of when I decided to just follow the light or when I am plagued by my muses

HTH - Nancy

I agree with Algarve Images ~ can't wait to see you put your new glass through it's paces :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2010, 11:27 AM

I've been shooting more often this couple of years -- I joined some Meetup photography groups so that I would hear about more events / locations to take my camera to shoot; I took an online class at the PPSOP to practice my skills, which required me to submit images each week; I bought some lighting equipment which inspired me to make some images indoors with flash/umbrella setup. I know people who take a camera with them everywhere, but I usually take it only when I'm planning on using it. I went years without shooting when I was busy working, but always considered photography to be my hobby; I like it better when I'm actually shooting it at least every week, if not every day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Let's see, I take my camera(s) with me:
  • Every time I travel on vacation, for work etc
  • Every time I go somewhere that I have never been regardless of being close by or far way
  • Every time my wife and I go out on a Sunday to picnic
  • Every time I go to a car show or rally
To and from work, I never carry the camera(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post

...how often do you go out photographing?
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Nelson View Post
My Nikon D7000 just arrived today. I still can't use it, the memory cards shipped separately. Plus it's 19F degrees out. But this camera has for the first time in years got me interested in taking pictures again (thanks again, CJ).

But this has me wondering: how often do you go out photographing?

Do you carry your camera with you at all times, or do you go back and get it if you see something interesting? Or do you make a date and head out hoping to find something?

I don't carry mine with me all the time-- I keep it safely packed when I'm not at a shoot. It's not very often I'll go out for random shooting.

I was thinking of getting one of those new pocket SLRs for keeping on me all the time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2010, 06:32 PM

Congrats Doug!!! I was just reading about the D7000 yesterday, would you believe it? True.
Lucky man.

I shoot mostly, every day. Seriously. Usually nothing special or important, but yes, every day. Carry one with me even walking the dog. I'd feel lost without it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2010, 08:51 PM

doug,

good to see you getting back into the saddle.

i carry my camera with me always. i wear the thing on my belt in a pouch, in fact. since i'm outdoors working fairly often this works out well.

however, i missed a golden shot today. i was running a tractor and cutting firewood and looked upwards as something caught my eye. as i looked i saw the very distinct features of a bald eagle soaring on the thermals, gaining height and he wasnt very far away or very high yet. by the time i was no longer totally awestruck captivated enough to think 'take a picture!' i had already scared him with the noise of the tractor and he was moving higher and further away and so i lost the shot. mind you, this took almost no time. had the camera been in the house it would have been even worse and longer. having one's camera to hand can make all the difference in the world, unless of course you forget to think that one important thought, 'take the picture!'

with expensive equipment it gets harder. carrying thousands of dollars of equipment around in a bag or case becomes a bit of a problem, especially at those times one gets tempted to leave it in the car, which is the worst thing one can do with camera equipment, short of just giving it away. so, with compact cameras getting better and better and even phone cameras getting a lot better, one option is to always carry a decent compact or phone type for that spur of the moment shot and then plan full photographic trips with the heavy gear.

and as to how often, when i get up in the morning and look outside, even before morning coffee sometimes, i'll step outside with my camera and take a shot of something, anything and sometimes the same thing occurs just before sunset. one of my favorite things to do when i go to town is to go to some place like Lowes or Home Depot and visit their garden department, which often has an outside flower display. i can spend an hour or more just taking pictures of all their flowering plants. who needs woods and gardens?

other times i'll just pull out my camera while sitting at home and start taking practice shots of anything from my blue jeaned knee to the fire in the fireplace or whatever is on tv. lol. i also keep the camera manual handy for testing and learning purposes. each camera is different and just when you think you know how to do something because you learned it on another camera, you find you dont have a clue how to do it on the one you now have in your hands. so, practice and study are important and with digital who cares if you take 1000 practice shots and delete the whole batch. heck, my memory card is 16 gigs on my favorite camera and it tickles the heck out of me that the little lcd display tells me i've still got 3, 223 pictures left that i can take! hehe, i remember the days of 24 and 36 shots per roll of film and the endless hassles that caused, so having over 3000 left to take just brings a smile to my face every time!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2010, 06:46 PM

Normally I carry my camera everywhere I go unless I really don't want to lug it around with me. (Haha it's not really that heavy unless I put the flash on it; but still).

However I normally shoot several times through the week. If I don't have my camera with me I usually find that I lost out on an opportunity to shoot. That being said I'm trying to carry it with me literally everywhere I go but it proves to be troublesome at times as well... Especially for the fact I live in the city and I don't like carrying it around with me at night.

Ordinarily I take it with me on Wens and Thurs, at least this semester, considering I go to school those days and especially on the field trips for my Bay Area Architecture class.

So I guess to answer you fully, I NORMALLY have it with me and I NORMALLY shoot quite often, but I have slacked off in the past and lost awesome images because of it.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography