RetouchPRO

RetouchPRO (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/)
-   Photography (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photography/)
-   -   Do you think I'm crazy? (http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/photography/33325-do-you-think-im-crazy.html)

ThePhotographer 05-23-2011 11:40 PM

Do you think I'm crazy?

I want to use a 50mm for my next beauty shoot rather than the 85mm because I can get much closer with it and won't have to crop which I hate. I know some people will say 'The nose gets bigger bla bla bla' but I think the difference between 50mm and 85mm (both on full frame) isn't that big. Why do I want to use my 50mm other than being able to get closer? It's weather sealed and has a better aperture.

RobertAsh 05-23-2011 11:43 PM

Re: Do you think I'm crazy?

You'll distort people's features if you get too close with a normal lens. It won't be flattering. Especially if their body is at an angle to your shooting plane. That's ok now and then for special effects but it's not flattering and it won't sell your work or encourage people to come to you for flattering pictures of themselves.

It's best to stick with 85-135mm lenses for head shots even for crop-sensor format. 50mm are good for full-body shots or for couples or small groups.

ThePhotographer 05-23-2011 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobertAsh (Post 291569)
You'll distort people's features if you get too close with a normal lens. It won't be flattering. Especially if their body is at an angle to your shooting plane. That's ok now and then for special effects but it's not flattering and it won't sell your work or encourage people to come to you for flattering pictures of themselves.

It's best to stick with 85-135mm lenses for head shots even for crop-sensor format. 50mm are good for full-body shots or for couples or small groups.

Thing is my only other lens is an 85mm 1.8D Nikkor, problem is that it's not weather sealed and we are planning on rain. I never carry umbrellas, I hate it, used to be a Pentax shooter so weather never was an issue before.

RobertAsh 05-23-2011 11:50 PM

ThePhotographer,

I really like your style. A woman's heart is indeed the only thing in this world worth stealing :)

If you have a high-end Nikon you have the same weather-sealing as a Pentax (I've owned both and love both). My Nikon D200 and D300 can take the weather, my Nikon D7000 can't quite as much. But it takes unreal quality images.

Just buckle down and do what it takes. Pursing excellence requires doing things we hate sometimes like taking umbrellas. If you have a plastic shower cap that is an old-time trick used by a lot of National Geographic and other outdoor photographers.

Do what it takes to get the shot, my friend. You'll never regret the winning image, but you'll always regret taking shortcuts that cost you quality and prevent you from delivering the best possible image to your customer.

EDIT: Believe me, I speak from experience. I cut some corners early on as a photographer that I really should not have. It cost me and even today I regret it. I don't cut corners now, I bite the bullet, suck it up, and do what it takes.

Doug Nelson 05-23-2011 11:54 PM

The 50mm advice only applies to 35mm film cameras and full-frame digital cameras. Most DSLR cameras have a focal length multiplier.

ThePhotographer 05-23-2011 11:56 PM

I have a D700 which has OK weather sealing (Pentax is still market leader when it comes to weather sealing.) but then if I put a Pinapple, sorry I mean an 85mm 1.8D on it then the lens mount becomes the weak spot because this lens has no rubber ring like the 50mm 1.4

I also have, I admit it, an Aperture complex. LOL

RobertAsh 05-23-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Nelson (Post 291572)
The 50mm advice only applies to 35mm film cameras and full-frame digital cameras. Most DSLR cameras have a focal length multiplier.

That doesn't change the perspective problem. I took a portrait once with a 70mm on a DX sensor - 1.5x multiplier. I got close thinking it would work like a 135mm. It didn't. The subject was at an angle and his elbow looks too big.

Never did that again.

The physics reason is that the crop-sensor camera is taking the middle portion of the 50mm, but the 50mm is still a 50mm. One reason for that is that the sensor sizes are close enough that they behave the same optically.

ThePhotographer 05-23-2011 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Nelson (Post 291572)

Yeah, I'm shooting Full Frame on a Nikon D700.

RobertAsh 05-23-2011 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePhotographer (Post 291573)
I have a D700 which has OK weather sealing (Pentax is still market leader when it comes to weather sealing.) but then if I put a Pinapple, sorry I mean an 85mm 1.8D on it then the lens mount becomes the weak spot because this lens has no rubber ring like the 50mm 1.4

I also have, I admit it, an Aperture complex. LOL

I understand :)

But please trust me, my friend -- use the right lens first. Don't shortcut.

If you have time, then use the 50mm afterward and compare the results. You'll have the right lens shot, plus the wrong lens shot and you can see the difference.

Nail the right shot first, then take chances and do experiments :)

ThePhotographer 05-24-2011 12:05 AM

Maybe I am just influenced by my own recent experience, I shot beauty with a model not so long ago and noticed that my 50mm shot made the model actually look much prettier than in real life while my 85mm made her look more 'normal'.

50mm:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5024/...e9841114_b.jpg

85mm:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3152/...500c14a6_z.jpg

Maybe it was an accident?

One of my favourite photographers also uses 50mm for beauty, I have never seen the results though: http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/p...ng-beauty.html