RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photography Both digital and film. Discussions about cameras, gear, exposure, technique, and sharing your photography

Do you think I'm crazy?

Old 10-14-2011, 09:33 AM

Re: Do you think I'm crazy?

I can't believe that in all these posts that no one suggested the obvious answer.
If you do not own the right lens for a short term shoot, just rent the lenses you need.
No long term capital outlay and you get to use the lens you think is best for your shoot.
"results will vary" :^)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-17-2011, 09:00 AM

To RoberAsh, thank you for all the information regarding portrait lens' and the link to Joe Zeltsman's book, it is very helpful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhotographer View Post
Thing is my only other lens is an 85mm 1.8D Nikkor, problem is that it's not weather sealed and we are planning on rain. I never carry umbrellas, I hate it, used to be a Pentax shooter so weather never was an issue before.
If I knew I was going to be shooting outside and expected rain, I think I'd get someone to hold an umbrella over me no matter what lens I was using! Why risk expensive gear getting wet and also compromise your lens choice when there is a simple solution?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post
That's the same angle used in Venus de Milo back in ancient Greek days.
Venus De Milo is a sculpture that you can walk round and view from any angle Perhaps you mean the Mona Lisa?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 05:51 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryduns View Post
Venus De Milo is a sculpture that you can walk round and view from any angle Perhaps you mean the Mona Lisa?
No, I mean Venus de Milo. In traditional classic posing and lighting the subject is in roughly a Venus de Milo pose and the camera "walks" around them. For some more detail on this please see the Zeltsmann article I shared above.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2011, 05:52 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by CathyH View Post
To RobertAsh, thank you for all the information regarding portrait lens' and the link to Joe Zeltsman's book, it is very helpful.
Thanks, Cathy Very, very glad it was of help.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2011, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertAsh View Post
No, I mean Venus de Milo. In traditional classic posing and lighting the subject is in roughly a Venus de Milo pose and the camera "walks" around them. For some more detail on this please see the Zeltsmann article I shared above.
Ah, sorry, I thought you meant the specific angle of the head in relation to the lens - a lot of the Slickforce shots seem to have the model's head turned at a uniform angle, kind of 3/4 on to the camera, which was what led me to the Mona Lisa reference.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-11-2011, 02:10 PM
Patron

Hi Harry, you're exactly right. If you go to Wikipedia.com and look up Venus de Milo, then look up Mona Lisa you'll see both artworks have their subjects in almost the same pose. In the Wikipedia photo, if you walk around Venus de Milo counter-clockwise you'll get to the same pose as the Mona Lisa is sitting in. Pretty neat, no?

It's called a 2/3 view of the face from the position from which the Mona Lisa is painted, and is typically the most attractive angle from which to view a subject if it's handled correctly. www.Slickforce.com has this angle down pat. They're great at it.

Venus de Milo pre-dates the Mona Lisa. All the classic Renaissance artists - da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Raphael, etc. used these same poses and angles to do their classic paintings as the Venus de Milo carver used to carve that statue.

So in that sense, you're right and I did mean the Mona Lisa -- too

Good classic portraiture (or good contemporary portraiture like Slickforce.com's) is based on those same principles and angles that worked so well a couple thousand years ago and longer. And that still work very, very well today.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photography