RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Do you think I'm crazy?

Old 05-24-2011, 12:24 AM
Patron

Re: Do you think I'm crazy?

Well, if you haven't seen the results, that tells you something

I actually think your 85mm shot looks much better. It has a lot more to do with the composition, posing and processing than with the focal length.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post
Well, if you haven't seen the results, that tells you something

I actually think your 85mm shot looks much better. It has a lot more to do with the composition, posing and processing than with the focal length.
Well, Kanarek is a well known Fashion Photographer, if he uses a Pentax 50mm for beauty there has to be a good reason or an advantage. Or maybe he just wants to be different, theories good sir?
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 AM
Patron

Also, with regards to Karanek, he may be successful and well known, but he's pretty off-base in saying 85mm is 80s and 90s. The angles and perspectives that show people best have never changed over time.

Take a look at --> www.slickforce.com

You'll notice that all the amazing models there are shot with their faces at the same angle. That's the same angle used in Venus de Milo back in ancient Greek days. Why? because it's beautiful. The human face has not changed that much. Learn good posing and learn the right angles of the face to photograph and you'll be much more successful than you will get following the advice of people who say beautiful, quality pictures are "so 80s and 90s".
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2011, 01:26 AM

I wish I could afford a 200mm or a 300mm... Ah!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2011, 02:02 AM
Patron

First things first - use what you have to its fullest advantage. Then you'll have the tools to use other equipment when you can afford it. With a D700 and multiple Nikkors you have an "ultimate" camera/lens combination(s). Don't covet something else, that's very easy to do and we all fall prey to that.

But always, always remember --> It's not the equipment, it's the eye. If you're a good photographer you can literally use a good point and shoot to outdo someone with a top DSLR who's not as good at seeing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-24-2011, 02:50 PM

85mm it is then! Even though I'll have to crop!
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-29-2011, 12:45 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhotographer View Post
85mm it is then! Even though I'll have to crop!
That's the spirit!

Believe me, your willingness to sacrifice your personal shooting preferences like focal length in pursuit of excellence will pay off for you -- big time -- in the long run.

Here's a no-cost resource that will help you stand out among the competition if you learn its principles, practice them, and apply them diligently:

The Joe Zeltsman Approach to Classical Portraiture

These are the principles behind those stunning model portfolio shots on www.slickforce.com

Don't be misled by the stiff, stuffy-looking poses in the article. It's the principles being taught that matter. Learn those well and you'll be able to make any model look like an angel. And unlike most photographers you won't have to rely on the models being experienced, you'll be able to take anybody off the street and make them look like a movie star.

Check out my Portraits portfolio.

None of the people in there were professional models, they were customers - neighbors, friends and friends of friends, work colleagues, etc. Just ordinary people.

When you get even more advanced with knowing those poses you'll be able to capture them "in flight" -- anticipate the pose then snap the shutter at the right time to grab it. There are some good examples in my:If you learn the Joe Zeltsman poses you'll see that almost every photo I have in my galleries illustrates one or more of those classic poses, just applied to today's subjects.

The photographic skills needed to capture musicians in mid-performance are the same skills needed to capture models in action. The same skills needed to direct people into poses to create beautiful, classic portraits that look relaxed, confident and natural are the same skills needed to direct models into the most flattering positions for their faces and clothing.

Learning the poses and directing people into them -- without looking stiff, forced and posed -- will probably be the most difficult and at times frustrating skill you learn as a photographer. It takes time and practice, and there's no silver bullet or easy shortcuts. It's much harder than learning lighting, which is why fewer and fewer photographers today know how to do it well.

And -- worst of all for most photographers -- if you walk this road you have to take all the blame yourself for any bad picture. You can never blame the model, it's always the photographer's fault if the image is not flattering. But it's well, well worth learning, sweating over and practicing.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 05-29-2011 at 12:54 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2011, 03:43 AM

When i shoot with my Canon DSLR [Full Frame] then the most lens i use for portraits is 24-70 at 60-70mm, i have 70-200 but i don't use it much for that, and i have 85mm 1.8 but it is tight most of the time, but i am happy to use 50mm as well, but i found that in the studio when the space is tight then i can use something in 40-70 FL range, if i am in open space then i can go with 70-200.
When i use my medium format camera, then the only lens i use for portraits is 80mm [which is equivalent to about 45mm in 35mm format], it is amazing lens, but i heard a lot recommending me to go with 100mm, i hope i can afford it sooner or later, but i have also Macro 120mm, it is also unbelievable lens, but it is so heavy and slow focus and tight long FL for portraits.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2011, 04:02 AM
Patron

You're doing well.

Your 80mm medium format is actually nearly perfect. It has a field of view of a 45mm for a 35mm camera, but the perspective will be closer to that of an 80mm on a 35mm. Depending on the distance to the subject if it's close-focusing. The difference between an 80mm and 100mm is minimal, I really would not worry about that at all. Just step back a little farther if you can, then crop. Turns out the distance from the lens to the subject determines perspective no matter what the lens' focal length. Neat fact to keep in mind

Regarding your Canon, you're doing the right thing. In tight quarters you don't have much choice except to use the 24-70 because your 70-200mm will not focus in that close (if it operates like the Nikon, and I imagine it does). That's actually why a good number of portrait photographers who are full-time have studios that have long distances between them and their subjects - they want to use 70-200mm for 35mm cameras, or use 120-180mm for medium format cameras, and the minimum focusing distances are too far away to use in a small room.

In my 85mm recommendation to ThePhotographer I was assuming he is shooting outside or in a large studio because that's the only way he'd have to crop an 85mm shot (it implies he's far enough from the subject to have to crop an image captured with a medium telephoto).

In the end, it's just like the old saying "the best camera is the one you have with you." The best lens is the one that will do the job in your circumstances.
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-01-2011, 12:01 AM
Patron

Hi, Everybody,

I'm sorry but my url above no longer goes to the Joe Zeltsman book. That book is getting very hard to find online. And I've not found it in print.

Here is the url I originally got the book from:

http://blog.kitfphoto.com/Zeltsman/chapter-01.html

Again, please don't focus on the old, stiff-looking photos (though a good number do look alive ). Focus on the principles being taught by the text. It will improve your people photography noticeably if you practice the principles regarding angles of peoples' faces.

Last edited by RobertAsh; 06-01-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography